Amplifier Recommendations for Cirrus Blacks

Glady86

Amplifier Recommendations for Cirrus Blacks
« on: 2 Mar 2013, 04:30 am »
 Great to see the new forum! I own a pair of Cirrus Blacks, sound great! Using a REL sub with mine. I am using a pair of Odyssey Audio Extreme mono blocks that work well with the speakers but been thinking of trying something different, maybe tube amps. I thought of trying the Bob Carver 180 tube amps. Any certain amp types work best with theses speakers?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Amplifier Recommendations for Cirrus Blacks
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2013, 11:11 pm »
I've gotten to hear the Blacks on 40W 805 SET, a variety of 40W KT88 Push Pull, as well as some 9W SET tubes, and the Blacks pulled every nuance that all these amps had to offer.  They're a fairly benign load, so I can't imagine any tube amps having difficulty with them. 

Ryan's currently running the Arte Forma Due Volte 805 SE with them and all I can say is, it's hard to leave the room when they're running.

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm »
Run mine with a 22w 845 SET and it's pretty incredible.

Glady86

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2013, 04:09 am »
 Thanks guys! Great to hear that lower power amps are sufficient to drive the Cirrus speakers. I'll look into the other types mentioned.

Glady86

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2013, 06:21 am »
I never owned any type of tube power amps but always been curious. I did a little reading about SET amps and this type is interesting. The Arte Forma 805 might be the model I try. Also this model is a bit cheaper than the Bob Carver 180 I was considering. My only concern is I read these types of amps (SET) are best with less complex music? I listen to a lot of rock music, so maybe the wrong type for me? Or since the Cirrus Blacks are tube friendly easy to drive and the Arte Forma has 40 watts I would be happy with the performance with complex music.

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2013, 05:47 pm »
I listen to mostly rock with mine, no issues.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2013, 06:03 pm »
I never owned any type of tube power amps but always been curious. I did a little reading about SET amps and this type is interesting. The Arte Forma 805 might be the model I try. Also this model is a bit cheaper than the Bob Carver 180 I was considering. My only concern is I read these types of amps (SET) are best with less complex music? I listen to a lot of rock music, so maybe the wrong type for me? Or since the Cirrus Blacks are tube friendly easy to drive and the Arte Forma has 40 watts I would be happy with the performance with complex music.

Ryan listens to a lot of rock music.  His favorite band, Nine Inch Nails, regularly gets an audience.  Reznor is a studio master, using ambient techniques, all kinds of effects that evoke massive sound stage width and depth.  All this comes through.  One of my favorite "demo" tracks to enjoy with the 805 is Billy Idol's "White Wedding."  Great recording.  Lot's of fun and good dynamics.  I almost never leave without hearing a bit of Rammstein, "Ich Will" being right at the top of my favorites list.

They definitely do a great job with complex music being Class A, but having 40W available allows them to deliver a fairly high SPL before the onset of clipping.  So when you want to crank up the rock, it's there.

Glady86

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2013, 06:24 pm »
Thanks guys! I think I will try the Arte Forma 805. Pete, I sent an email regarding those amps.

Best Regards!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2013, 12:40 am »
I'd say those Arte Forma 805 monoblocks would be a perfect 'something else' from your Odyssey amps.  I've been impressed with the pair I have here.  They're my first experience with a 805 power tube, and I'd say they're very neutral with good extension at both ends.  I have a customer using the Carver 180's with some Cirrus White's and is very happy with the result. 

Honestly, I can't remember an amp I've used with the Cirrus Black that I didn't like.  With tubes I'd say you need 20 watts or more, less and the bottom end does thin out a bit.  Those 9wpc 300B SET's did sound glorious except for the thin bass.  The 805 amps are a nice fit because you get enough power to keep the full bottom end, but still have that midrange bloom and smoothness of a SET.

Glady86

« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2013, 06:02 am »
 Hi Ryan, the Odyssey amps are plenty good enough, but my tube amp curiosity got the best of me!

Cheers!

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2013, 12:59 am »
+1 for the arte forma gear, I run mine on the 40w kt88 integrated.  So clean and detailed, really brings out all the best in thr blacks.  I would kill for those monoblocks.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2013, 03:27 pm »
So Travis, I heard you ordered a pair of the 805 monoblocks?  After using them all weekend at Axpona and being blown away on both the Cirrus Black and Stiff Breeze, I gotta think you made a very good decision.  You're gonna love 'em!  I would suggest replacing the factory 6SN7 with the Psvane MkII CV181-B, gives a nice touch of refinement and smoothness. 

Glady86

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2013, 06:18 pm »
Pretty excited about those Arte Forma amps, my first tube amps! I orderd March 4th. I like the looks of them a lot, and I think Cary and Wavac build amps of this type, but are way too expensive.

Thanks for the tube tip, but were to get those Psvane CV181-B? I could only find CV181-T, or are these the same type?