Phil A

Re: 2012 Capitol Audio Fest
« Reply #80 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:49 pm »
NB - nice meeting you too - a few more exhibitors"

Audio Power Labs

Phil A

« Reply #81 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:52 pm »
GT Audio Works - very nice with two 8 inch subs - $2,995/pr.

Phil A

« Reply #82 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:52 pm »
Kanso Audio Furniture

dB Cooper

« Reply #83 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:52 pm »
Here are some pics from Audiofest
A nice planar/ribbon system at a very attractive price from GT Audio Works (sorry for the cruddy pic, Phil got a much better one) :

Classic Audio had the best sounding big horns IMHO:

This straight line arm was in the DC DIY room. I was told it is only $700:

This is the air pump for the air bearing linear tracking tonearm (I think... I had something that looked like this when I was in college, but that is another story) :

Oasis speakers were a trip and sounded great:

Most fun was the Conn pipe organ speaker in the vintage room driven by restored 30s & 40s Bogen electronics. Forgot I was listening to mono a few times.

Other random notes:
Daedalus: Very nice sound, very helpful, did good job with room setup, happy to play anything they or a listener brought, neutral and detailed, presentation compromised somewhat by the rather beat-up old laptop he was using which was probably on its last legs and had a bad habit of quitting mid-song.

Philharmonic/Van Alstine: The systems had beautiful highs and imaged well but sounded strained in the all-important midrange to me. Setup problems maybe? Bare bones presentation in a cavernous room. Couldn’t make a judgment about the electronics under the circumstances.

Polk: Some of the best sound I heard, and from a $1500/pr bookshelf no less. Didn’t hear the flagship floorstander. Saw a pic someone took where the bookshelves were gone so apparently the towers did get some play time. Polk is the Rodney Dangerfield of high end, they don’t get the respect they deserve.

VPI/Berning: Overly active presentation including directing the audience as to what sound qualities they were going to hear. I have been an audio nerd for 40 years and right or wrong will make my own judgments, thank you very much. Just play some g**d*** music please. The Surreal full range single driver speakers had serious colorations IMO and had little in the way of dynamics. If this is typical of single driver systems I don’t understand what people think is so great about them, although they were in a rather large room. The magic beans that they were moving on and off of them while I was there made no difference I could detect. Much better octave-to-octave balance and blending from any number of multi driver systems. My least favorite room. New “entry level” VPI table looked good though.

Woo Audio: Droolworthy room for a headphone geek such as myself. Lots of great “cans” to try out and very helpful staff. Senn 800’s and Audeze LCD2’s (both of which I heard for the first time) impressed me. Also showed an unusual little minimonitor-sized omni speaker (forget the name but want to find out more.

The Tidal equipment in the Audio Note room sounded fantastic, as it should considering you cam buy a nice home in some parts of the country for about the same money.

Phil A

« Reply #84 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:54 pm »
Triode Wire Labs Room

Phil A

« Reply #85 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:58 pm »

Phil A

« Reply #86 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:58 pm »
Near the end

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #87 on: 16 Jul 2012, 12:25 am »
Triode Wire Labs Room

Love those bookshelves.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #88 on: 16 Jul 2012, 12:29 am »
Love those bookshelves...

Lenehan Audio speakers... :wink:

dB Cooper

« Reply #89 on: 16 Jul 2012, 12:40 am »
I didnt get to a lot of the rooms, looking forward to more pics and impressions

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #90 on: 16 Jul 2012, 12:41 am »

Spoke with "boom box guy". He described how those speakers work.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #91 on: 16 Jul 2012, 12:59 am »
At 2012 AKFest (near Detroit) there was a vendor with small, gourd shaped single driver designs.  Was that Oasis Speakers?

SlushPuppy

« Reply #92 on: 16 Jul 2012, 01:14 am »
Thanks for all the pictures guys. Looks like it was a great event.

I think the biggest surprise was the price of those GT Audio Works loudspeakers. At first I thought it was a typo. That's a pretty sophisticated design for such a reasonable price.

Thanks again!

Slush

jhm731

« Reply #93 on: 16 Jul 2012, 01:24 am »
Somehow, I don't think this set up is very kid/pet friendly:

nature boy

« Reply #94 on: 16 Jul 2012, 01:33 am »
The Mapleshade room had the most wires per square foot, all elevated.  Thank goodness nobody tripped over anything.  An unusual near field listening experience which simply did not float my boat.  Picked up a few more CD's at 1/2 price.

NB

Somehow, I don't think this set up is very kid/pet friendly:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #95 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:51 am »
ok, s'more pics and impressions.  i liked the daedalus athena's, after i sat on the floor.  i think they need to be on short stands, or tilted back a bit.  lou, who seems to be a great guy, said they would have done better if you could have been 10'-12' away.  i agree.  excellent bass that was perfect for the room - energizing it w/o overloading it.  wery detailed even toned smooth sound.  good attack & decay.

scott doing his lonewolf impression on one of what are now his athena's  8)

the $2400 delivered speakers that ty of tyler audio was demo'ing seemed a good walue, if not the most refined sound.  they were full range and detailed enough.  i'd be curious about his other speakers, that are more audiophile-directed.

the sonist concerto 4's were ok, but i am not sure they were $5800 ok.  the demo'er was saying how well they could do w/the 5wpc glow audio amp he was using, and that might be true, but i bet they would have done better w/an amp of at least 10-15wpc.  and, i would be interested in hearing their more affordable offerings.  for $5800 (or for any price) i wanna be drawn in, and it wasn't happening.

the cathedral audio speakers may as well have stuck a single speaker in their room and played it mono; the set-up seemed so inappropriate for the room.  tone was ok, but that was all you could tell.

wintage scott amp driving the cathedral's

classic audio fared a little better, but they should have really demo'd only one pair of speakers in their room - the two pairs they had simply did not fit, imo, and the sound suffered for it.  i only got to hear the larger pair, and the others were in the direct sound path.

amp(s) driving the classic's

the paolo audio speakers had amazing warmth and bass for a single-driver full range speaker, but it was nothing i could live with - it was bloated & the detail got lost.  their round wood buttonless remote that you simply rotate one direction or the other for wolume control was a trip!

the living voice auditorium speakers were another speaker, that like the sonist, seemed ok, but did not really grab me and make me wanna listen.  i was actually really wanting to hear these, as i have read so much about them.  i am not exactly sure which model they were, but w/the "obx" outboard x-over, i know they're a min of ~$10k - serious coin.  maybe it was the room, or maybe it was the fact that none of the beautiful tubed electronics in the room were connected to the speaker, but it was simply uninwolving sound.

i really liked the little volti veretta's; the rep turned it down at one point, saying they were being max'd out w/the low power amp driving them (rated 94db/1w), and that the room was really too big for them.  odd, it was a small hotel room!?!  personally, i thought it was rocking; if a bit on the lean side.  they'd be perfect w/a pair of subs, me-thinks.  nice soundstaging, nice detail, and these did draw you in and make you wanna listen.

equipment driving the volti veretta's:

ridiculous power cord also shown in the volti room:

i listened to the smaller polks at the show; $1500/pair buys you a full-range big sound that will easily fill a large room.  not the most refined or detailed, but listenable; i bet these will sell to a lot of folks yust starting to get into serious audio, and they will wonder why anyone would ever be wanting to spend more.

electronics at polk:

special mit biwire cable for the polk monitors

deja vu audio had some big wintage-looking horns playing in one of their rooms; i wanted to listen more, but ran out of time.  i have no idea what they actually were; anyone?

for me, the best sound of the show was around the corner from the first volti room, in a slightly larger room - their bigger brothers the volti vittora's  w/a shape to remind you of klipsch offerings. (the owner said he's owned ~20 pairs of kilpschs before deciding to get into the speaker biz, and simply likes the style; that his speakers are not much like klipsch's at all.)  anyway, with or w/o the optional powered sub, these thing simply sounded phenomenal, in all aspects.  and the fact that they even sounded good at all was totally amazing, as they really need a big room, imo.  they were on the long wall of the ~13x18 (i am guessing) room, and they still had excellent soundstaging, even if you were not directly centered.  detail, tone, timbre, dynamics, extension - this speaker has it all.  i would have loved to hear them in the room that vpi/berning/surreal/dsa occupied.

(sub):

awesome verdier la platine magnetic platter-support-bearing turntable w/soundsmith strain gauge cartridge/phono stage:

unlike phil a, i thought the vpi/berning/surreal/dsa room had one of the best sounds of the show, but not as nice as the room-challenged volti vitorra's.  i do agree that the reps at the show were overdoing the salesmanship thing a bit, tho.  it actually struck me as funny, more than anything.  at one point, one of the listeners interrupted the rep and asked him in a mock-serious woice: "have you ever thought of getting into sales?"  everyone in the room cracked up!   :lol:

aj-in-fla's soundfield audio room also sounded great w/a minimalist set-up and no room treatments.  i'd love to hear his speakers in a bigger room.  detail, extension, timbre, soundstaging, were all wery nice.  maybe the tiniest bit of room overload, but not much.  we're talking 18" subs here, iirc correctly.  i wanted to hear the smaller sam1's, but they were not in the house...

equipment for the soundfield speakers:

more to come...

doug s.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #96 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:59 am »
Great pics and nice write-up Doug  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #97 on: 16 Jul 2012, 03:26 am »
i wanted to hear the smaller sam1's, but they were not in the house...

doug...There was a pair in the Swap Meet Audio room....see photo.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #98 on: 16 Jul 2012, 03:40 am »
ok, here's s'more...

one more room that i thought had great sound and drew me in was the lowther room w/its azurra field coil drivers in horns not unlike my oris 150's.  (mebbe that's why i like 'em?  :lol:)  actually, i think i like mine a little more - i think my system actually may have the edge in natural tone & detail; amazing considering those field coil drivers' price must dwarf the price of the fostex drivers in mine.  but, there is something really engaging about the sound from this type of system, imo.

electronics in the lowther room:

turntable in the lowther room:

ok, another room that, imo was close to best sound at show.  (if i were in the market for speakers, i would really be wanting to audition the volti vittora's, as i mentioned before, which i thought were best in show.  but i'd also wanna be listening more to aj's prewiously mentioned speakers, and the prewiously mentioned surreal's and lowthers.)  and these - the horning euphrodite zigma's, my 2nd fave room in the show.  they simply did everything right, imo.  neutral, dynamic, huge soundstage (no room treatment), full range.  (note the eight 8" woofers in the back of each speaker, four pairs facing each other.)  these simply sounded like music:

electronics & turntable in the horning speaker room:

if i were shopping for speakers, i might also have to consider something from lenahan audio.  the $3400/pair monitors in a/c's own charles/rollo's swapmeet audio room were stellar sounding.  soundstaging, detail, tone, extension - it was all there.

equipment in the swapmeet room:

the man himself, charles, having a zen moment.  :lol:

also wery cool were the home-brew crowd's stuff.  the conn organ speaker set-up was truly wild - i definitely want one.  it actually sounded ok, but it would be my full-time background music and party music machine, cuz it is simply so cool.  stuff i got pics of included some home brew e-stats made by dave berning some 40 years ago.  (dave and his equipment were at the show - great stuff and a great guy.  he does this at his house in beautiful downtown potomac md.)  other cool stuff was the prewiously mentioned home brew turntable w/bong attachment, and some simple full-range drivers mounted on plywood that sounded amazingly good driven by ~$500 worth of home brew tube electronics and a $200 turntable/cartridge set up.  which is another thing - winyl smoked digital completely.  every system where there were both, winyl was better; the systems that sounded good w/digital only were definitely handicapped, imo, when comparing them to a system that had winyl.  anyway, the dc diy audio crowd pics:

3000v exposed on these - do not touch!!!

diy deck w/aforementioned bong attachment for tonearm:

anyway, i had a good time, met some cool folks; sorry i didn't get more time to chat w/some and meet everyone i wanted to; and sorry that i missed stuff.  and this is a relatively small show.  i imagine a bigger show means a serious commitment - get up early, have everything mapped out, etc.  kudo's to those of you who do it!

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #99 on: 16 Jul 2012, 03:41 am »

doug...There was a pair in the Swap Meet Audio room....see photo.
i know; aj told me.  i was not able to get to that room until later today, and folks (myself included) were digging the lenahan's, so i did not ask charles to hook them up...

doug s.