V2 upgrades

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
V2 upgrades
« on: 26 Apr 2007, 05:47 pm »
First i would like to applaud nuforce for its continued support for there gear, I'm not to sure there are many audio manufacturing companies that offer upgrades to equipment on a ongoing arrangement. In my case P-8 to P-9, and Ref 9-to SE, I will be checking this V2 upgrade closely as i am on the quest for the best sound i can get and can afford. One thing for me is i have to be away from the house at least a week before i will be with out music. On my Ref 9 to SE you guys at nufroce had it back in 5 working days, thats customer service.
Again nuforce gang thank you, Mike

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: V2 upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2007, 03:15 am »
We will ask that US consumers wait until end of May to request for upgrade. We are overloaded with upgrading all the distributors and US dealers.

Rationale for Upgrade and New Price:
1. Customers typically loss 30% to 50% by selling their product (if they bought it new) and then pay even more for new and better product. Therefore the cost of migrating to the next generation product could be as high as 100% of previous product.
2. New technology enable us to bring out new products that can out perform existing product at a lower price. Therefore Ref 9V2 in reality is equivalent to the old Ref 9SE plus more.

Taken into considerations 1) and 2) above, our upgrade prices range from 25% to 30% of the MSRP of the original product. We thing that is very fair.

The upgrade price for Used Products will be 50% higher. But after the upgrade, you'll be considered the orginal owner and future upgrade will follow the standard upgrade price.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2007, 03:47 am by nuforce-jason »

eosdigic

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2007, 07:47 am »
Will the new chasis have "V2" mark?

miklorsmith

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2007, 02:15 pm »
So, the basis for the upgrade price is not cost of production, but perceived acceptability in the marketplace?  Would you say that's the industry standard, or is it specific to this upgrade or Nuforce?  This is a new circuit board, right?

I assumed this was the case with expensive cable purveyors and more-expensive electronics, less so at your price points.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2007, 10:27 am »
The cost of a products are factors of the following:
1. R&D with patent filing and maintainence.  We have our own technology R&D and that's very expensive.  We're not a box maker where we purchase icepower module to modify.  By the way, V2 just received a US patent :).
2. Production overhead and administrative expense
3. Certifications and test. CE, FCC are expensive.
4. Marketing and advertising.
5. Warranty coverage and parts.

The rationale for V2 pricing has been explained in the V2 FAQ.
V2 upgrade will include a new face plate (just a very subtle V2 logo at the lower left corner) and a new serial number.  We are doing things quite differently from other manufacturers where we expect each series and model # to last a long time.  We aspire to be the Porsche of amplifier.  Porsche 911 has evolved over 20 years but we always know it as 911. 
« Last Edit: 6 May 2007, 11:44 pm by nuforce-jason »

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2007, 12:02 am »
Nuforce is able to lower production cost through R&D and manufactured our products in Asia, where we can leverage professional contract manufacturers sourcing ability.  We like to think that we have been developing sensible products, you may not find the common Audiophile exotica components in Nuforce, but all the parts we used are either carefully selected, or custom made to Nuforce specification.

Due to the nature of high-end equipment industry, the production volume is naturally low, and the low volume eventually led to high-priced audiophile products, the vicious cycle spirals:  Low Volume -> High Price -> Lower volume -> Higher Price.

We hope to break this vicious cycle and bring value to our customers.   V2 and all our products are fairly priced.  The metal work are not opulent, but effective.  The performance is achieved through R&D not black magic.   We measured every parameters and aligned what we heard with what we measured.  We provide longevity in our product life by engineering upgrade paths.

As an example, there are only a few 2-box preamps like P-9, that use "Clean Box/Dirty Box" (Logic control and power supply in Dirty Box, analog circuit and connectors in Clean Box) approach, such as McIntosh C200 ($7000), Mark Levinson 32 ($16000), VTL TL 7.5 ($14000).  Coming from Nuforce, our P-9 costs $3150 - and the P-9 has lower THD, and wider bandwidth then any of the aboves.

cheetah

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2007, 02:11 pm »
I got the Ref 9SE in the US when I was travelling there.
Must I get the V2 upgrade in the US?
Or I can get it upgraded in the place of residency?

Regards

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2007, 06:00 pm »
I got the Ref 9SE in the US when I was travelling there.
Must I get the V2 upgrade in the US?
Or I can get it upgraded in the place of residency?

Regards
Normally, our distributors are not obliged to offer the upgrade price to products not purchased/imported through them.  You can call your distributor and find out what would be your upgrade options.

beachbum

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2007, 11:45 am »
did anyone want to report what V2 sounded like at the stereophile show in NY. 

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2007, 11:10 am »
Yes, we'll like to know too. We weren't at the show, don't know if the room acoustic is any good and did not setup the equipment  :scratch:
Yes, NuForce is still a small company and we can't be everywhere (Casey has to travel to the factory)  :duh:
But we believe our dealer, Dave from Audiodoctor.com knows what he is doing so hopefully we'll hear some good news.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2007, 02:50 pm »
What I heard from someone who attended the show:

Dave played the NuForce gear extensively…to large crowds.  Dave would let a set amount (20-30) of people in to the room for each presentation.  Lines of people were waiting outside for the next presentation.  The traffic at the show was the best I’ve seen. 
We heard many positive comments.  Dave did an exceptionally good job presenting the equipment.  I did not like all of his music choices (recording wise) but, the Room sounded good…especially for a show.  Drum tracks were stunning…..via the NuForce fed BE-10s!

nuforcelover

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2007, 10:19 pm »
upgraded from 9SE to 9SE V2 cost $400........for each or both mono amp?

thanks alex

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2007, 08:16 am »
Each, we always quote per unit price. The MSRP for Ref 9 V2 SE is now $2500.
The upgrade price is the price difference between 9SE and 9V2SE.
The entire amplifier board is replaced and FIVE YEAR warranty for the amp board starts from day of upgrade. You also get new serial number and face plate with small V2 logo.

V2 is not a patch on old board. Due to the enhanced performance, you should do treat it like a new amp and try to reposition the speaker to get best result.  Every aspect of the sonic quality changes with the upgrade (depth and width of sound stage for example).

cheetah

« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2007, 03:02 pm »
can one purchase the upgrade kit and perform the upgrade him/herself?

Rockefoten

« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2007, 06:49 am »
I got my ref 8.5 v2 last week and have now had the time to listen a bit. I think they are a quantum leep over the old version. Bass is much stronger with much more impact and tone. The tone and detailing of the mids are also much better. The treble even less distorted. Some recordings which I thought were destorted now lack any distortion at all.
Really nice work this. Will get back to you when Ive had a chance tp listen more.

(And also no start up noise or other weird stuff)

ole

beachbum

« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2007, 11:50 am »
rockefoten thanks for your initial thoughts on V 2. sounds like the upgrade is a no brainer.
no doubt that Nuforce is providing first class upgrades for there users.

mcullinan

« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2007, 03:02 pm »
 aa
Can you please go into more detail on your listening impressions? Thanks.
Mike

raven

« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2007, 06:11 pm »
I am thinking about upgrading my IA-7 to IA-7 V2, is it worth it?
I dont need a lot of power.

Rockefoten

« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2007, 11:18 am »
Ok. Some more impressions. (se three posts higher for the first one)

Hard to describe these thoughts in english (for a norwegian) but Ill try.

Some hifis play treble, mids and bass. The cymbals are treblelike, the guitar only mids and the bass only bass. Good systems dont to some degree. My system with the ref 8 didnt do that, I thought. But after getting the 8.5 v2 I see that they did somewhat.
Cause now all the instruments are spread much more all across the frequence spectrum. The cymbals have midweight in addition to airy lovely treble, the bass have mids and lots of bassimpact, and guitars are all over the spectrum. This combined with great dynamics and speed give the music a very lifelike quality.
I addition you have lots of detail and black nice background as mentioned before. Lovely amps.