Marigo Audio Tuning Dots

Ernest

Marigo Audio Tuning Dots
« on: 21 Mar 2003, 08:14 pm »
My listening room has a major problem:  lots of windows.  The room is 15’ long and 11.75’ wide.  One of the narrow ends has two very large picture windows, and the opposite narrow end has a sliding glass door.  My system sits in front of the sliding glass door, and my listening chair sits right in front of the other windows. The windows all have curtains over them but the curtains are thin and don’t help much.

In the past year I’ve tried various things to help with the windows.  The first thing I did was get the current curtains, but because I had to get something my wife would like, what I ended up with didn’t really help.  Then, at the suggestion of my very wise neighbor, I put a large rug over the plate glass windows.  The change in the sound was huge!  There was more detail and a greater sense of presence.  I was amazed.  But it looked awful.  After a while I had to take the rug down.

Over time I tried hanging a small rug, but that didn’t work as well as the original rug, and it still looked awful.  I thought about building various things to put over the windows, but I suck at building anything and so I never really pursued it.  Then I found out about Marigo Audio’s Tuning Dots…

The Tuning Dots are small, round dots with an adhesive back, that when applied to the surface of something, provides dampening of vibrations.  Ron, the owner of Marigo Audio, assured me that applying a number of these dots to my windows would solve my problem, and it would look good as well.  I was VERY SKEPTICAL.  I just couldn’t see how these little dots could do much of anything to my large windows.  I hoped though that they would work because it would be such an easy solution to my problem.

Given the size and number of windows in my room, I was going to need 48 dots.  I ordered them and then proceeded to install them.  There are actually 4 panes of glass in my room, and so 3 dots went into each corner of each pane of glass.  I had sent Ron a precise description of the windows, and he send with my order a diagram showing the exact position of where each dot should be placed.  As I was installing them my wife kept calling me a sucker (in a friendly, teasing way) and I kept wondering how the heck these things could possible do anything.  

I installed the dots on the plate glass window first and then sat down to listen.  I didn’t have the curtain up so the windows were completely exposed.  I played a track from “Jazz at the Pawn Shop” that I am very, very familiar with, and was immediately struck by the change in the sound.  Imaging, which had previously been OK, was very good.  High frequencies sounded better than ever.  Even the bass was better!  It seemed that they indeed were working!

I set up the rest of the dots on the sliding glass doors, and then was even more amazed.  A sense of presence like I have never known was coming from my speakers!  The imaging was just totally locked in.  There was an ease and naturalness to the sound that I had not heard before.

The change in sound that these dots made is HUGE.  You would have to kill me to take these dots away.  The sound didn’t just improve; it went to a level I had not known existed.  More than ever before, the music is so REAL, and so NATURAL.  It’s my Acoustic Reality equipment set free of the windows!

I am incredibly excited about these dots.  Some day I want to order some for my audio stand, which is metal and glass, and then some for my equipment.  I don’t have any idea how they work, but they really do!

Ernest

TheChairGuy

Marigo Audio Tuning Dots
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2003, 05:32 pm »
Ernest,

Thats a great tip on the dots.

Music Direct have sung their praises for years now and I moved about 6 months ago and my office/listening room is in a decent sized room that that improved dramatically recenty with the addition of a thick berber rug and some acoustic faom 2x2' panels from parts Express, but I have 4 giant windows, sliding glass doors AND glass paneled door to outside to content with.

How much did the 48 dots run you?  I've been toying with trying these for a while, but there is so much snake oil out there that I was real hesitant. I didn't want any wife-teasing either.

jesserparker

Marigo Audio Tuning Dots
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2003, 06:02 pm »
on enjoy the music thorsten loesch recommends the use of felt dots (read: cheap) to acheive the same effects.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0602/freakazoid.htm

anyhow, might be worth a shot if just to see what kinda difference these type of dots make in your room since you can try this out for around $4, then get the marigos if you want.  if you do, a head to head comparison of the two would be interesting.  see what % of the marigo's performance you can get  out of the felt,

jesse

roopaudio

Marigo Audio Tuning Dots
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2003, 10:32 pm »
Ernest,

How did the speakers turn out?  Are they settled in?  I'd like to hear your impression of the speaker / amplifier combination.  How's the synergy factor?

Rup

Tonto Yoder

Marigo Audio Tuning Dots
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2003, 04:49 pm »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
Ernest,
How much did the 48 dots run you?  I've been toying with trying these for a while, but there is so much snake oil out there that I was real hesitant. I didn't want any wife-teasing either.

Price list
http://www.marigoaudio.com/rone.htm
What's not quite clear (to me at least) is what exactly you get for the prices listed; in one of the reviews, I find this:"Chip in with your audiophile friends and buy the 4mm white dots ($69/package of 25). Stick one on the front vertical surface of your phone cartridge ..."
The website says the dots have a 30 day audition period.

TheChairGuy

Marigo Audio Tuning Dots
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2003, 05:58 pm »
Ernest, you there man?

Tonto - shoulda' just searched the website, too.  Anyhow, how many damn dots do you get for $79?

JesseR - I am not sure felt would do the trick..it would absorb a little, but not damp the window at all.

Another trick is buying 3M or Audio Additives 2 x 6" ($4.99) or 4 x 6" ($9.99)constrained layer sheets and cutting them up into your own dots or squares.  Should achieve the same effect...at less cost.  They are also available at amusicdirect.com.

Even cheaper may be Micheal Percy Audio (www.percyaudio.com) by buying Ear Isodamps (12 x 27") at $19.00 and cutting your own dots up.