Lampizator Baltic 3

sidvee

Re: Lampizator Baltic 3
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2022, 05:14 pm »
Thanks a lot Nickmimi and Geerock.  I have emailed my dealer and lampizator also that I want the switch, and will pay for it if required.
Cheers,
Sid

sidvee

« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2022, 09:49 am »
I got a mail from Lukasz, that he can include the switch.  Highly appreciative of the quick response from Lukasz, also the responses of the members here.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Sid

doggie

« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2022, 01:15 pm »
Sid, no the most recent changes made to the newest B3 were a surprise to me. The unit sounds excellent but the gain switch omission was a complete surprise. I emailed Poland and never received a response and Rob @ Lampi North was quick to point out the change was for improved performance. Unbeknownst to me if you want a high/low gain switch you now have to ask for it.

I have a 6 month old unit that has a gain switch. I thought that I would need to use it as my integrated amp already has a lot of gain.

What I found was that when I used the lower gain I lost some sound quality. I should say that it just sounded "less wonderful". My guess is that they decided the same?

One thing that I did pay extra for is a switch to allow me to use 12SN7s. You can often get "Holy Grail" 12SN7s at a fraction of the cost of the same tube in the 6v version. I think that it cost $200 extra. You will save that the first time you do not have to pay the toll for a highly sought after 6SN7.

BTW. Does anyone know what brand/type/model of rectifier they are now supplying with the Baltic?

Best.

geerock

« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2022, 02:34 pm »
Pretty sure they are sending them out with the psVane entry level 274b.  That's what my nephew got with his a few weeks ago.  But you can call for upgraded tubes depending on what's available.  Europe is having a hell of a time with new tube production right now.  I heard a friends Big 7 mk2 that came with the basic psVane 274b and 101d's and I knew he could do much better.  A much better tube is the WE replica from psVane......and many others.  He changed the 101d's to those and I lent him a Phillip's 5u4g for a rectifier from the 50's and it was WOW!

El Tio

« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2022, 03:34 pm »
Pretty sure they are sending them out with the psVane entry level 274b.  That's what my nephew got with his a few weeks ago.  But you can call for upgraded tubes depending on what's available.  Europe is having a hell of a time with new tube production right now.  I heard a friends Big 7 mk2 that came with the basic psVane 274b and 101d's and I knew he could do much better.  A much better tube is the WE replica from psVane......and many others.  He changed the 101d's to those and I lent him a Phillip's 5u4g for a rectifier from the 50's and it was WOW!
I received my Baltic last month. It came with a Phillips/JAN/5R4GA Rectifier, the usual Psvane (Blue Ball) 6SN7-BEs and electra-harmonix 12BH7s. I have just started to roll the 6SN7s.

rpw

« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2022, 10:38 pm »
I received my Baltic March 23rd with Phillips 5R4GA Rectifier, JJ 6sn7, and Psvane 12AU7-S. I did not get a gain switch even though it was advertised on the website as having one. I am satisfied with the set 3 v gain, works for me. I noticed a recent add on Audiogon which states a hi/lo gain switch included, no option listed. I have been burning in with 3-4 hours daily about 4-5 days a week. I am not in a rush. I did try a few pair of Ken-Rad and Tungsol NOS tubes, the Tungsol being the better match for my taste. The JJs sound pretty good so far with the Tungsol having better bass definition and dynamics, but not by much. I do not have an alternate rectifier yet.

NickMimi

« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2022, 02:39 am »
I too received my B3 last month. It came with a Phillips/JAN/5R4GA Rectifier, the usual Psvane (Blue Ball) 6SN7-BEs and electro-harmonix 12BH7s. Haven't rolled yet, i want some more hours on the electronics as is so I can develop a good personal reference point for the units abilities as it stands.

El Tio

« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2022, 02:59 am »
It seems to be a crap shoot as to what tubes are installed for delivery but I don't have a problem with that as most of us change them anyway.

F208Frank

« Reply #28 on: 17 May 2022, 06:40 am »
on the head fi forums, a lot of fans of the lampizator, I myself do not have one or heard of them, but definitely curious to try some time soon!