Vapor at the Newport Beach Show

markie

Re: Vapor at the Newport Beach Show
« Reply #60 on: 6 Jun 2013, 09:35 pm »
I don't usually get excited over looks but there's something about these that really speak to me.

I concur, something about the form of these speakers is just compelling to look at.  Full yet shapely. Truly a work of art!

Mark

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #61 on: 6 Jun 2013, 09:57 pm »
It appears to have lower distortion than even the C173 with the cutouts.

It is a bit spendier though.  I certainly wouldn't mind giving it a go.  Now I just have to convince Ryan . . .

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #62 on: 6 Jun 2013, 11:09 pm »
It is a bit spendier though.  I certainly wouldn't mind giving it a go.  Now I just have to convince Ryan . . .

Aren't you guys using the $900 C173?  The C90 open-back midrange is $300 cheaper.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #63 on: 6 Jun 2013, 11:22 pm »
Aren't you guys using the $900 C173?  The C90 open-back midrange is $300 cheaper.

We use it in the Joule White and Cirrus White.  But it's also quite a bit larger than the C90.  Again, I'd love to try it . . .  :D

Andre2

« Reply #64 on: 7 Jun 2013, 12:22 am »
Looks fantastic!  I want a pair  :D

lowtech

« Reply #65 on: 7 Jun 2013, 01:05 am »
Not tried that one yet.  Wish I could see how to properly mount that little guy.  I do like the concept of having the backside completely open...

Maybe it will work itself out when you guys stumble across the virtues of OB (more specifically, dipole) speakers.  You won't have to spend as much time building dead cabinets, so maybe you can sell your finished products for less and pass the savings on to the customer.   Win/win for everyone.  :thumb:

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #66 on: 7 Jun 2013, 02:00 am »
Maybe it will work itself out when you guys stumble across the virtues of OB (more specifically, dipole) speakers.  You won't have to spend as much time building dead cabinets, so maybe you can sell your finished products for less and pass the savings on to the customer.   Win/win for everyone.  :thumb:

Done the OB thing.  It has its strengths along with obvious weaknesses.  OB bass is very inefficient, but certainly possible.  Danny's OB subs were breathtaking at RMAF last year.  But it requires a LOT more drivers to accomplish what the Nimbus is able to do with a single woofer in each cabinet.

We did discuss the possibility of doing an OB design on the drive back from Newport, but we're pretty well stocked up on product line.

Of course, if someone were to commission an over the top OB from us, we'd be more than happy to oblige.   :green:

jhm731

« Reply #67 on: 11 Jun 2013, 06:20 am »
Congrats on the excellent write up by JA:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/empirical-audio-vapor-audio

I'd be very interesting in a pair of Nimbus, but they just delivered my new speakers today:

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #68 on: 11 Jun 2013, 07:31 am »

I'd be very interesting in a pair of Nimbus, but they just delivered my new speakers today:

Thanks!  It was nice to see the write up.  JA spent at least 15 minutes in the room and was busily writing notes during the tracks.  Now he's at least familiar with Vapor! 

I don't know how we'd fit you into a pair of Nimbus, but if we could, it would definitely be interesting.  :lol:

Now about those speakers you had delivered . . .

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #69 on: 11 Jun 2013, 07:37 pm »
Oh yeah!

John Atkinson listed us in his top 5 best of show!

Ooorah!

"Of the rooms I visited but Jason didn’t, I particularly enjoyed the music in the Red Wine/Bricasti/Harbeth, Empirical Audio/Vapor Audio, Musical Surroundings, MSB, Dynaudio, Audio Element/Ayre/Sonus Faber, and Magico/Constellation rooms."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/another-opening-another-show

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #70 on: 11 Jun 2013, 08:27 pm »
Nice, that is big praise coming from John Atkinson, he writes some great reviews. 

I look forward to finally hearing them tonight!!  I will post some thoughts tomorrow.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #71 on: 11 Jun 2013, 09:23 pm »
Oh yeah!

John Atkinson listed us in his top 5 best of show!

Ooorah!

"Of the rooms I visited but Jason didn’t, I particularly enjoyed the music in the Red Wine/Bricasti/Harbeth, Empirical Audio/Vapor Audio, Musical Surroundings, MSB, Dynaudio, Audio Element/Ayre/Sonus Faber, and Magico/Constellation rooms."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/another-opening-another-show

I think I just pulled something from patting myself on the back  :duh:

Thanks to Steve of Empirical for putting together a killer front end, and Arte Forma for supplying the fantastic amplifiers.  Keep in mind that even though we received a Best of Show mention, we had one of the largest speakers there in the smallest room ... 11x16.  Put the Nimbus in a bigger room and they grow massively in scale and soundstage, and become much more transparent. 

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #72 on: 16 Jun 2013, 09:26 am »
Another very nice review from one of the San Diego Music and Audio Guild members.

http://www.hpsoundings.com/2013/06/3697/

If anyone is thinking of ordering a Nimbus, better act quick before we take Jan's advice. :green:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #73 on: 21 Jun 2013, 03:34 pm »
Redundant...
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2013, 02:12 pm by bpape »

seadogs1

« Reply #74 on: 10 Jul 2013, 01:03 pm »
What are the differences between the Nimbus and the Nimbus White?

EdRo

« Reply #75 on: 10 Jul 2013, 01:39 pm »
The "blacks" use Wavecor 6"mids and the "whites" use Accuton 6" mids.  :)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #76 on: 10 Jul 2013, 03:23 pm »

Cute.