Lampizator Amber 3, likely 4, mods

Infidel

Lampizator Amber 3, likely 4, mods
« on: 31 Jul 2023, 06:56 am »
I had ordered their Best300B DAC, but they didn't want to build it. They offered refurbished DACs which were worth more money, but I had already purchased over 1K in 300B tubes which I wouldn't be able to use, and generally I was unfamiliar with their lines. I had no idea which ones were R2R, and which were using their newer digital circuit. Ultimately as they had no desire to sell me the DAC I had paid for, I requested a refund. After some research, I purchased a used Amber 3. It was pretty interesting sounding. It had far more spatial information than my Yggdrasil or Spring 3 KTE, but tonality/timbre was off. I bypassed the coupling caps with ODAM, and CuTF V-Caps, and found a guy who makes 12AU7 to 6SN7 adapters. The one problem though is that the cover will not fit. You eather need to cut a hole for the 6SN7 to protude from, keep the 12AU7, or leave the cover off. Leaving the cover of is obviously dangerous and not recommended. The DAC now sounds amazing. A pretty simple upgrade that turned an interesting but colored DAC into the best I have heard, though I have not really heard some of the best.