New ZenWave Interconnect Cable: The D5

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
New ZenWave Interconnect Cable: The D5
« on: 12 Dec 2017, 09:26 pm »

Introducing the ZenWave Audio D5 RCA Interconnect Cable

The D5 RCA interconnect cable is designed to be slightly richer and more harmonically dense vs the D4 and will match best with many low-distortion solid-state systems as well as those simply looking for a richer sound. By using my exclusive OCC silver/gold wire the resolution and clarity of pure UPOCC silver is retained, making this cable unique. Usually, to get a richer, warmer sound resolution is compromised, but not with the D5.

The D4 is intended to be perfectly neutral, a reference, and the D5 is just slightly to the warm side of neutral in comparison, with my tastes and system. However, the experience of neutral with respect to tone or timbre does depend on the system and the listener, so in some systems the D5 may be considered the most neutral choice in terms of what provides the most realistic sounding timbre.

How is this accomplished? I use 33% more signal conductor vs the D4, bringing the aggregate wire gauge to approximately 20g using four separate runs of OCC silver/gold wire. The ground/return leg is changed from 6 runs of UPOCC silver in the D4 to OCC silver/gold alloy in the D5, a total of approximately 18g.

The D5 continues to use the excellent WBT 0102 Ag RCA plugs with ZenWave's custom damping treatment.

The D3 through D5 have a new jacket design with only pure, unbleached cotton and teflon used underneath the elegant techflex-mesh outer jacket. The new design improves mechanical damping quite a bit while also improving aesthetics and durability.

The D5 is available in RCA/single ended only. Price is $1595 for a 1-meter pair or $1195 for 1/2 meter.

« Last Edit: 5 May 2018, 03:57 pm by DaveC113 »

nature boy

Re: New ZenWave Interconnect Cable: The D5
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2017, 01:02 am »
Looks like a great addition to the ZenWave cable stable Dave.  Love my D4's and D3.5 cables.

NB

advanced101

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2017, 10:28 pm »
Will these be available in DIN to RCA Config?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2017, 10:43 pm »
Thanks nature boy!

advanced101, Sure, I can custom make most anything. Shoot me a pm here or email dave@zenwaveaudio.com and let me know specifics if you're interested.

Stercom

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2017, 10:52 pm »
Very nice Dave. I'm sure they sound awesome!

pursuitofnow

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2018, 03:26 pm »
Love the aesthetic update! What are the white rings on the plugs?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2018, 04:44 pm »
Love the aesthetic update! What are the white rings on the plugs?

Those are for mechanical damping. The WBT plugs use platinum plated silver contacts which are the best in the industry, but the design can be improved with the damping rings. I also add teflon tape to the threads of the locking barrel.

If anyone wants to give the D5 a try let me know, pm me or email dave@zenwaveaudio.com

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2018, 09:30 pm »
I spent over 6 weeks auditioning the D5 Cable and comparing it to over half a dozen other cables. I can easily say that Dave has created quite a wonder with this latest D5 design! Quite frankly, I have yet to hear any cable other than this D5 completely illuminate the harmonics with amazing lushness and almost tube - like characterization. If I were to describe the effect the D5 convey, it would be like taking a magnifying glass to the delicate harmonic overtones. It actually reminds me of a similar effect that occurs when you put a very transparent, state of art tube pre-amp in place of a solid state pre-amp. What really is shocking about this cable (in a good way) is that unlike many "beautiful sounding" tube products comparably, the cable just illuminates the harmonics without any smearing or massive deviation in tonality. In actuality, I think this cable could allow users to experience the effect of adding a very high priced tube pre-amp without the expense and without the potential colored sound that is so typical of tube gear regardless of price. Could this be the "go to" interconnect for those wishing for more harmonic tone structure that is seemingly elusive from any other component upgrades? That has always been something my customers want more of from their digital, for sure!

As a side-note, I have no commercial affiliations with Dave or Zenwave. When I saw the quality of materials he was using in his interconnect line, it intrigued me and he offered to send me samples for my evaluation. I am certainly glad I had an opportunity to find a newfound cable with some interesting sonic merits witch other so called "state of the art" designs can't actually convey, comparably (at least when it comes to highlighting the delicate, rich overtones).

Eric Hider - dB audio Labs

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2018, 01:58 am »
Thanks Eric!

I like the description, this is what I'm going for with the D5. It's intended to work well in modern, low distortion systems that typically use SS electronics and speakers with very rigid diaphragms. For example Accuton drivers and their diamond tweeters or beryllium dome tweeters, which is a very popular combination these days. It's hard not to notice many owners of these systems like high end copper cables such as Jorma, Kubala Sosna and Audience Au24. These are all great cables but the harmonic richness added by these cables still sound like copper, which is a bit on the slow and warm side... and vs my D4 they lack resolution. The D5 is likely to be preferable over these cables as the harmonic richness added by the OCC silver/gold alloy wire sounds better. The gold makes for a more realistic timbre vs copper, and it reduces resolution less than copper. It's clearer vs Siltech's silver/gold cables because the wire is made using the OCC process and has no grain boundaries.

And once more, we're talking cost-no-object levels of performance for a more reasonable price... 4-5x less than brands sold through dealers. The D4 and D5 are not inexpensive but they can go head to head with anything.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2018, 08:01 pm »
Here's another review of the D5 by Jay Luong of AudioBacon:

https://audiobacon.net/2018/04/27/zenwave-audio-d5-rca-interconnect-review-a-solid-state-dream/

Thanks very much Jay!  :green:

flat4

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2018, 06:55 pm »
Guys, i hope it is ok to post here on my D3.5 XLR cables i purchased from Dave to replace my basic Canare cable. All i can say is wow! The level of detail and transparency is outstanding! I have used other high end cables in the past but nothing that compares to these and cost as little. I like a detailed and more analytical sound which these produce but i also fely i had added a tube preamp! That certain warmth and lushness as Eric mentions is amazing! I am hearing detail and information on music that i have listened to for over 30 years on many hifi transparent systems that i never knew existed. I never knew cables alone could do this.

I feel like i have the best of both worlds just by adding these XLR cables. i am getting the detailed and analytical sound of ss with warm lush sound of tube with no tube worries. Speaker cables from Dave will be next as my system is evolving. I have no need to look at any other cables at this point. Dave is very up front and is producing a quality product that is worth every penny and more in my opinion.

To the folks that do not think cables make a difference call Dave and try some of his cables and see for yourself. Really glad i took the chance!

Thanks Dave for the product, service and help by giving me the different options you offer.

« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 08:17 pm by flat4 »

jtcf

« Reply #11 on: 27 Oct 2019, 05:42 pm »
Looking for a little guidance.I'm not sure if I should go for the D4 or D5.It would be used between a MZ2 pre and an Aric Audio push pull amp.They both are tubed with new production tubes.Any NOS tubes I've tried to sweeten the sound but lose too much detail.I would like a lusher sound but not bloated and rolled off.Right now I'm using a Teo Audio ic which despite the many positive reviews is sounding harsh and grainy in the critical upper mids.I've tried several other brands of cables,moved them between dac and pre,back to between pre and amp,different tubes,etc.Wire World seems to be best between dac and pre,it totally eliminates glare.The goal is to retain transparency and sweeten the vocals.What are your thoughts Zenwave owners?

RDavidson

« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2019, 03:28 am »
Take to Dave and demo some cables. :thumb:

A_shah

« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2019, 04:15 am »
Dave , sent me a bunch of cables to try out ! that include 3  pairs Speakers cables,  a pair of DSR , D4 and the D5
My system is pretty resolving, I am not a reviewer but I can vouch for what ever Dave is saying about his cables , I normally like  to listen  for transients and like everyone else  look for  accuracy, tonality and loudness & musicality.
Dave's description on his cables are  absolutely correct .The D5 on tubes gives me the mellowness and musicality , D4 are incredibly lean, maybe a little to lean for me sometimes they seem to surprise me as to what I am listening too ? don't know if that makes any sense ?  but blend with copper SC cables they seem to have the right tonality and amplitude , I find the d5 to be pretty quite with my QuickSilver tube mono amps which have very high damping factor and low distortion at low power they  have the delicacy  efficiency and the fineness  for my horn like speakers ( although they are not horns !)  I am also getting some Wywire cables for my own satisfaction to try them out but honestly I am very very impressed with Zenwave cables , unfortunately a whole loom would cost a fortune , but worth it probably in the long run  :thumb: :popcorn: Asghar

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2019, 03:30 pm »
Looking for a little guidance.I'm not sure if I should go for the D4 or D5.It would be used between a MZ2 pre and an Aric Audio push pull amp.They both are tubed with new production tubes.Any NOS tubes I've tried to sweeten the sound but lose too much detail.I would like a lusher sound but not bloated and rolled off.Right now I'm using a Teo Audio ic which despite the many positive reviews is sounding harsh and grainy in the critical upper mids.I've tried several other brands of cables,moved them between dac and pre,back to between pre and amp,different tubes,etc.Wire World seems to be best between dac and pre,it totally eliminates glare.The goal is to retain transparency and sweeten the vocals.What are your thoughts Zenwave owners?

With a tube system most folks will prefer the D4, it has a touch of sweetness, but really just enough to make for proper tone and realistic sounding timbre. The D5 will add more warmth but is also a bit softer and smoother, so not quite as transparent vs the D4 but it certainly helps to make difficult recordings listenable. 

I do have demos if you want to try them out as well. Thanks for your post!  :thumb:

jtcf

« Reply #15 on: 28 Oct 2019, 03:38 pm »
Thanks Asghar!Quicksilvers are fine amps.I have a pair of mid monos that are my back ups(just in case).I should sell them but can't quite part with them:)
My speaker cables are Analysis Plus Solo Crystal 8,which I really like.I really don't know if I need a leaner cable to achieve more transparency or the warmer D5 to eliminate harshness and lose some detail.OCD audiophile here:)I don't mind making the investment if it's the right fit.

jtcf

« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2019, 05:13 pm »
A loan of demo cables would be excellent!I sent you an email.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 28 Oct 2019, 09:04 pm »
I got your email, thanks! I look forward to see what you think of the cables. :)

jtcf

« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2019, 10:55 pm »
So while waiting in anticipation for the D4 and D5 I'm pulling out old cables out of my audio junk box and just for fun I replaced the Furutech digital cable with a length of Gabriel Gold Revelation(remember those?).I liked it with my CDP.OMG!It just might end up staying.Timbre,texture,color to die for!It's a little too whitish and bleached out on the upper mids but something like the D5 might balance that out.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2019, 05:00 pm »
 jtcf it might be a good idea to stick to one Manf of cables instead of mixing and matching as much fun as it is tweaking that is.. Think loom. In my experience always paid off. Pick a house sound and Loom it Man. Zenwave is a valid cable.

charles