corrupt CF cards

navi

corrupt CF cards
« on: 22 Oct 2003, 02:49 pm »
hi

had my first file corruption on a compact flash card (ultra 256MB) last week on my 10D (shooting RAW files). so i took it in (the flash card) to a pro camera clinic to see if they can retrieve the data, they said that there was a good chance they can do it but..... it cost me $50 (!!!!) for them to take a look at it.
two days later i get a call from them telling me that they couldn't do it ($#!+) -so there goes an entire shoot.

does anyone know of any other way i can try to retrieve the data?

navi
Melbourne, Australia

drphoto

corrupt CF cards
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2003, 07:42 pm »
Lexar supplies data recovery software w/ their cards. I've have no idea if it works as (thankfully) I haven't had this problem. I do like the performance of Lexar in general however.

You can purchase here (for $40): http://store.digitalfilm.com/index.cfm?category=17, but if you buy a card....it comes free.

I'm very wary of Microdrives. Too fragile....drop one and they're toast....plus they don't fit in all CF adapters.

navi

corrupt CF cards
« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2003, 12:59 pm »
thanks DOC!

i know another photographer who has (had) one and everytime he shot frame 40 it would corrupt- just on that frame

Carlman

corrupt CF cards
« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2003, 02:32 pm »
Sounds like a circuit is broken inside the card.  Software probably won't be of much help in retrieving data if this is the case.  

I've never had the issue with a flash card but, I've had the issue with other devices... where I sat on it....oops.   It's like cracking a circuit board.... a microscopic circuit board.  If you sent the card to the manufacturer and asked them to retrieve the data at any cost, I would bet they could do it but, the cost would be signifigant.... Just depends on how much you got paid for the shoot as to whether it would be worth it.

djklmnop

corrupt CF cards
« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2003, 08:07 pm »
Didn't Canon release a firmware update for that?  I have the D60 and I know they updated the firmware for that exact problem.  Email Canon, they may be able to help.

Andy