Dedicated circuit

mikeeastman

Dedicated circuit
« on: 8 Oct 2012, 02:45 pm »
I'm going to run a dedicated circuit or circuits for my new system, which has 3 GR servo amps (1 in each speaker and a sub) and mono Ncores, can I run all 5 amps off one 30 amp circuit or should I run separate circuits for Ncores? All my other gear is battery powered except dac, can I run it off the same circuit as the amps or does it need its own circuit?

saisunil

Re: Dedicated circuit
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2012, 03:20 pm »
As I understand - the advantage of running all your audio equipment off of one dedicated circuit is that it avoids ground loops. 30 amp is a lot of capability.

mark funk

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2012, 03:40 pm »
From what I have been tolded. You should not run all your stuff on one line. I run my class A fet valve amp off one line and all the other stuff off another. I have no hum!

:smoke:

jparkhur

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2012, 03:54 pm »
I did two 20 amps with good luck
ATI 1506
Outlaw 7 channel
Integra Pre
DVD Oppo
two tube amps
Nintendo
Monster power plant
TV

works well with no issues...  the 370 amps will not draw that much current..  i rarely pull more than 4 amps total..

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2012, 04:18 pm »
I had re-run a thread on dedicated lines a bit back & one piece of advise I got was that a 30amp line could possibly be not to code if you don't use receptacles rated for 30amps - and these kind of receptacles don't use the kind of plugs that standard AV gear uses.  So if for some reason you're worried about meeting code, then 20amp max would be best.  I also think for safety it's better to run multiple 20amps vs one 30amp. 

I personally think 2 lines of 10 gauge romex is best, but to save some hassle & money I used one run of 10-3 U-FB (4 conductors) and ran two conductors to one receptacle & two to the other receptacle.  Of course both these receptacles where ganged together in one box. 

Some people suggest using 10-3 NMB because the conductors are twisted about each other, potentially assisting w/ grounding issues.  I decided not to obsess to much on that detail and just run w/ the flat UF-B class which was somewhat cheaper.  I've not had ground hum issues.

mikeeastman

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2012, 04:49 pm »
I'm not using any receptacles, all PC will be hardwired  in a j-box with dedicated line or lines. The servo amp will still have iecs ( don't want to mess with Danny's new creation :nono:). I have some 8/2 w/gr that I'm having cryoed. Also my situation is different in that I live off the grid and my power is supplied by an inverter. Would it help if the ground in the dedicated circuit sub panel is run straight to ground rather than back through main panel?