Which unit to buy: Nuforce IA7 or Nuforce P8?

intelonetwo

Which unit to buy: Nuforce IA7 or Nuforce P8?
« on: 26 Jun 2009, 10:54 pm »
So here I am at a crossroads. I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these units. The Nuforce IA7 or the P8. Both can be had for a similiar price so that isn't a concern.

Here's the dilemma.

First a quick description of my system. It is a 2-channel system. I use BG Z-7's (89db Sensitivity, 4 ohms) as the front speakers achored by a BG Z-Subwoofer. My sources are an Oppo DV-980H, and HTPC serving up FLAC, Lossless, and some MP3 music. My living rom doubles as my "listening room." I listen to a vast mix of music from Diana Krall in the evening when I'm chillin to Linkin Park to various rap artists when I'm just hangin out to Stevie Ray Vaughn to Green Day to Portished to Journey to Fleetwood Mac to Michael Jackson. Ok, you get the picture.

Anyway. I want to hear the "Nuforce sound" which is why I initially wanted to get the IA7. Then upgrade if I liked what I heard. Also this would give me the time to amass the necessary funds to purchase a nicer Nuforce based system. The IA7 has amplification, preamplification, and a bit of flexibility in that it can be used as a preamp if necessary. The cons are; It doesn't have many inputs, is a bit less transparent than it's cousin the P8.

The Nuforce P8 is a very nice entry level preamp not embarrassed by any preamp on the south side of $3500. It has a couple more inputs. It has HT bypass/subwoofer output and a remote control (so does the IA7, so no difference there!) It is also has greater flexibility, and future system builder potential. In the future I could add possibly a pair of Ref 9's and have a nice, modest, respectable 2-channel rig.

Problem with the P8 is that I have to now purchase an amplifier. However, my funds just aren't there in great numbers. I don't want any of the smaller 10 watt type T-amps. I do need at least 50 watts or so, a little more or less is fine. So the price limits me to a couple of amplifier types. The Rawson GainClone Amplifiers selling on A.gon, and many T-Amplifiers with approximately 30+ watts. My amplifier budget would be approximately $300 or less. Not much. Used is ok.

My question is this. Would I get more benefit from the GainClone or T-Amp/Nuforce P8 Combo than the Nufroce IA7?

Hometheaterjunkie

John Casler

Re: Which unit to buy: Nuforce IA7 or Nuforce P8?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2009, 12:52 am »
I see your dilema.

The "best overall" route is the P-8S and an additional amp.  Even though you will not exactly have the NuFORCE "sound" (with another brand amp) you will come out on top when you can afford them.

I am a NuFORCE dealer and with that info, I would probably move you in that direction.

The IA-7 option is a "stop gap" immediate gratification route, but in the end you don't have all the power you want, and the preamp section is a bit below the P-8S.

NuForce has a very good "promotion" right now with the P-8S and the Ref 8 Stereo power amp that might be VERY tempting, but certainly out of your stated budget.  Kinda like the IA-7 on Steroids :drool:

srb

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2009, 01:14 am »
Since you are already looking to the future of possibly having an all NuForce separates system, and being a self-proclaimed "home theatre junkie", I would vote for the P-8 preamp.

You would have the extra transparency as well as the home theatre bypass input.

In addition to the "temporary" power amp choices you mentioned, you could also consider a used Rotel or Parasound amp of 125W/ch or so for  $200 - $300, which always seem to sell (and resell) quickly in that price range.

Steve

intelonetwo

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2009, 01:38 am »
I see your dilema.

The "best overall" route is the P-8S and an additional amp.  Even though you will not exactly have the NuFORCE "sound" (with another brand amp) you will come out on top when you can afford them.

I am a NuFORCE dealer and with that info, I would probably move you in that direction.

The IA-7 option is a "stop gap" immediate gratification route, but in the end you don't have all the power you want, and the preamp section is a bit below the P-8S.

NuForce has a very good "promotion" right now with the P-8S and the Ref 8 Stereo power amp that might be VERY tempting, but certainly out of your stated budget.  Kinda like the IA-7 on Steroids :drool:
John, I already have an angle on the Nuforce gear. But thanks anyway. The P8 is one the table, not the P8S. The Ref 8 Stereo Amp/P8 combo deal may be nice, but not in the price ranges I'm in.

intelonetwo

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2009, 01:41 am »
Since you are already looking to the future of possibly having an all NuForce separates system, and being a self-proclaimed "home theatre junkie", I would vote for the P-8 preamp.

You would have the extra transparency as well as the home theatre bypass input.

In addition to the "temporary" power amp choices you mentioned, you could also consider a used Rotel or Parasound amp of 125W/ch or so for  $200 - $300, which always seem to sell (and resell) quickly in that price range.

Steve
Steve, have you heard any of the Nuforce gear? If what are you impressions?

srb

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2009, 02:06 am »
Sorry, I have not.  My response was generic, I would have said the same thing regarding most manufacturer's separates compared to their integrated, particularly if the integrated did not have HT bypass and the preamp did.

Integrated amplifiers that might keep me happy without going to separates are a little more expensive units like Bryston B100-SST, SimAudio Moon i-7 or Classe CAP-2100.

I have only heard a small sampling of  Class D power amplifiers (DIY Hypex and Rotel B&O IcePower), and so far haven't been swayed to depart from my tried and true Class A/AB with big fat inefficient analog power supplies with a lot of filter capacitance.

The NuForce may be way better than those, I don't know.  From your post, I assumed you had heard them and had already made a decision on brand, since you were going to "pull the trigger on one of them".

Steve

intelonetwo

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2009, 02:46 am »
Well all I have "pulled the trigger" IA7. After having spoke with the chief financial planner in my life.....The decision was made to go the stop gap route.  The IA7 being the stop gap.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:01 am »
Well, budget is a reality for many of us!  As you can see, I don't actually own any of the $5K + integrateds I mentioned, but we can dream, can't we?

Looking back at your original post, I see the source and the speakers, but I don't see what amp you are currently using and going to replace.

After you have had some time with the new amp, please update this thread and share your observations.

Steve

intelonetwo

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2009, 04:29 am »
srb,
Yeah it was the budget. Oddly though, I don't feel bad about the decision. Maybe because I've heard many good things about the IA7 and Nuforce in general. And because I know it's not forever so that made the pill easier to swallow. Even still, it will give me solid sound quality in the meantime.

I just sold my most recent amplifier which was a Nuforce Icon. Before that I used a Peachtree Audio Decco Integrated Amplifier.

I will update the thread when I've had a chance to receive, setup and listen to the IA7.

Thanks for your comments.

intelonetwo

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2009, 07:01 am »
Ok, so the trigger was pullled on .....drum roll please......

The Nuforce P8 Preamplifier.

After further thought, willing and dealing I decided to go with the P8. A generous deal on an amplifier helped. I procured an Acurus A125x5 Amp to bi-amplify my speakers with.

I figure the P8 would, as many have previous stated, be a better choice in the long run.

intelonetwo

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2009, 07:24 am »
In the end I went with the Nuforce IA7. Go figure, because just yesterday I received a Krell KSA-50 for next to nothing. I could have used it with the P8. Oh well, I'll give the Nuforce a try.