Just got a new Canon 6D (Mark 1)

Stu Pitt

Just got a new Canon 6D (Mark 1)
« on: 9 Jan 2019, 04:53 am »
I’ve been wanting to get a 6D since it was announced. Being a private school teacher and having two young daughters, disposable income isn’t so plentiful anymore. Every time I had the money, something else came up that was honestly more important.

I saw they went down to $999. I found out Adorama sells on Amazon, and I had about $400 worth of Amazon gift cards that have been sitting around seemingly forever (I never really buy stuff). I finally pulled the trigger, as I figured how much longer would new ones be around for? They were discontinued over a year ago, right? The price on the used market wasn’t enticing enough for me to take a chance.

Upgrading from my 40D, all I can say is WOW! Every single thing is better, except I get 4.5 fps vs 6 or so. Not a big deal for me.  I’ve never shot over 1/4000 sec much anyway, so I don’t think I’m going to miss the 40D’s 1/8000.

I haven’t gotten out to use it much yet. I just took some test shots, and the only actual shooting I’ve done is my 8 year old daughter’s basketball game. I’m in the beginning of learning it’s ins and outs, but already my IQ is night and day better.

So far I’ve used my old 28-135 IS USM and my 50 f/1.4. Can’t wait to put my 85 f/1.8 on it. I love that lens. I’ll keep my 40D as a backup, and use it when I don’t want to risk damaging the 6D. I really like my ef-s 24 pancake lens, but it won’t work on the 6D. I’d get the 40 pancake, but I don’t think I can justify having that and the 50 1.4. It’s not like the 50 1.4 is a huge and heavy lens. But the pancake does look cool :)

Sorry for rambling. I don’t have many people I can talk about this stuff to offline. Everyone humors me for a minute or two, but I know they’re not interested in the least bit. Kinda like when I talk about karate and stereos :)

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Just got a new Canon 6D (Mark 1)
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2019, 11:19 am »
Congratulations on the new camera. You are going to enjoy it!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2019, 01:48 pm »
Congratulations on the new camera. You are going to enjoy it!

Thanks! I’m already enjoying it, but I know it’s only going to be more fun as I learn the subtitles to it vs my 40D.

The thing that’s getting me is the AF point selection. My 40D was hit a button with my thumb and turn the control knob near the shutter. The 6D only goes straight across through them this way rather than circling around. I missed a few shots because of it, but nothing major nor nothing I won’t get used to. It’s going to be little stuff like that for a short period.

People complain about “only” having 11 focus points. That’s 2 more than my 40D :)  I’ve used my sister-in-law’s 5d4 and 7D, and I’d honestly rather have the 6D’s 11 or 40D’s 9. If they stretched further out of the center, I could see the point, but they’re not exactly covering more area by any means. 90% of the time I pick an AF point and aim it at my subject’s eye. I always know what it’s going to focus on that way. It also makes the whole rule of 1/3s simpler too.

Face detection would be nice. Then again on my point and shoot that has it, it focuses on the wrong face(s) often enough that I usually end up turning it off.

RandyH

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2019, 01:49 pm »
I've had the 6D for the past few years.  I also moved up from the 40D.  It is a great camera.  Amazing high ISO performance.  I think you will really enjoy using it.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2019, 03:15 pm »
I carry mine often and always when traveling. I have tried a number of lens on it but like the 24-105mm lens for walking around.

Decent reach and street level use.

It can be a bit heavy but worth it.
More focus points and features are nice but getting out and using it is more important. IMHO..

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2019, 04:21 pm »
I've had the 6D for the past few years.  I also moved up from the 40D.  It is a great camera.  Amazing high ISO performance.  I think you will really enjoy using it.

The high ISO performance was initially my main reason for wanting it. My 40D is very good on a nice sunny day. But the majority of what I think is the important stuff I shoot is indoors - holidays, birthdays, stuff like that. My ISO cutoff on my 40D is 640. Above that, and the picture is too full of noise for me. I was shooting my daughter’s basketball game at ISO 400 with the 40D. The maroon mat on the back wall looks like it’s covered in lint. It really distracts me, but it doesn’t bother anyone else.

I had my 6D set to auto ISO at her next game. I could see noise at 2500, but it took some pixel peeping. That was the first thing that really jumped out to me.

And I can easily crop. With the 40D, I couldn’t crop too much because I’d lose IQ. Within reason, cropping with the 6D isn’t a problem at all. I can get the rest of the stuff out of the frame without sacrificing much IQ when the play is on the far end of the court and I’ve reached my zoom limit.

It’s like going from my NAD integrated amp to my Bryston B60. Every single thing improved. Some things more than others, but there’s not a single thing the 6D doesn’t do better when looking at the final product side by side. I got to the point where the 40D was holding me back. Now I’m at the point where I’m holding the 6D back. And that’s a good thing :)

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2019, 05:03 pm »
I carry mine often and always when traveling. I have tried a number of lens on it but like the 24-105mm lens for walking around.

Decent reach and street level use.

It can be a bit heavy but worth it.
More focus points and features are nice but getting out and using it is more important. IMHO..

Great pics. I’ve used the 24-105 L on my 40D a few times, borrowing it from my sister in law. It does everything better than my 28-135, especially what I consider the 28-135’s main weaknesses - color and contrast and a bit soft wide open.

It’s been on my B&H wishlist for several years now, but I keep buying other stuff when I get extra cash - my primes and flash namely. And the 6D.

I’m going to borrow it again to try it on my 6D soon, but I’ve been eyeing the 70-200 f/4 L (non IS). About half the price and covers a range I don’t have.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2019, 02:00 am »
I’ve got about 1000 pics on the 6D now. Just about all of them are my 8 year old daughter’s basketball games. I’m really loving this camera. I can crop without much IQ loss, which is great. And the ISO performance is incredible compared to my 40D. ISO 6400 on the 6D is cleaner than ISO 640 on my 40D.

A question for the 6D owners...

I’m really struggling with the AF point selection. My 40D was great - hit the button with my thumb, and turn the wheel next to the shutter. It scrolled through all of them. The 6D just goes straight across with the wheel near the shutter. There’s no way to change this, is there? I’ve been using the multi controller on the back, but I’m not getting good at it. When I want to go diagonal, it goes straight; when I want to go straight, it goes diagonal. The 40D’s was so much better for me.