BDA-3 DAC

Grant Hill

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #980 on: 22 Jun 2018, 11:52 am »
Hi Grant! Thank you for your answer. I use Marantz UD7007 as a transport, so it will be BR, DVD and CD through coax - and I will try it both with and without upsampling function.
I will also try BR, DVD and CD through HDMI.
I will use USB when using my Mac Mini. This is kind of new for me.
I will definitely use HDMI when playing SACD. That is awesome!

What are your opinions on the upsampling function?

That's cool! If you try, let  us know if you like better sacd via hdmi to bda3 or directly from  the marantz which is a good player.

I don't use upsampling, i prefer to leave the signal  as it is

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #981 on: 22 Jun 2018, 12:52 pm »
Marantz makes excellent SACD players. Their 8004 is very fine (even in standard CD mode).

Andreashifi

• hifi, stereo, 2.0
« Reply #982 on: 22 Jun 2018, 05:26 pm »
That's cool! If you try, let  us know if you like better sacd via hdmi to bda3 or directly from  the marantz which is a good player.

I don't use upsampling, i prefer to leave the signal  as it is

I will let you know, u bet :-)! I really, really hope that SACD via HDMI to BDA-3 is better, far better, than directly from Marantz UD7007. There is nothing wrong with Marantz  though, still I have high expectations on a separate DAC:s performance, due to its main purpose, as I see it.   

As for the upsampling, I will at least try it with different recordings. I want the music/sound to be as "neutral" as possible.

Andreashifi

• hifi, stereo, 2.0
« Reply #983 on: 22 Jun 2018, 05:29 pm »
Marantz makes excellent SACD players. Their 8004 is very fine (even in standard CD mode).

I agree! But, I hope the BDA-3 will do a even better job (more neutral and higher resolution) with the signal  :D!

Andreashifi

• hifi, stereo, 2.0
« Reply #984 on: 30 Jun 2018, 10:54 am »
I am still waiting for my BDA-3 to arrive, I think I'll will have it by the end of next week, before next weekend, I hope. I'm excited  :D! James send me a couple of reviews, that made me even more thrilled.

One question though: the XLR/balanced outputs volume 4 volts - that goes for BDA-1, BDA-2 and BDA-3; The output volume is the same for the three units?
Cheers!

Nikko

« Reply #985 on: 10 Jul 2018, 12:51 am »
I'm considering joining the Bryston family again. I once owned 7B-ST monoblocks. Now I'm considering the BDA-3. I've owned a NAD M51 for many years now and have the itch to upgrade. Can anyone here speak to how the BDA-3 compares to the M51?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #986 on: 10 Jul 2018, 01:39 am »
I'm considering joining the Bryston family again. I once owned 7B-ST monoblocks. Now I'm considering the BDA-3. I've owned a NAD M51 for many years now and have the itch to upgrade. Can anyone here speak to how the BDA-3 compares to the M51?

What do you think you are missing with your NAD that you believe an upgrade may solve?
Should try to audition a BDA if possible, at home.
cheers

Andreashifi

• hifi, stereo, 2.0
« Reply #987 on: 17 Jul 2018, 08:17 am »

Grant Hill

« Reply #988 on: 18 Jul 2018, 01:59 pm »
congrats! please share your impressions

Andreashifi

• hifi, stereo, 2.0
« Reply #989 on: 18 Jul 2018, 08:59 pm »
Thanks Mr Grant Hill! Impressions so far and only on USB: I don't like it. I love it!
I will get back and give more comments on BDA-3, I have to listen now  :thumb:!

Cheers! 

cooldude211986@gmail.com

« Reply #990 on: 6 Aug 2018, 05:05 am »
Congrats!

May I also know the source you’re using to feed BDA-3.

Andreashifi

• hifi, stereo, 2.0
« Reply #991 on: 8 Aug 2018, 11:13 am »
Thanks! So far, I've only used the USB and listened mainly via Itunes (Apple Lossless), Spotify, Youtube and HBO Nordic. I will of course use the HDMI (SACD), and Coax (CD, DVD, Bluray). My plan is to test each input very careful and during a period of time, I will focus let's say a month or more on each input. So far so good.

Ola_S

« Reply #992 on: 15 Aug 2018, 10:14 am »
I just got a BDA-3 the other day (and a BPD-3 to replace my old BDA-2/BDP-2 combi) and checked the firmware which was version: u2016.11p  (index.htm-014) Build Date: Nov 4 2016 15:16:32

I downloaded BDA3_2018_05d from http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDA3/firmware/ and followed the instructions in the manual. All leds on the front plate lit up green after the upload which should indicate a successful firmware upload, the web-GUI however still shows the same firmware version as before the update. I of course refreshed the browser window and also power cycled the dac, the same old firmware version is showing nevertheless. I guess this might be a problem with the web-GUI?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #993 on: 16 Aug 2018, 06:32 pm »
I just got a BDA-3 the other day (and a BPD-3 to replace my old BDA-2/BDP-2 combi) and checked the firmware which was version: u2016.11p  (index.htm-014) Build Date: Nov 4 2016 15:16:32

I downloaded BDA3_2018_05d from http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDA3/firmware/ and followed the instructions in the manual. All leds on the front plate lit up green after the upload which should indicate a successful firmware upload, the web-GUI however still shows the same firmware version as before the update. I of course refreshed the browser window and also power cycled the dac, the same old firmware version is showing nevertheless. I guess this might be a problem with the web-GUI?

I have a BDA-2/BDP-2 combo I've considered upgrading just as you did. How did you have the BDA-2/BDP-2 connected? How do you have the BDA-3/BDP-3 connected?

I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts/experiences, either in this thread or a PM.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #994 on: 18 Aug 2018, 12:23 am »
If all of the LEDs on the front of the BDA-3 are lit up, and staying lit up, you need to let it keep going until the unit power cycles itself. It will sit there with all the LEDs lit for a few minutes, while it is still updating things.

Ola_S

« Reply #995 on: 18 Aug 2018, 10:04 am »
If all of the LEDs on the front of the BDA-3 are lit up, and staying lit up, you need to let it keep going until the unit power cycles itself. It will sit there with all the LEDs lit for a few minutes, while it is still updating things.
Yes I know, and it power cycled itself. The LEDs were however not lit up for more than a few seconds.

Georgios

« Reply #996 on: 22 Aug 2018, 08:27 am »
Hi guys, have you successfully played dsd256 with BDA-3? I can’t on mac, it will have some kind of error message from Jriver saying device is not setup correctly etc but dsd64/sacd iso is working fine.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #997 on: 22 Aug 2018, 02:13 pm »
Hi guys, have you successfully played dsd256 with BDA-3? I can’t on mac, it will have some kind of error message from Jriver saying device is not setup correctly etc but dsd64/sacd iso is working fine.

Hi Georgios

DSD256 native should work fine.
DoP is limited to DSD128.

james

Ola_S

« Reply #998 on: 22 Aug 2018, 03:21 pm »

Any ideas James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #999 on: 22 Aug 2018, 05:42 pm »
Any ideas James?

Hi

Sorry I do not - email Mike at Bryston please - mpickett@bryston.com

james