The latest FM tuner reviews are up

niklasthedolphin

Re: The latest FM tuner reviews are up
« Reply #40 on: 15 Oct 2008, 10:42 am »
You know,this thread isn't really contentious enough.
Can somebody email Peter Thomsen and see if he'd like to join in?

Dougs-Myself and many others appreciate your tuner opinions and info very much,keep 'em coming.
peter thomsen?  does he make an ice tuna?   :lol:

for good tuna fun, check out these sites:

http://fmtunerinfo.com/

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FMtuners/

doug s.

Modified

"dolph"
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 11:47 am by niklasthedolphin »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #41 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:19 pm »
It's funny that fmtunerinfo never included the 3001A in the shootout.
I think they were afraid it turn the world upside down.

By the way, did you guys see what equipment was used for these shootouts.
Not always recommendable, I would say.

"dolph"
there were many tunas not included in those shootouts, that i, and others, would have liked to have seen compared.  3001a included.  there was no "agenda" - your statement that anyone was "afraid" how the 3001a would perform is laughable.  it is well known that many audiophiles choose the 3001a as their #1 tuna.  from what i can tell about the t.i.c., there actually is one tuna that has "turned the world upside down".  and, who cares?  whatever is there to be afraid of?  or, are you insinuating that everyone is afraid that you - dolph - god of tunas and everything else audio - might actually be right, and the 3001a in fact is the tuna to end all tunas?  if the 3001a "turned the world (of tunas) upside down", do you think anyone would care?  everything would still be the same - some would agree w/the shootouts, others not.  and, besides, no one in tuna land over at the yahoo forum or the t.i.c. ever heard of you and your infatuation w/the tandberg tpt-3001a before you posted to this thread.  feel free to join the forum and bash my view that the 3001a is an excellent tuna, yust not quite up there w/the best - a couple others have done so, you can join the party!   :lol:

the constraints of the shootouts are also well-known - only one person, small room, wery good but not s.o.t.a. equipment, etc.  and, many folks, (most folks, actually), agree w/some "rankings", & disagree w/others.  myself included.  so what?  it's only a starting point, for those who may be interested in trying tunas.  (read the ricochets, for another person's take on the shootouts, and opinions of warious tuna sonics.) 

here's a few of my disagreements w/the shootouts.  the tandberg 3011a, which was tested, ranked 50/84.  that's likely pretty close to how i might rank it, based on my own experience w/it, but i'd likely rank it a bit lower, considering i found my so-so adcom gft-1a to outperform it in all areas.  but, here's a list of tunas that ranked lower in the shootouts, that i owned, & thought were all far better than the 3011a:
-sumo charlie, 53/84 (excellent sounding tuna, mebbe should be ranked ~30?)
-magnum dynalab ft-101a, 60/84 ( mediocre sound, but better than the 3011a - if the 3011a ranks 50, the ft101a ranks ~45.)
-yamaha t2, 62/84 (i found this tuna pretty-much a dead ringer for the 3001a, ironically, & it sounds a lot better than its ranking here.  mebbe should be ranked ~30?)
-revox b261, 63/84 (while i pretty-much agree w/the shootout ranking of the revox b760, {tho i'd rank it yust behind, instead of yust ahead of the mitsu da-f20}, i kept my b261 & sold my b760, cuz i couldn't tell 'em apart in any performance area, and there's yust something intangible about the b261 that i liked better than the b760.)
-denon tu-850, 66/84 (i'd rank this up there w/the da-f20, b760, & b261 - fantastic sounding tuna, imo.)
-technics st-9030, 72/84 (the one i had was modded, maybe this was why it sounded so excellent. ~20?)
-naim nat-01, 73/84 (i never had one in my room, but i compared one to an onix bwd-1/soap-2 in a shop, & it was at least as good; i bought the onix on close-out price.  the shop owner said careful listening would show the nat-01 as better than the onix. i say it should rank at least in the top 20.)

as always - ymmv,

doug s.

maxwalrath

« Reply #42 on: 15 Oct 2008, 06:28 pm »

as always - ymmv,

Wow, maybe if we paid attention to this statement, we could avoid further argument. :lol: :duh:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #43 on: 15 Oct 2008, 07:20 pm »
Indeed. Two blind men flailing away at each other with six inch antennae.

What the hell is the difference? He likes a long out of production tuner and makes ridiculous hyperbolic claims about it. You don't like it and feel you need to say so more than once.

Is that pretty much it? in a nutshell?

Great.........go ahead and kill each other. I'm a great believer in natural selection.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #44 on: 15 Oct 2008, 07:22 pm »
...Nothing better than a good arguement...  :thumb:

there is so something better than a good argument, nyah nyah nyah!   :lol:

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #45 on: 15 Oct 2008, 07:25 pm »
Indeed. Two blind men flailing away at each other with six inch antennae.

What the hell is the difference? He likes a long out of production tuner and makes ridiculous hyperbolic claims about it. You don't like it and feel you need to say so more than once.

Is that pretty much it? in a nutshell?

Great.........go ahead and kill each other. I'm a great believer in natural selection.
where'd i ever say i didn't like the 3001a?   :o  and, there's stuff worth dying for, mebbe, but fighting about whether or not a particular piece of audio gear is or is not the greatest, certainly isn't one of 'em...   :lol:

doug s.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #46 on: 15 Oct 2008, 07:28 pm »
Okay....I just caught wind of this traveling and all the past several days (and I see that my co-fac Brian/brj found it several ugly days ago).

In order....

niklastthedolphin/dolph - You seem to be a ripe, round prick (a demonic Beowulf, perhaps :P).  If you've already been tossed from Danish forums, I can readily see why.  One more ugly outburst and you'll be banned from the Critics Circle.  If you carry over your childishness elsewhere on AudioCircle, an ADMIN will deal with you there. One warning - that's all.

Oh yeah, and welcome to Audio Circle if no one has greeted you yet  :icon_lol:

Heltny - Don't bait the guy any more, please...but, thanks for informing us about his past.  Tho I don't want to condemn a man purely on history, it is often very instructive to know history to determine the future.   

doug s - Thanks for your restraint, overall.  You had lotsa' opportunities to get really ugly in the posts I've read, but you kept it in check nicely, while taking your jabs in return.  Really, I'm impressed with the considerable restraint shown (I now understand you better, and that you love arguments - you just chose topics previously that gave much cause for grief for management at AC - this one is more in line with forum function and sanctioning :wink:)

EDIT: macrojack/Tom - This one is heated enough....please don't add 150 proof vodka to the mix  :|

John / co-Fac / Critics Circle

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #47 on: 15 Oct 2008, 07:29 pm »
...Nothing better than a good arguement...  :thumb:

there is so something better than a good argument, nyah nyah nyah!   :lol:

doug s.

OK, make up sex after a good argument is better, so have at it boys.... :lol: :lol:

yuck, that's is yust gross! 

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #48 on: 15 Oct 2008, 07:32 pm »
...doug s - Thanks for your restraint, overall.  You had lotsa' opportunities to get really ugly in the posts I've read, but you kept it in check nicely, while taking your jabs in return.  Really, I'm impressed with the considerable restraint show (I now understand you better, and that you love arguments - you just chose topics previously that gave much cause for grief for management at AC - this one is more in line with forum function and sanctioning :wink:) ...

hey john, like i said before, there may be things worth fighting/dying about - love of a piece of audio gear ain't it!   8)

doug s.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #49 on: 15 Oct 2008, 07:35 pm »

hey john, like i said before, there may be things worth fighting/dying about - love of a piece of audio gear ain't it!   8)

doug s.

Hell yeah...that's why the 'other' topics are banned at AC  :wink:  John

niklasthedolphin

« Reply #50 on: 15 Oct 2008, 08:08 pm »
Okay....I just caught wind of this traveling and all the past several days (and I see that my co-fac Brian/brj found it several ugly days ago).

In order....

niklastthedolphin/dolph - You seem to be a ripe, round prick (a demonic Beowulf, perhaps :P).  If you've already been tossed from Danish forums, I can readily see why.  One more ugly outburst and you'll be banned from the Critics Circle.  If you carry over your childishness elsewhere on AudioCircle, an ADMIN will deal with you there. One warning - that's all.

Oh yeah, and welcome to Audio Circle if no one has greeted you yet  :icon_lol:

Heltny - Don't bait the guy any more, please...but, thanks for informing us about his past.  Tho I don't want to condemn a man purely on history, it is often very instructive to know history to determine the future.   

doug s - Thanks for your restraint, overall.  You had lotsa' opportunities to get really ugly in the posts I've read, but you kept it in check nicely, while taking your jabs in return.  Really, I'm impressed with the considerable restraint shown (I now understand you better, and that you love arguments - you just chose topics previously that gave much cause for grief for management at AC - this one is more in line with forum function and sanctioning :wink:)

EDIT: macrojack/Tom - This one is heated enough....please don't add 150 proof vodka to the mix  :|

Modified

"dolph"
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 11:46 am by niklasthedolphin »

maxwalrath

« Reply #51 on: 15 Oct 2008, 08:11 pm »
 :lol: :lol: He was probably talking about the way you were condescending to dougs, not about the danish forum.  Just a guess.  Later dude.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #52 on: 15 Oct 2008, 08:34 pm »
Sorry about that, John. And Doug.

Dolph, you are much too tenacious. Let it go. A tuner is a tuner and most of us don't even have anything worthwhile to receive anyway. If you want high quality reproduction, you would be wise to choose a better source. Get a turntable.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #53 on: 15 Oct 2008, 08:42 pm »
dolph,

That last post was a 'pass' from me....you're still at one warning.  The next shot over the bow from you, whoever it is directed at - will mean banning from Critics Circle.

There was more than enough ugly content in your prior posts in this topic to convict you....don't incriminate yourself further.

I don't get paid or much thanks for making decisions and curtain calls on membership status over the years.  You'd be very surprised to find my personality to be quite empathetic.....but, I can't tolerate jerk-ism in these circles. One lousy post means you're having a bad day - a second one is almost always indicative of a trend.  You've had 4.....were getting into the 99.99% of assuredness that you are a jerk/prick now :roll:

I don't need to read Danish to know more about you - your English has been quite instructive enough in that regard in this topic.

John

niklasthedolphin

« Reply #54 on: 15 Oct 2008, 08:56 pm »
dolph,

That last post was a 'pass' from me....you're still at one warning.  The next shot over the bow from you, whoever it is directed at - will mean banning from Critics Circle.

There was more than enough ugly content in your prior posts in this topic to convict you....don't incriminate yourself further.

I don't get paid or much thanks for making decisions and curtain calls on membership status over the years.  You'd be very surprised to find my personality to be quite empathetic.....but, I can't tolerate jerk-ism in these circles. One lousy post means you're having a bad day - a second one is almost always indicative of a trend.  You've had 4.....were getting into the 99.99% of assuredness that you are a jerk/prick now :roll:

I don't need to read Danish to know more about you - your English has been quite instructive enough in that regard in this topic.

John

Modified

"dolph"
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2008, 11:45 am by niklasthedolphin »

maxwalrath

« Reply #55 on: 15 Oct 2008, 09:31 pm »
Shall we try again?  To clear up the language barrier Nik, if there is any, a lot of what you said to dougs was quite rude, you basically called him an idiot for a number of stereo decisions, asked if he was deaf, insinuated he was biased and/or lying.  And, John's the boss here.  He interpreted your post the same way I did, and is letting you know what it looks like to him and what the consequences will be if the "tone" continues.  If you can't take blunt descriptions of behavior, you might have gone easier in your very sharp critique of dougs. 

The rules here are pretty simple, and the volunteers who moderate don't have to take any guff or pull any punches when it comes to moderating.  Let it go, if you treat others opinions with respect you will get respect in return from everyone here, including moderators. 

OK...no more rudeness........starting............... ..................NOW.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #56 on: 15 Oct 2008, 10:16 pm »
Sorry about that, John. And Doug.

Dolph, you are much too tenacious. Let it go. A tuner is a tuner and most of us don't even have anything worthwhile to receive anyway. If you want high quality reproduction, you would be wise to choose a better source. Get a turntable.
hey macrojack, i am sorry for you that you don't have any fm worthwhile receiving.  if you did, you might be surprised yust how much of a high quality reproduction you can get from fm thru a good tuna...   8)

best,

doug s.,
presently enjoying classical music from 90.9 weta, on my cheap (but still nice!) refurb'd sherwood s-3300...   :green:

Heltny

« Reply #57 on: 15 Oct 2008, 10:57 pm »
Thehcairguy said

Heltny (Brandnew)  :lol: Sais

You won´t hear anything from me - no more.

I just wanted to tell you all, what he is - or isn´t

Its a FIGHT just to debate with him - cause its ONLY him there knows anything.

But in the Danish forums, he was wrong again and again and again

example:

He thought his speakers went down to 20 hz because he could see the unit move when he played a 20 hz test tone (ONE 6,5" bas/midrange + tweeter)

He knew that his permentent connected computer did not send noise in his plants because he knew what it sent out, because he himself had built it  :green: :green: :green:

He connects the appliances from XLR balanced to unbalanced by using ground and signal + as a signal, and short-circuits signal - to earth :duh: :duh:

And it is just a small taste of what amuses us mht him at the Danish Forum

Thats all from me and my last words here - i promise

Have a nice day and take care  :wave: bye bye  :wave: :wave: :wave:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #58 on: 15 Oct 2008, 11:22 pm »
Doug, Don't rub it in. I spent almost $500 this summer having my Kenwood KT-917 completely refurbished at Stereo Surgeons knowing full well that the radio around here mostly sucks. I really don't need to tie that much money up for NPR but I guess it is all driven by some unconscious nostalgia. I really used to love my FM radio shows.

Retsel

« Reply #59 on: 15 Oct 2008, 11:35 pm »
I have a Tandberg 3001 that I sent to Soundsmith for refurbishing (Soundsmith said that the sound/noise ratio of this unit was the best that they ever measured).   I cannot comment on how it compares to other Tuners (or Tunas as Doug calls them) because I never compared it with others, but based on the various reviews that I have read, it is probably one of the top 10 tuners of all time.  I don't know if that is only for sound quality though.  I believe that the 3001's strongest point is its selectivity and rejectivity, and thus its ability to bring in weak stations or stations which are almost on top of each other.  This is particularly important for me because I live in a hilly area near a large city and signals are tough to come by. 

I am not sure how you can say anything anymore about how these tuners compare to each other since most of them are old by now and each unit of each manufacturer will age differently over time.  Such comparisons are only fair for new or nearly new tuners.  You both may be right about how you perceive sound quality for this very reason.  Then if you mod some of the tuners and then that throws in an additional uncertainty.  I could mod my 3001 to sound better too....

Retsel