Free online concert streaming from Berlin Philharmonic website

sarora9

Berlin Philharmonic has had an excellent subscription-only service that livestreams their concerts and also a large archive of recorded concerts. SQ is excellent (USB out from computer to my dac).

They have decided to make this service free for a month. A way to spend our plentiful free time during the lockdown.  https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/news

Photon46

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. After checking out their offerings and watching a few concerts I could easily see subscribing to their service. They have a deep catalog of archived concerts.

Randy

I watched their 2020 New Year's Concert last night. Pretty good except for Diana Damrau's mugging and wobbly singing. It was cringe-worthy, to say the least.  The music was all by Americans, if you think of Kurt Weill as American, a naturalized one he was.

Randy

deleted

Randy

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. After checking out their offerings and watching a few concerts I could easily see subscribing to their service. They have a deep catalog of archived concerts.

It's pretty expensive, more than I was willing to pay after I had the trial period with them.

raiders4life7

I’ve been a longtime subscriber and can vouch for their great audio and video quality

Photon46

I’ve been a longtime subscriber and can vouch for their great audio and video quality

Yes, I have been very impressed with both their audio and video quality. There is little criticize on both points. I'd also mention that the great Concertgebouw Orchestra also has free streaming of some of their concerts that can be accessed through their website. They don't have nearly the depth of programming the Berlin Philharmonic has, but what they do offer is excellent from what I've watched so far. Their video quality appears to be equivalent to what Berlin was producing with their previous generation of cameras. It's quite the architectural contrast between Berlin and Amsterdam. One venue is cutting edge modern architecture and the other was built in 1888 but they both have superb acoustic properties.