One.3 with 4Ω load?

megabigeye

One.3 with 4Ω load?
« on: 6 Apr 2020, 05:56 pm »
Hi everybody,
It's been a long time!

I'm wondering if anybody knows if the One.3 is stable with 4Ω speakers?

I recently took my li'l Virtue amp out of storage and have it plugged into some in-wall speakers that came with my apartment.  After about an hour the amp was a little warmer than I recall it being with my 6Ω speakers, though it wasn't dangerously hot, or anything.  I just don't want to accidentally burn it out or something.

I'm always a little sad that Virtue shut down, and sad that I don't have a more hi-fi use for my One.3 at the moment.  Maybe one day.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

bclaw001

Re: One.3 with 4Ω load?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2020, 05:39 pm »
I'm currently using my One.3 to drive my old Gallo Nucleus Solo speakers. They are 4ohm speakers with a sensitivity of about 90 and the One.3 drives them with no problem at all. I do have the JT Dynamic Linear power supply so that certainly makes a big difference. The amp certainly gets warm but - as you say - not dangerously hot.

lucilius

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2020, 07:07 pm »
     I remember people talking about the virtue amps with maggies which are a 4 ohm load.  It is my impression that the virtue amps were designed so that the case would function as a heat sink.  Because I have a plexiglass top on my sensation, I can see the copper tubing that goes from the middle of the amp to the side wall where it is attached.  I am assuming the one.2 and the others all work one the same principle.  They don't run cool but I doubt there is a danger with normal use.

James

megabigeye

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2020, 01:08 am »
Thanks, guys!
Been using the One.3 with the kitchen speakers with no problem. I've been fantasizing about putting it back into my main system, but I've been much too lazy to actually do it.. Yeah, I remember hearing/reading that the chassis and case are a heatsink. Good to know others are also able to enjoy theirs with a 4Ω load.

Bclaw001, that room looks very hygge and comfy. Music and books... Give me a cocktail and I'd be in hog heaven.

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2020, 11:43 pm »
It is a tragedy that Virtue Audio are no more and yes still run my two Sensations to good effect. :green:

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2020, 03:34 am »
Hi Guys,

I agree.  I have a virtue one.3 which requires repair.  I'd like to have it working again.

Cheers Rod

free0061

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2021, 12:41 am »
As unlikely as it sounds I am having wonderful success with Magnepan 1.6 and a sub:)