Hard drive help

Andrew JC

Hard drive help
« on: 8 Feb 2007, 03:12 pm »
I’m suffering from analysis paralysis on a hard drive purchase. What I need to do is purchase a hard drive for an external enclosure. I’m going to use it to back up my desktop PC so I can reload Windows and all my applications. After that’s done them I’m going to use the drive in a new system. For specs I’m looking at SATA3, and 320GB. Does anyone recommendations? I’ll be doing all my shopping at Newegg. I would like to pull the trigger on this by Friday. Thanks for any help.

Brad

Re: Hard drive help
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2007, 03:40 pm »
Newegg is terrific.

Seagate typically has the best warranty (5 years), but most of the mfrs are making pretty good stuff these days.
Keep an eye on price, as Newegg changes daily (price drops, sometimes free shipping, etc)
You might save $10 from one day to the next.
(Whoops -that probably won't help the paralysis)

Buy this one, right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

Andrew JC

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2007, 04:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that one is on the list. Many people say it is a quiet drive which is appealing. The system I'm going to build may be a HTPC. I'm really looking at the Hitachi T7K but it has some noise complaints.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2007, 06:20 pm »
Hey!

Yup, Seagate here. I have 2 external HDDs, 250g and 400g both work great!

I'm currently using the 400g to store my music files from CD with full resolution and play it through my iTune on my PowerBook G4.... it is quiet enough, don't know if Hitachi is quieter :D

Anyway, you can't go wrong with Seagate. And the other company that I think also good is Toshiba but make sure you don't get their cheaper OEM HDD. :D

There always a few of them on sale at Tigerdirct. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Andrew JC

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2007, 10:48 pm »
OK now I'm looking at the Seagate drives. FWIW this is the enclosure I'm looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817392002

Porter

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2007, 08:19 pm »
I have had excellent luck with Hitachi (IBM) and Western Digital drives over the years.  Not so much with Maxtor.

Andrew JC

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2007, 11:45 pm »
I'm still on the fence I have to make up my mind by Monday. I have used IBM as well as Seagate drives in the past. At least Im having fun on Neweggs website!

Porter

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2007, 11:51 pm »
Also look on www.buy.com, they have great deals on stuff.  Newegg is a good source but with the reservation that their return process is occasionally less-than-perfect if you have a problem.  Not to discourage anyone from buying from them... they are a great source for gear.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2007, 12:04 am by Porter »

Thump553

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2007, 01:30 pm »
Over the years (probably five or so) that I've dealt with Newegg they have been top shelf quality when dealing with returns.  I've probably returned three or four things and the only possible complaint I could have is when they credited my credit card instead of shipping a replacement without telling me (they had gone out of stock on the product).

In fact, service and return policies are, to me, a major reason to deal with newegg, and not a reason to avoid them.

Andrew JC

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2007, 01:50 pm »
I did check out buy.com but I’ll most definitely use Newegg. I have purchased from them in the past and never have been disappointed. I think they have the best laid out websites for purchasing computer components. The customer reviews both help and hurt as well but it’s no different than the audio word when it comes to opinion as to what’s best!

contrarian

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2007, 02:22 pm »
I just bought this enclosure last week from Newegg and l like it very much.  Nice cooling fan, quiet, supports sataII and usb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145660

I also have had good luck with Seagate and better luck with Western Digital.  In my experience, the WD drives have been quieter.

Andrew JC

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2007, 03:16 pm »
I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I did get the Seagate .10 drive. I should have it Thursday so that's when the fun begins. In a month or so I'll buy the components for a new PC. Thanks again...