Jon L

RSL II Thread
« on: 4 Jun 2007, 10:52 pm »

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=19254

Might as well start a thread...

BradJudy

Re: RSL II Thread
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2007, 10:55 pm »
I hoping once they're done I'll have to chance to hear them at either the RMAF or Mark's house (I'm assuming he's getting a pair for himself). 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2007, 10:59 pm »
I should have my beta pair in June or July.

I say "should" since things sometimes longer than expected...

I haven't heard anything about the RSL II's being at RMAF, but Mark is certainly getting a pair.

Just as a reminder...these speakers are not AV123 speakers.  They will be distributed by a different company.

George

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2007, 11:04 pm »
I hoping once they're done I'll have to chance to hear them at either the RMAF or Mark's house (I'm assuming he's getting a pair for himself). 

Oh, yeah, wouldn't you keep the GOOD stuff if you were Mark?  :green:

At $12K, RSL II's are going to have serious competition.  I'm sure I'll get to audition it at some point, but I'll be more likely to buy them if they used a bunch of Aurum Cantus/Fountek/Raven ribbons instead of those ring ribbons. But I guess the price would go up accordingly  :nono:

brj

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2007, 11:06 pm »
Quote from: BradJudy

Yeah, but his house in what part of the world? :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2007, 11:07 pm »

Oh, yeah, wouldn't you keep the GOOD stuff if you were Mark?  :green:

At $12K, RSL II's are going to have serious competition.  I'm sure I'll get to audition it at some point, but I'll be more likely to buy them if they used a bunch of Aurum Cantus/Fountek/Raven ribbons instead of those ring ribbons. But I guess the price would go up accordingly  :nono:

The $12k is the introductory price and Mark has said he expects them to sell for around $14k or so after the into period ends.

George

warnerwh

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2007, 11:11 pm »
Who makes that planar panel? This is interesting as I wondered what speakers you'd been talking about George. I hadn't heard of them and  just now stumbled onto what they are. Certainly the design team leaves nothing left to be desired.

BradJudy

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2007, 11:13 pm »

I'm not flying to Eastern Russia or Southern China to listen to speakers (talk about your cold and hot extremes). :)  Now a vacation in Cali with a stop by Santiago's place and Mark's 18th (or whatever it is) residence might be worthwhile.  :D

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2007, 11:14 pm »
Who makes that planar panel? This is interesting as I wondered what speakers you'd been talking about George. I hadn't heard of them and  just now stumbled onto what they are. Certainly the design team leaves nothing left to be desired.

From talking to Mark, he says that they will have the best qualities of Genesis/Infinity speakers with properly integrated bass (the weak part of the really high end Genesis models IMHO).

I don't think I would be going this far out on a limb if the "team" didn't have their excellent credentials.   aa

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2007, 11:15 pm »

I'm not flying to Eastern Russia or Southern China to listen to speakers (talk about your cold and hot extremes). :)  Now a vacation in Cali with a stop by Santiago's place and Mark's 18th (or whatever it is) residence might be worthwhile.  :D

I believe the speakers will be built in Cali.  I know that is where the beta's will be built.

George

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2007, 11:53 pm »
The only thing that bothers me from the 'looks' of these speakers is the tweeters.  Anyone have any idea where they are crossed?  Regardless they are going to comb pretty well with the given spacing.  If it is high up enough it may not matter, but it still bothers me somewhat that they didn't go full monty and do a ribbon tweeter as well.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2007, 01:15 am »
I think it is a ribbon, but a circular ribbon.  That mid panel hopefully takes it pretty high up in to the upper octaves.

ctviggen

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2007, 12:54 pm »
Is the upper part open baffle?  Is the bass part driven by its own amp?  They do look quite interesting.  Sort of line array-ish. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2007, 01:15 pm »
Is the upper part open baffle?  Is the bass part driven by its own amp?  They do look quite interesting.  Sort of line array-ish. 

The large woofers as well as the mid-bass couplers are going to be self-powered.

George

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2007, 01:56 pm »
I think it is a ribbon, but a circular ribbon.  That mid panel hopefully takes it pretty high up in to the upper octaves.

Yeah, I think it is a circular ribbon, I meant ribbon as in traditional linear ribbon.  I owned the VMPS RM40's with dual circular ribbons and then upgraded them to the AC GS2i "FST".  That was a tremendous improvement in focus, freedom from speakers and loosening of the head in the vise.  I attributed some of this to the comb filtering that the dual tweeter arrangement had created.  This is why that partially bothers me. 

ooheadsoo

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:43 pm »
VMPS speakers have a unique set of compromises, so perhaps it isn't fair to judge circular ribbons from that experience alone.  I haven't heard circular ribbons yet, myself.  I do find the speaker surprisingly costly for a Mark Schifter project. 

2bigears

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2007, 08:15 am »
been told these puppies are gonna' be $20 large,that's heavy. :o

ooheadsoo

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2007, 06:25 pm »
Straight from the horse's mouth from the thread referred to by Jon:

Mark L. Schifter 
AV123.com Founder

Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
Hello,

How much are these speakers going to cost and when will they be available?
Since they are not sold by av123 is there a website for these speakers.

Thanks!

12K is the price...

10K w/o 30 day return...

in 2008 they will probably move to just under 15K...

Thanks...

mls

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2007, 07:24 pm »
Here is a picture of an actual pre-beta unit being built:

Getting closer...

George

StevenACNJ

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jun 2007, 11:04 am »
George,

Very interesting speaker.

What kind of finish are you getting on your beta pair?

Thanks