The Vapor Vayu

dragon5589909

The Vapor Vayu
« on: 23 Mar 2013, 05:39 pm »
I would to like to share with everyone some photos of a custom build that Ryan, Pete and I worked together.

The speakers are nothing short of awesome, which is what everyone has come to expect of a Vapor speaker.

It features the RAAL 70-20XR and Usher 8948a Paper/Carbon Fibre midwoofers.

The cabinet is strand-woven bamboo. Strand-woven bamboo has a janka hardness rating twice or thrice that of laminated bamboo (e.g. Ascend Acoustics, Audioengine, Vaughn Loudspeakers). As I understand, this is Vapor's first commerical bamboo build. in fact, this might just be the first commerical strand-woven bamboo pair! Do correct me if I'm wrong. That said, Ryan was more than than happy to accommodate my suggestion of bamboo, given its strength and good looks (images below, with more in the Vapor Audio gallery).

Ryan will have to fill us in with respect to the crossover components

I suggested christening this bespoke model the Vayu. Vayu is the Hindu wind god that breathes life and animates each of us with etheral quality, not dissimilar from what we want out of these speakers. Vayu is often describe as immensely good-looking, powerful and heroic, yet fights with delicacy and finesse. His inability to be tarnished by sin is famous in Hindu mythology.

As I'm a medical student, currently on a surgical internship, I will have to post my complete impressions of both Vapor Audio and the Vayus at a later date.

But briefly, the Vayus are extremely natural and extended. Although my hearing is limited to 17.64Khz (i tested), everything the Vayus do from 40Hz to that is gorgeous.

The current set up is as follows: MacBook Pro > Amarra > Audio GD NFB 1.32 (ESS Sabre) > NAD C370 > Vapor Vayus. Cabling includes cheap, generic USB and audio cables.

The main limitations are the budget amp, the tiny room (~3.5m X 5.5m), and proximity to the walls and desk.

The desk they're perched on is 140cm wide. With the benefit of the images enclosed below, the Vayus project a good meter of sound laterally. I kid you not. The soundstage envelopes me even with my back flat against the wall.

For reference, I came off a personal B&W 803S, and my dad had 800Ds and (stereotypical) Classé. Though the B&Ws left us just before I began medical school, I cannot forget they way they sounded. The RAAL is clearer than then aluminium tweeter of the 803S. I will not trust my memory when comparing the RAALs with the diamond tweeters, but I'd hazard they are at least as detailed, if not clearer. More crucially, the mids and treble is far more natural than the B&Ws. I admit my family were into the lushness of the B&W mids, but I personally favour the ease at which the RAALs waft music at you. Bass is useful till ~40Hz. It is surreal having Eric Clapton or Vienna Teng standing 'through' the desk or having a 1.8m high african drum half a meter away as you sit typing your work.

And mind you, I am basing this off an NAD C370 budget amp, with not-so-great room acoustics, in comparison with Classe-driven B&Ws... For my own purposes, I've used the same tracks I've listening too for years, including over the B&Ws. My future plans for the Vayus include balanced ClassDAudio SDS-470 based monoblocks and proper cabling.

Ryan and Pete believe the Vayus are '90%' of the Cirrus Blacks, but 'not as sensitive'. The Usher 8948a does its job very well indeed.

I did not A/B the following speakers directly, since I've only had these Vayus for a short while. Comparisons are from memory.

The Usher Be-718 DMD (diamond) were great, but these Vayus are better. Thinking about it, the 718s share only the same woofer as the Vayus, but the Vayus have the RAAL, a better cabinet, and I would say, a better crossover. The Vayus are less harsh and noticeably more open.

Dynaudio C1s have been a favourite of mine. I believe the Vayus at least equal them. Even on volume level 5 (out of 80) I have been able to demolish my room with expansive classical and jazz music. The rest of the compact London flat is shaking at level 15, and the neighbours were up knocking by level 25. I mention this because the I remember the Dyns being very composed at very loud volumes. The Vayus are no different.

The B&W 805Ds are very pleasant and polite, but nowhere near the Vayus.

Paradigm Signatures - I found the entire line disturbingly harsh at the 3 or 4 instances I came across them.

In summary, the Usher 718s have been declared very close to the Dyn C1s, with the B&W 805Ds offering an alternative sound. I am confident that the Vayus are a better speaker than the Ushers and B&Ws. I think they are at least on par with the C1s, and I am utterly eager to have a direct comparison with the C1s.

I cannot thank Ryan and Pete enough for the joy the Vayus have brought to my family. It has honestly meant a lot to us. When one thinks about it, creating a new speaker involves more than just buying parts and putting them together. Ryan and Pete have invested their experience and their appreciation for music, and shaped entirely new products without tolerance of any flaws. While building the Vayus, Ryan had to listen, calibrate, relisten, recalibrate the crossovers and components multiple times.

I've seen the previous, and at times contentious, threads on Vapor's other speakers. However, I must attest to Vapor's dedication and commitment to producing a speaker of your dreams, not his. No other company I approached was willing to undertake this project much less at his price. And at no point, were Ryan and Pete nothing short of helpful, dedicated and supportive. I have been fortunate to enjoy luxury bespoke services, but Vapor has taken service one step further by investing its heart and sincerity in each handmade speaker.   

Vapor is a company I would like to grow with, and continue purchasing world-class products from.

I have not just gained exquisite music, but also, friends in both Ryan and Pete.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: The Vapor Vayu
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2013, 07:14 pm »
Fantastic review! Coherent and well written. In due time you will have a disposable income to indulge in this crazy hobby of ours even more (from one physician to another...).

Best,
Anand.

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2013, 07:30 pm »
Great review, I wish I could hear those.  That stranded bamboo is such a cool look.  I have always like the sound of Usher drivers as well.  Good luck with your internship.

studiotech

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2013, 08:04 pm »
Fantastic looking build and combo of drivers.

Might I humbly suggest a pair of these for your desktop instead of the packing foam.

http://www.primacoustic.com/recoil-specs.htm

Greg

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2013, 08:54 pm »
Are the Vayus sealed or ported?

Great looking stuff.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2013, 09:06 pm »

Great looking stuff.

Rear ported Roscoe.

And to Faii, wow, I'm humbled by your kind words.  You are a pleasure to work with and I am so pleased that the sound and look of the Vayus have met, and apparently exceeded, your expectations.  That Usher woofer surprised me with its ability to offer room filling bass energy and yet still deliver effortlessly clean and detailed mids.

I look forward to working with you again.

Besides the flat neighbors you've potentially upset, have any other Londoners experienced the breath of Vayu besides your family? 

dragon5589909

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2013, 11:26 pm »
Fantastic review! Coherent and well written. In due time you will have a disposable income to indulge in this crazy hobby of ours even more (from one physician to another...).

Best,
Anand.

Hey Anand! Thank you for your kind encouragement - I just hope that I'll be able to make it to the US as an IMG. And I hope that medicine still pays enough to survive! :P

But Vapor is an astonishing proposition even price aside...

dragon5589909

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm »
Great review, I wish I could hear those.  That stranded bamboo is such a cool look.  I have always like the sound of Usher drivers as well.  Good luck with your internship.

Much appreciated mate! Actually can't imagine how the Vayus would look in a hand-rubbed piano finish.

Thanks for the well wishes too.

dragon5589909

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2013, 11:28 pm »

Great looking stuff.

Hope this helps!

dragon5589909

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2013, 11:29 pm »
Fantastic looking build and combo of drivers.

Might I humbly suggest a pair of these for your desktop instead of the packing foam.

http://www.primacoustic.com/recoil-specs.htm

Greg

Thanks Greg. Might you have any experience with them?

Was thinking of them and other alternatives, but trying to save some $ on my current budget.

dragon5589909

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2013, 11:48 pm »
Rear ported Roscoe.

And to Faii, wow, I'm humbled by your kind words.  You are a pleasure to work with and I am so pleased that the sound and look of the Vayus have met, and apparently exceeded, your expectations.  That Usher woofer surprised me with its ability to offer room filling bass energy and yet still deliver effortlessly clean and detailed mids.

Besides the flat neighbors you've potentially upset, have any other Londoners experienced the breath of Vayu besides your family?

Pete!

Not at all. You guys deserve what has been written. Never did expect Ryan to say yes when I first called. A dealer that doesn't push his products or encourage you to spend more is rare.

I actually added another layer of foam under the speakers. They are also pointing forwards now. The review is based on this new positioning. Angling them towards me with the extra foam does sharpen the image somewhat (a bit too much on some tracks), but am perfectly happy with the imaging.

Though understated with words as I usually am, I was thoroughly surprised with raising the Vayus two inches and having them parallel. Solo voices are now two feet in the air above my head, as compared to being a feet high and square in front of the listener. Soundstage and imaging improved a tonne. I finally started grooving to the music. This slight change of position was honestly more than when I went from Fidelia to Amarra.

Don't forget the Arte Forma amps. Let's see how much this student budget can stretch! :S     

p.s. pardon the typos and grammatical oversights in the review. didn't manage to have a second read whilst studying.

EDIT - Tracks from Olivia Ong (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNQOB2SnBkc) just came up. I do not understand why my table has been magically been teleported to her recording studio. Having the vocal reverberations flanking you, Olivia a distinct two to three metres in front of me and the music a good metre and a half behind me is eerily magical. I never expected being in a bubble of sound from a pair of 'desktop monitors'.

Pete, save me from cliches. Never thought i'd write such things, but I'm smiling so much through this, though I should be finishing my Rheumatology notes at the moment.

dragon5589909

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2013, 12:09 am »
Rear ported Roscoe.

Forgot to answer:

Nope, not as yet - only several friends. More than happy should you have customers who'd like to drop by.

bummrush

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2013, 12:11 am »
Very nice