Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #220 on: 19 Jan 2014, 10:43 am »
HI Chris,

Even with the former firmware , we reported a heavy resource burden on the Mac/Safari combination when building the database. It never finished, and never have i seen the album art. So bad, that the Mac became unresponsive. Only in the software version before Bryston started the beta-testing, did MAX manage to show it, remember the album art in the background of Max.

I did not experience my Mac starting to be unresponsive this time. Is the size of the library to be indexed of any influence, and also, is BDP1's  memory large enough to index that large a library? Or should i just stop trying to build it? I know you've made the BDP2 for use with bigger libraries, but always thought it had to do with playing capabilities, not this kind of issues.

Cheers.
Marius

the above is expected, its the message that will be normally displayed followed by the contents of two variables that are compared.  The content of the two variables will not show in the final version.... assuming I remember to remove them that is.

if your getting the above it simply means the main javascript has crashed, you should check the developer console for error messages.

by resource issue i was referring to the BDP running out of memory, processing power or disk space.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #221 on: 19 Jan 2014, 04:11 pm »
Hi Marius,

I left some instructions to help troubleshoot this issue in post 211, if you not comfortable following them its fine; but if not could you enable service mode so that i may poke around?

It very well might be the size of the library as I havn't tested anything larger then 68,000 songs on the BDP-2 and havn't tested anything larger then 4,600 songs on a BDP-1.  With that said the software breaks the task down into much smaller sections of a hundred albums at a time.

Your guess is as good as myn at this point.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #222 on: 19 Jan 2014, 04:18 pm »
sure i could, will, but while i could ssh into Root before, im no longer allowed since the remote hoste changes identification.

I even wrote to album.php, but am not allowed to save it, because of the same authorisation-problem. Maybe enable that first?How to proceed with that?

Then ill try and take one Drive away, ensuring the library isn't too large.

If things won't workout still, ill flip into service-mode...

So please, help me get into the terminal mode again, and let me write to Root, which i did before without an issue, creating the Playlists.

Marius

Hi Marius,

I left some instructions to help troubleshoot this issue in post 211, if you not comfortable following them its fine; but if not could you enable service mode so that i may poke around?

It very well might be the size of the library as I havn't tested anything larger then 68,000 songs on the BDP-2 and havn't tested anything larger then 4,600 songs on a BDP-1.  With that said the software breaks the task down into much smaller sections of a hundred albums at a time.

Your guess is as good as myn at this point.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #223 on: 19 Jan 2014, 06:00 pm »
Hi Marius,

the simplest thing to do is remove your trusted hosts file and you computer will create a new empty one.

rm ~/.ssh/known_hosts

should do it.

Cheers,
Chris

sure i could, will, but while i could ssh into Root before, im no longer allowed since the remote hoste changes identification.

I even wrote to album.php, but am not allowed to save it, because of the same authorisation-problem. Maybe enable that first?How to proceed with that?

Then ill try and take one Drive away, ensuring the library isn't too large.

If things won't workout still, ill flip into service-mode...

So please, help me get into the terminal mode again, and let me write to Root, which i did before without an issue, creating the Playlists.

Marius

Marius

« Reply #224 on: 20 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm »
Chris,

Please check this, there seems to be some error in the albums.php file, and in the folder-reference. Had to change the command to the right folder, but in albums.php a line  is incorrect too? the playlist.pid is available though, contrary to the error-message

Marius

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #225 on: 20 Jan 2014, 08:31 pm »
Hi Chris,

Here's a small issue related to how albums are displayed in the album-browser view. It seems that the album thumbnails are not "line-wrapping" properly since the album detail shows up beneath the 1st album of the following row rather than (what I presume to be) the current row.

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #226 on: 24 Jan 2014, 04:14 pm »
Is anyone else having slight window formatting issues with Chrome? I notice that the screen jumps around a bit and sometimes Chrome can't decide whether to have the main right hand window scroll bar on or off which causes the display width to jump back and forth rapidly. I have not had this problem at all with IE11. I'll try to grab a screen recording and post it.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #227 on: 24 Jan 2014, 08:12 pm »
My Chrome just had an update this week. No idea if it addresses this issue, but worth a check.

Marius

« Reply #228 on: 26 Jan 2014, 10:40 am »
HI Chris,

latest version 0124 got saved on another usb thumb than it was supposed to..
and now, none of the two attached thumbs are displayed in the drop down menu for saving firmware. Only the root and 2 usb drives are shown, none of which id like to use for this.

please have a look?

M

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #229 on: 26 Jan 2014, 04:15 pm »
Is anyone else having slight window formatting issues with Chrome? I notice that the screen jumps around a bit and sometimes Chrome can't decide whether to have the main right hand window scroll bar on or off which causes the display width to jump back and forth rapidly. I have not had this problem at all with IE11. I'll try to grab a screen recording and post it.

As mentioned and shown in reply 196 there is currently a formatting issue, the web designer is currently looking into why its occurring.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #230 on: 28 Jan 2014, 10:02 pm »
Hi Chris,

Check this: we made it ordering 100%! Generating Albums right now, fingers crossed ....

While the bdp is generating these, please let me ask, whether we can have these albums displayed in a selected order. I recall seeing them only alphabetically ordered, which means all my different music styles are mixed into a very unusable set of album views..

Would be great if we could order on Style, composer, artist, or just plain on folder structure, which would seem best, since most of us file albums on an ordered tree like this i guess.

Plex has this feature, and it works best i feel.

Cheers, for getting it this far...

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #231 on: 29 Jan 2014, 02:16 am »
Hi Chris,

Check this: we made it ordering 100%! Generating Albums right now, fingers crossed ....

While the bdp is generating these, please let me ask, whether we can have these albums displayed in a selected order. I recall seeing them only alphabetically ordered, which means all my different music styles are mixed into a very unusable set of album views..

Would be great if we could order on Style, composer, artist, or just plain on folder structure, which would seem best, since most of us file albums on an ordered tree like this i guess.

Plex has this feature, and it works best i feel.

Cheers, for getting it this far...

Marius

Hi Marius,

I do want to do a genre/style sort, infact part of the Bryston db sort does sort all the artists (with albums) into genre as well.  I just havn't figured out how to select the genre/style yet in a way that doesn't screw up the flow intended by the web designer.  The next firmware update will include a nifty search feature as well that works pretty good.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #232 on: 29 Jan 2014, 06:32 am »
Great!

Since tagging is a bit of an erroneous proces now and then, and album art would be mixed up wrong on that case, please do add the folder structure to be one of these options . At least one knows for sure the Organisation is right I that case, no matter what tagging issues...

btw, albums generated on 16% now. It hangs, or is extremely slow... can't tell really, cant reach the bdp, so it might be too busy generating albums. Or, just plain hangs.  :lol:

Marius

Hi Marius,

I do want to do a genre/style sort, infact part of the Bryston db sort does sort all the artists (with albums) into genre as well.  I just havn't figured out how to select the genre/style yet in a way that doesn't screw up the flow intended by the web designer.  The next firmware update will include a nifty search feature as well that works pretty good.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #233 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:43 am »
Great!

Since tagging is a bit of an erroneous proces now and then, and album art would be mixed up wrong on that case, please do add the folder structure to be one of these options . At least one knows for sure the Organisation is right I that case, no matter what tagging issues...

btw, albums generated on 16% now. It hangs, or is extremely slow... can't tell really, cant reach the bdp, so it might be too busy generating albums. Or, just plain hangs.  :lol:

Marius

Hi Marius,

Each time I had ran the script it seemed to hang while converting a picture file, I think I'm going to investigate aget stove methods programs tomorrow.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #234 on: 30 Jan 2014, 08:50 pm »
Hi Chris,

Don't know if you already did in todays firmware upgrade, but it got stuck at exactly the same spot again. !6% and Hang.

btw what are aget stove methods?

Marius

Hi Marius,

Each time I had ran the script it seemed to hang while converting a picture file, I think I'm going to investigate aget stove methods programs tomorrow.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #235 on: 31 Jan 2014, 02:04 am »
Hi Chris,

Don't know if you already did in todays firmware upgrade, but it got stuck at exactly the same spot again. !6% and Hang.

btw what are aget stove methods?

Marius

Hi Marius,

Today was quite hectic and only managed to get a bit of work done on the firmware upgrade page.  I'll make notes of any changes in the readme file that appears when you select the firmware for download or installation.

Cheers
Chris

Ritchief

« Reply #236 on: 31 Jan 2014, 06:14 pm »
Hi Chris,

I thought I would give the new firmware a whirl again.

My comments are:

It is much smoother than before, my albums now play, the album data base seems to be working and the firmware update certainly didn't throw up any error this time.

The one negative so car is that Google Chrome now longer works - it wont select or play albums, the album DB does not show the covers in "album view"....

It certainly feels that its moving in the right direction - thanks to you and all the testers for all your efforts.

Rich.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #237 on: 31 Jan 2014, 06:32 pm »
Hi Rich

Chrome seems to work OK with me at work and at home.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #238 on: 31 Jan 2014, 06:48 pm »
What versions of Chrome are you both using? Any plug-ins installed?

Put "chrome://chrome/" (no quotes) in the web address bar to see the version (and update, if necessary).

Mine shows :

Version 32.0.1700.102 m

Google Chrome is up to date.

Ritchief

« Reply #239 on: 31 Jan 2014, 06:56 pm »
Hi Grit,

I am using the lastest version has you state below with no plug-ins, but I cannot add any albums to the playlist.

I have logged off my computer and back on again with no difference.

I should mention it works on Explorer.

Any ideas ?