Adobe's new RAW converter

drphoto

« on: 14 May 2003, 04:06 pm »
If you shoot digital and have the option to capture in RAW mode, then you need this plug-in. Now you can open and manipulate RAW files from within Photoshop.

RAW is the only way to truly realize the potential of digital.

(I have no affiliation w/ Adobe, other than being a certified Photoshop instructor)

Curt

« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2003, 05:32 pm »
I'm starting to shoot in RAW mode and save the raw files as masters.

It is easy to derive whatever you want from master file in PS then save your work under a new name in whatever format you need.

The raw master never changes. Much better JPG masters, just takes a little more HD & camera memory space.

In PS7 there is already an "file/open/ *.raw" option built-in. Is this what your refering to? Or do you mean an actual plug-in like a PS filter?

When I open a raw file in PS7 I need to type in the size (pix x pix) and a couple other items (header etc...) before opening.

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2003, 10:47 pm »
You can open a RAW file in Pshop7, but that's about it. With the plug in, you get a 'mini-app' that allows you to unleash the potential of the file....re-white balance, rez-up, etc....just like a stand alone program such as Nikon Capture. But the beauty is that you don't have to leave the Pshop environment, enhancing workflow.

Combined w/ Pshop7's new image browser....its digital photo heaven.

Now (except for batch processing) Capture, and PhotoMechanic are largely obsolete. Another $400 down the drain... :(

BTW: the plugin is available as a download from Adobe for $99.

Curt

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2003, 09:03 am »
I can do all this (I think; except JPG 2000) with the software that came with the Cannon G2, ZoomBrowser EX.

The Adobe plug-in is interesting because it integrates directly into PS7.01, very effivient and all one user interface. But Adobe says the plug-in will not be available in the future. For future releases of PS the plug-in's capabilities will be coded right into the PS program, for free.

I'm not a pro, shooting every day, so I will stick with Cannon's software (pretty good) until Adobe's PS update.

Thanks for pointing out this cool new plug-in. I can't wait for the PS update.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2003, 03:58 am »
After using this plug in for a few weeks.... its not as flexible as Nikon's Capture 3, nor do I think the quality of the images is quite as good, but still it is very useful. For day to day, I'll go with Adobe, but for the higher end stuff, I think I go back to Nikon.

Who knows, maybe Adobe will update it. Nikon Capture totally sucked before it was updated to v.3.

BTW: not real impressed w/ Bibble. (another 3rd party RAW converter)

djklmnop

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2003, 08:15 pm »
Try CaptureOne.  I think that's the best one out at this time.  I use the AdobeRaw as well... fortunately I don't shoot in RAW mode unless I am in the studio, so I haven't had the need to rely on a premium RAW converter.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2003, 02:09 pm »
Turns out the trick to using RAW Converter is to turn OFF the sharpening and smoothing functions. That's where the artifacts and noise were being generated. Sharpen in Pshop using Unsharp Mask.

navi

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2003, 02:43 pm »
does anyone know where i can get a demo version of adobe raw converter software?

i would prefer to try before i buy.