Affordable Neat Speaker Cable: Blue Jean anyone? (what spade is best?)

M3 EuroLTW

So, I'm looking at Blue Jean's website. They have 10mm flat spade, 25 deg 8.7mm and 45 deg 8.7 mm.  I'm sort of inclined to avoid the banana as it relies on the spring-aspect of the prong to stay put, and it would obviously age, and it limits the contact somewhat... but, the spades...

Has anyone used the BJ spades on their SST amplifiers and knows for sure they slide into the 5 way binding posts that we have?  Is there a particular angle that works best?  Im leaning to the 45 to get the cable away from the back of the amplifier....

Anyone order these connectors from BJ with first hand experience? 

My 20 year old Monster clear vinyl over copper runs have random bananas and a terrible oxidation throughout... all green everywhere.

Thank you in advance.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
what length do you need and your budget?
are you just looking for connectors or new cables?

gberger

• Check 6
I have Blue Jeans 10 gage cables for my speakers, with the 25˚ bend for the spades at each end, as that what I need to get the spades into the binding  posts. (I could also have used the 45˚, but not the flat.   The spades you select should make it relatively easy to attach them to the posts.

I'm very, very satisfied with the Blue Jeans cables, and I use some for interconnects, also. Blue Jeans uses top-quality Belden cable stock - - and Belden is well-known for manufacturing its cable stock to the desired specifications.

M3 EuroLTW

gberger,

Thanks. So you confirm that their 25 degree spades fit your Bryston 5 way posts neatly. 

Looking at the post, it appears the spade can’t be too thick or too wide or it won’t slip into the square-ish fitting.

I’ve got some older Matrix series at the other end, but their binding posts are simpler, and the width or thickness of a given spade won’t matter. The Bryston is a more robust design in that it will capture the spade and while tightening, the spade can’t rotate clockwise.

Appreciate your help. Will order the factory welded terminations for white 10 gauge, and 25 at one end, 45 at the other spades.
Either will be fine on the B&W, I can then choose and report back on the SST.

Alex

I.Greyhound Fan

I bought their 10g bare wire and their flat spaces which fit my Pass amp which can't use angled spades.  They work and are easy to install.  Takes about 3-4 minutes each spade to install.  They can fit multiple sizes for biding posts.

brucek

I'm sort of inclined to avoid the banana as it relies on the spring-aspect of the prong to stay put, and it would obviously age, and it limits the contact somewhat... but, the spades...

My 20 year old Monster clear vinyl over copper runs have random bananas and a terrible oxidation throughout... all green everywhere.

Thank you in advance.

I feel bananas are the best to use on Bryston amps and any 5 way binding post. The inexpensive banana type are indeed as you describe, but proper locking bananas are excellent. I just looked it up to see when I purchased my cables from Bryston with locking bananas and it was Jan 2002, so they're about 17 years old and still like brand new. It's so easy to unscrew the lock and remove the plug, or tighten it up and you could hang the amp on those bananas.

I also went to the Bryston site and see that are still selling the same type of banana plug that I have. They're excellent for both the amp and speaker connections. Spades are so fussy.

https://store.bryston.com/banana.html

brucek

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
You can order your BJC speaker wires with locking bananas for additional cost. I don't have Bryston, but am well pleased both with the construction & sound of the sets I ordered not long ago. fwiw

Ron D

Had Bryston locking bananas on Bryston's own speaker cable and they worked like a charm with various Bryston amps I have owned. BJC sells a similar banana (quite a bit cheaper)  as already mentioned and that would be my recommendation if going with BJC cables. Similar design to Bryston's and all you would need.

Charles Calkins

So, I'm looking at Blue Jean's website. They have 10mm flat spade, 25 deg 8.7mm and 45 deg 8.7 mm.  I'm sort of inclined to avoid the banana as it relies on the spring-aspect of the prong to stay put, and it would obviously age, and it limits the contact somewhat... but, the spades...

Has anyone used the BJ spades on their SST amplifiers and knows for sure they slide into the 5 way binding posts that we have?  Is there a particular angle that works best?  Im leaning to the 45 to get the cable away from the back of the amplifier....

Anyone order these connectors from BJ with first hand experience? 

Thank you in advance.
   I buy their speaker cable in bulk and put ends on them myself. That way I'm sure I've the right ends.

Cheers
                                                                   Charlie