Autobrokers

Emil

Autobrokers
« on: 14 Feb 2019, 12:42 pm »
never knew they existed until recently.
If you're ignorant like I was, an autobroker, for a fee, will negotiate on your behalf with local car dealerships
to get you the "best deal" possible whether its a lease or a sale.

Has anyone here used one?

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Autobrokers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2019, 01:58 pm »
Never heard of this. Have to say though, I enjoy the negotiation aspect of the buying process.

Emil

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:56 pm »
Never heard of this. Have to say though, I enjoy the negotiation aspect of the buying process.

True but supposedly the broker knows the biz inside and out and can negotiate on things we mortals have no idea of.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:13 pm »
Presumably he saves you more than his fee. Is that guaranteed?

guf

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:23 pm »
I frequent a site called Leasehackr. There are multiple brokers on there and dealers offering great deals and advice on leases. I think their fees range between 3-500$ and I bet they save you that much on the first 2 months of a payment.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2019, 04:53 am »
I just wrapped up the process of buying a new car, and holy mother of God how I hated it.  My wifes RAV4 was pushing 200K, and my daughter had need of it, so we decided to start looking last week.  After narrowing it down to the Honda CRX, the Hyundai Sante Fe, or the Mazda CX5 we started the dance with salesmen and their managers.  We started with Honda, but the whole "make me an offer and I'll take it to the sales manager" crap led me to a point where I said, I'll fill up my coffee cup, and if we don't have a deal when I finish, I'll go down the road to the next option.  So, after the sales manager came out and made one of the stupidest offers you can imagine(asking as much for a 2018 with 3K on it as they were asking for a comparable new 2019), I went over to Mazda.  After a brief round of offers and adult conversation, wrote a fair sized check, and my wife will be driving a new 2018 CX5.  I certainly can see a value for a broker. 
Any Mazda CX-5 drivers around here?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2019, 11:18 am »
Check out Costco.  Members can get $1100 off invoice on the purchase of a Camry SE hybrid.  My dealership participates!   :D 

While I was casually surfing the Costco site got an online conversation from the dealership where they offered this deal right up front.  Confirmed it in person while there a week later for an oil change.

How can autobrokers beat that?

Brettio

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2019, 01:25 pm »
As a kid back in the mid/late sixties my dad used to buy a car every few years. Since I loved cars back then I’d look forward to the evenings when my dad would take me to meet a guy named Andy in his messy, cheap cigar smoke filled office. My dad and Andy would talk for a while and then we’d drive over to some car dealership I’d previously not known existed (they never seemed to be the dealerships in my town) and shortly after we’d drive away in a new car.  My dad swore by Andy.

Today if I’m going to buy a new car Costco is my Andy.  You pick the make and model and Costco gives you a contact name and number at a local/semi local dealership (I’m asssuming it’s their fleet guy).  There’s no pushy salesman, no pushing an undercoating you don’t need, just find the car you like and get the prenegotiated Costco price.  Take it or leave it. 

Based on my experience I’ve saved money using Costco. I also like that when the other salesman see you talking to the Costco guy they leave you alone to check out the inventory on your own. 

Brett

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2019, 08:41 pm »
I guess working in sales for decades has made my skin thicker.

I enjoy car buying.  I am direct in my offer, and even more direct when I don’t like how it is going. I am very happy to buy at my offer or walk.  And I won’t ever return for that car. 

It has worked for years.  Bought my Mom a car recently.  We drove it, she liked it, and we offered. They countered.  I stood up.  They caved.  We bought. 

Could a broker have helped?  Maybe, never used one.

Most of the awful stories I hear are from folks that either don’t understand the process and how to derail it in their favour, or those that want the lowest possible price ever heard of for the car. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2019, 08:59 pm »
I always find it rather funny how car salesmen and finance guys always claim what I am asking is impossible, cant be done, it is illegal for them to do it... But the minute I get up and say when you change your mind, call me... usually the getting up to walk is enough, Sometime the call back is the same day. But magically the impossible becomes OK yes.

I would think perhaps a broker might be useful for high end cars, like Ferrari and Lamborghini .. where actually getting the car you want is near impossible, and it takes an 'insider' to line up the deal. When you want that Mustang GT350. Or the Honda NSX

ZENTISH

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2019, 04:50 pm »
     Brokers are really helpful if you are looking for a used car. They will take you to an auction where car lots buy their used cars to sell.
He will bid on the car of your choice (you get to check them out before hand) and you will end up paying a little over wholesale.
They charge 500.00 but you can't get into the auction without them.

dflee

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2019, 05:14 pm »
I got lucky and learned at the same time. Couldn't afford sticker price of the
new Canyons and thought I'd have to settle for a four popper extended cab but
just so happened to see a six cylinder crew cab that was a loaner vehicle. Had 2900
miles on it and retailed for just over 30k. Got it for 26k total including taxes and title.
I figure I got the truck for under 24k. Since it was a loaner I'm guessin it was babied
and looked pristine. If I ever buy again, I'll ask if they have any loaners to sell.
If your looking at a luxury than a broker might be the way to go. They have access to
vehicles in many locations throughout the US but you gonna pay for that convenience.

Don

Charles Calkins

« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2019, 05:45 pm »

I've bought two trucks from carsdirect.com They do all the paperwork and ordering all I have to do
      is pick my truck up from a dealer. Pay for it of course.
      Since the internet I think auto brokers have gone the way of a dodo bird.

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2019, 06:59 pm »
ask if they have any loaners to sell.
If your looking at a luxury than a broker might be the way to go.

I had the same experience couple years ago, we found an 'executive demo' X3 at BMW dealer with 3k miles. Supposedly driven by BMW corporate execs, not customer loaner. Car was loaded and perfect condition for $12k less than new, plus no interest loan, no downpayment, we even financed the tax. And the salesman was an audiophile friend of mine! winwinwin  :thumb:
I will look for exec demos in the future.

A great jazz vibes player Steve Hobbs lives here in Raleigh and is a car broker. I didn't really know what they did, but probably worth a call if he can save me some money and hassle. I have perused carsdirect and asked dealers about buying a car this way, they say a lot of people do it and get good deals.

ctviggen

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2019, 07:30 pm »
I guess working in sales for decades has made my skin thicker.

I enjoy car buying.  I am direct in my offer, and even more direct when I don’t like how it is going. I am very happy to buy at my offer or walk.  And I won’t ever return for that car. 

It has worked for years.  Bought my Mom a car recently.  We drove it, she liked it, and we offered. They countered.  I stood up.  They caved.  We bought. 

Could a broker have helped?  Maybe, never used one.

Most of the awful stories I hear are from folks that either don’t understand the process and how to derail it in their favour, or those that want the lowest possible price ever heard of for the car.

This is what will kill the dealership, similar to what is happening now with mattresses.  The people selling mattresses screwed themselves over, by obfuscating everything (ever try to comparison shop mattresses between different stores?), starting ridiculously high, etc.  The same will happen with cars.  I hate the car buying experience.  I want to go in, get one price with no BS add ons, and walk out. I don't want anything else.  When you have to sit there and decline multiple add ons, bicker on price, etc., it makes my blood boil.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2019, 11:50 pm »
Why are automobiles one of the few products or services we have to jump through hoops to get a straight answer for?

A Ford Platinum pick-up is the same regardless who I am or where I am.