1080p Projectors - Still Have Value?

ajzepp

1080p Projectors - Still Have Value?
« on: 26 Mar 2024, 05:32 am »
So apparently I'm kind of a moron, but in this case I'm not that mad about it...

In early 2022, my Sony 45es 1080p projector started up with a blinking red warning light and would automatically shut down after about 2min of operation. The lamp had only about 1000hr on it, so I was pretty sure that after six years of perfect operation, and frequent use, it developed an internal issue. I had been planning to go two more years and then see if laser had become more affordable, but ultimately I used this as an excuse to go ahead and jump into 4k. I did call around and eventually found an authorized Sony projector center back in NY (I live in Atlanta), and the rep said he thought it could still be the lamp. Anyway, decision already made, I pulled it out of active duty and into the closet it went.

Fast forward to today, I happened to come across an older lamp for the 1080p projector that I knew still had a little life left on it. I swapped it out, fired it up, and sure enough, works just as it always had before. So apparently the issue was, in fact, the lamp. So now I have an extra projector that I don't really have any use for, and I'm not really sure what I should do with it.

What would you guys do in this position? Sell it? Donate it? Use it for outdoor movie time in the summer and turn my back yard into a "drive-in"? 

Thanks