Axpona Chicago, 2013

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Axpona Chicago, 2013
« on: 24 Feb 2013, 12:31 am »
We have a great show planned for Axpona.  To start we'll be showing the Cirrus and our new Stiff Breeze, possibly some others if there's room in the truck.  Our planned debut of Nimbus, a 4' tall 92db sensitive floorstander with a 15" woofer, didn't quite pan out but it'll be making waves somewhere else soon. 

Also at the show with us, Arte Forma will be providing a pair of fabulous sounding 805A based tube monoblock amps producing 40wpc.  I've been using them at home for some time, and am quite smitten by them.  We'll also be using their pre-amp, both a tube and solid state unit will be in rotation, both with an optical volume control, excellent sound, and great price.  Norman Yang from Arte Forma will be in attendance, making the trip from Taiwan.  Also hoping to make an appearance as a display is the all new solid state amp designed by Vapor Audio's own Pete Schumacher ... I'll have Pete chime in with details.  Pete is a talented guy, and his new design will I believe turn some heads.

Antipodes will be providing their music server that has become the reference source in my own listening rooms, and cabling.  Their silver/gold cabling has also become my own personal reference.  Mark from Antipodes will also be attendance, from New Zealand.  Plenty of frequent flier miles racked up for our room! 

Finally we'll be using the BMC DAC and BMC belt-drive cd transport for people who want to spin their own discs. 

Come see us in Room 709

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
Re: Axpona Chicago, 2013
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2013, 02:43 am »
I really hope I can make it!

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2013, 02:48 am »
See you there Ryan!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2013, 03:16 am »
See you there Ryan!

Glad you'll be there, we have a lot to talk about.  Hopefully I can help you choose a direction  :)

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2013, 05:49 am »
Friday and today we played the Cirrus ... just wanted to post for the many people who asked, tomorrow we'll be playing the Stiff Breeze all day. 

It's been a great show so far! 

sharpsuxx

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2013, 05:39 pm »
you're killing me here, any pictures?  I hope the show went well, eye candy needed!!!  :D

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:14 pm »
How about a couple of the Stiff Breeze setup ...

Music server on top from Antipodes
Under is the BMC DAC1
Then the Arte Forma Thalia tube pre-amp
Amps are Arte Forma Due Volta 805 monoblocks at 40wpc
Cabling from Arte Forma, Racks from HiFi Racks in the UK, and room treatments by ATS Acoustics

bajaed

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:18 pm »
I'm frustrated I was not able to make it. I was looking forward to going as soon as they announced the show. Planned on flying in Thursday and going Friday but I had surgery for a detached retina earlier this month and have not been cleared to fly yet. Wanted to drive but with my sons opening baseball game on Saturday, his birthday on Sunday and my wife going in for ankle surgery at 6 a.m. today, I could not fit it in.

I have been wanting to hear Ryan's speakers for quite a while. Guess I'll have to pack my amp in the car and head to St. Louis this spring or summer. Ryan, what is the next show you will be at?

The Stiff Breeze setup looks great! Did you play the Sundog or just have it on display?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:31 pm »
I'm frustrated I was not able to make it. I was looking forward to going as soon as they announced the show. Planned on flying in Thursday and going Friday but I had surgery for a detached retina earlier this month and have not been cleared to fly yet. Wanted to drive but with my sons opening baseball game on Saturday, his birthday on Sunday and my wife going in for ankle surgery at 6 a.m. today, I could not fit it in.

I have been wanting to hear Ryan's speakers for quite a while. Guess I'll have to pack my amp in the car and head to St. Louis this spring or summer. Ryan, what is the next show you will be at?

The Stiff Breeze setup looks great! Did you play the Sundog or just have it on display?

Sorry you couldn't make it Ed, but you're welcome to my spare bedroom anytime you can drive down.  My father is recovering from a detached retina right now as well, I know the recovery is a slow and frustrating process.  But my wife and sister just make up some bedazzled eye-patches for him  :lol:

It looks like we might have a pair of the new Nimbus at Newport Beach show, but details are still hazy. 

The Stiff Breeze sounded and looked fantastic, gotta say they're pretty hard to beat for $1895/pair.  We didn't play the Sundog, just a display.  But I'll be hooking them back up here at home today. 

mr_bill

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:40 pm »
The baffle looks interesting - the woofers appear to be built out from the baffle - is that for time alignment?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:53 pm »
The baffle looks interesting - the woofers appear to be built out from the baffle - is that for time alignment?

Yes, the drivers are time aligned which helps make possible 1st order networks (along with the drivers having smooth, extended bandwidth).  The other purpose of the new baffle is it's extremely strong, 1.5" thick with with a Baltic Ply layer. 

sharpsuxx

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:42 pm »
Wow, great looking setup with the stiff Breeze.  It looks like ATS really hooked it up, I hope the show went well.  More pics!!! :D...please

R_burke

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2013, 01:47 pm »
OK, so now are you going to be at The Show in Newport?  If so please bring the Stiff Breeze

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2013, 02:08 pm »
Yes, the drivers are time aligned which helps make possible 1st order networks (along with the drivers having smooth, extended bandwidth).  The other purpose of the new baffle is it's extremely strong, 1.5" thick with with a Baltic Ply layer.

1.5" thick baffle? Like the sound of that.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2013, 03:23 pm »
OK, so now are you going to be at The Show in Newport?  If so please bring the Stiff Breeze

We're working on Newport, nothing set in stone yet.  Should know within the next couple days.  If we do go, we have a new floorstander we'd debut there.  PM me though, we might be able to work something out.  I'm thinking I could bring a pair with no stands, and let you take them home for a night if you live close to the show venue.   

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2013, 03:24 pm »
1.5" thick baffle? Like the sound of that.

Or lack of sound from that, more appropriately  :lol:

The baffles that come with those cabinets are a joke.  They're easily the worst quality MDF I've ever seen, like pressed toilet paper.  The new baffles address that issue, and give us time alignment ... win win!

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2013, 03:27 pm »
Win. Win. Indeed.

And boy did I walk right into that joke. :duh:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2013, 03:31 pm »
Win. Win. Indeed.

And boy did I walk right into that joke. :duh:

Got nothing with this post though ...

Nice talking with you at the show though.  And if you ever do want to come down to STL with the Mini's for an Aurora comparison, my spare bedroom is always open.  That sounds like fun to me!

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2013, 03:35 pm »
Yes Ryan, always good to see you and Pete. I will get down there to STL one of these days. If I don't my family in St. Louis may well kill me.