Servo sub cabinet

mikeeastman

Servo sub cabinet
« on: 27 Feb 2012, 09:36 pm »
I'm building a version of the sandbox cabinet, first pic of inner cabinet with 2 layers of sound deadening material(used to deaden car body panels), next pic with No-Rez. Should I cover the rest of the exposed area of the braces with No-Rez and what about the same area on back of inside baffle? I plan on filling the 1/2" space with lead shoot instead of sand.

keenween

Re: Servo sub cabinet
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2012, 09:42 pm »
whoa...looking good!!!

TrungT

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2012, 09:43 pm »
Mike
Looking good.  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:48 am »
Looks awesome.

You don't need to cover the braces with No Rez. Only panels that also make up an exterior wall need No Rez. The braces won't resonant the outer wall. They will keep the outer walls from resonating.

mikeeastman

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:12 am »
Thanks,

Mike

mikeeastman

« Reply #5 on: 29 Feb 2012, 04:44 pm »
I have questions, on running the wires from speaker to amp. My amp won't be attached to cabinet, should the 2 sets of wire be run through separate holes and if so how far apart, if wires run through the same hole should they be twisted together? Should I use the wire on the amp for the whole run, cutting it and attaching connecters to each end or use another wire( wire Danny sell with kits) to run from speaker to connecter and amp wire to connecter?

Thanks, Mike

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 29 Feb 2012, 04:47 pm »
No Rez is black now?   :o

mikeeastman

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm »
Covered out side of inner box with vinyl sheeting left over from acoustical panel project and have most of spacers installed.

Anyone have answer to my questions in my last post?

Thanks, Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2012, 10:35 pm »
I have questions, on running the wires from speaker to amp. My amp won't be attached to cabinet, should the 2 sets of wire be run through separate holes and if so how far apart, if wires run through the same hole should they be twisted together? Should I use the wire on the amp for the whole run, cutting it and attaching connecters to each end or use another wire( wire Danny sell with kits) to run from speaker to connecter and amp wire to connecter?

Thanks, Mike

On the Super-V's the amps are externally mounted as well. So they are connected to the amp via SpeakOn connectors.

So the wiring already on the amps are used to the SpeakOn's.

mikeeastman

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2012, 11:30 pm »
Thanks Danny.

mikeeastman

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2012, 06:14 pm »
Sub is finished, just waiting for amp.

cabinet before bottom attached. I put two coats of dampening material over vinyl.

cabinet with lead shot ,top attached and stuff with a layer of ultratouch and poly.(120# of shot, speaker is 220# without amp) that why it sitting on furniture dolly, only way I can move it around.

cabinet not that cute, but its going on a shelf in entertainment cabinet in bedroom with grill covering entire opening. until then will try out in main system. Any reason why sub can't be firing up?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2012, 06:22 pm »
I hope that is one heavy duty shelf.

vettett15

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2012, 06:34 pm »
Mike,

What is the name of the sound deadening material you are using, I believe it is that blue stuff you show...?

mikeeastman

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2012, 06:46 pm »
The deadening material is called eDead and is sold by Elemental Designs and used to deaden car body panels, it also comes in black. The shelf will be braced using  3"x3"x1/4"angle iron anchored to 2x4 walls, should hold it up.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2012, 09:29 pm »
Wow Mike, I think you win the tonnage award @ 220 lbs. :o  That's a beast!

Does one need stuffing in addition to No Rez on a sealed sub? I was thinkin' it wasn't necessary.

mikeeastman

« Reply #15 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:03 pm »
I asked Danny about using the Ultratouch with the poly, so I assume if the stuffing was unnecessary he would have said something. There is stuffing in my OB7s and it also has No Rez.

mikeeastman

« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2012, 01:03 am »
Got the beast fired up. Thats one dead box! Sounds very nice and its not even broken in. Very tight. Don't know if it makes a difference but right now I have sub aimed straight up?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #17 on: 1 Apr 2012, 04:29 pm »
That's how I have mine. :green:

mikeeastman

« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2012, 04:29 am »
Great looking sub!

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #19 on: 2 Apr 2012, 05:49 pm »
Danny can answer the vertical positioning of the driver.  It depends on the suspension - some drivers should not be mounted so that their cones are vertically oriented.  Others can take it just fine.