Gangsta Beast Omegas

guillaume bougard

Gangsta Beast Omegas
« on: 31 Jul 2018, 02:35 pm »
"Gangsta" Beast Omega speakers

I am the happy owner of a pair of 7XRS's and Super 3i's. I use the 7XRS's with a truly magnificent 6wpc Swissonor amp at home (the Super 3i's with a small 2wpc Decware at my office) and was very happy with the sound (I had posted reviews back in the day). I listen to Reggae (which I also produce with Jamaican legends Sly & Robbie), Funk, Hip Hop, African music, etc…. These music are quite bottom heavy.  Whenever it is possible, I enjoy playing my music loud, much to the anger of my neighbor downstairs and my wife whose tolerance for "noise" seems to decrease with the years (go figure).

Anyway, I had exchanged over the years with Louis and one day, late last year or early this year, I decided to ask him for a pair of speakers that I named the Beast because I wanted more bass, more ability to handle loud music and something Louis would be interested in designing and building. Something a bit more "in your face" than my XRS's, but with the musicality that is one of Omega's trademarks.

Louis came back with a sketch which I approved and went to work.

Fast forward yesterday when I received the speakers at my office. I picked up my car and drove through the insane Paris traffic. I was THAT determined!!! It took me three hours of fighting massively deranged Parisian drivers to get back home, but less than 10 minutes to unpack and set up the speakers.

So what do we have here: Ebony box, a fast and punchy 10" and … shoot, I can't even remember! So I emailed Louis for help on this, and rather than paraphrasing the master, let's just quote him

"The top driver is the RS5 and the woofer is an Eminence 10-inch woofer with a neodymium magnet.
It’s 8 ohm and should be about 95dB
In my room I got a good 40 to 20kHz
The crossover is at 500 Hz
The RS5 is in its own sealed chamber.
I think the transition from the woofer to the RS5 is spot on and the dynamics are really good."
Also sprach Louis Chocco

The first record I played on these new speakers was my favorite record of all times (yesterday, today, I might have picked Kaya or Exodus): Uprising by Bob Marley & The Wailers. I could tell right away something was wrong. For a second, I had a doubt about the speakers, never having heard the mediocrity of the poor mastering job so blatantly. So, the first thing I found out is that those speakers reveal flaws mercilessly: I knew instantly the version of Uprising I played was the poorly mastered one.

Boy oh boy… Then I played The Dub Factor by Black Uhuru and Sly & Robbie and… KA-BOOM! Any doubt about the speakers disappeared immediately: I'm not going to use words used by audiophiles and equipment reviews, I think most of them are gibberish. I'll just lay it out for you in a word: everything was huge and nice and heavy and crisp and … The physical and mental (I wouldn't go as far as using "spiritual", but close) pleasure I felt was huge. I heard details and I wasn't drowned in a muffly, drony bass or had my ears pierced by shrill trebles.

I also played Dr. Dre's The Chronic and was blown away. I now call these speakers Beast Gangsta because they can handle Gangster Rap quite well: in a way, these speakers are taking the Omega Outlaw concept to another level!

I then spent a couple of hours going through some of my favorite: Earth, Wind & Fire, Michael Jackson, Mtume, Black Uhuru, Grace Jones, Third World, Aswad, U Roy, Gregory Isaacs, Bitty McLean, Sly & Robbie…. What a treat. I made a playlist if any of you guys are interested.

I am aware my music tastes are not those of the typical Omega Speakers forum member, but, hey… I didn’t listen in audiophile conditions: the window was opened due to the heatwave here in France, there was noise outside, I hadn't yet really placed the speakers in an optimal position, etc… But I immediately heard a significant improvement over the already fabulous 7's.

What's interesting is that I'm currently mixing a new album that I produced last month in Jamaica. I use Adam monitors for studio work. Lovely speakers. I always check my mixes on my stereo, in my car and on my iPhone just to see if they work in good to crappy conditions. One thing: I always trust the sound I get from my Omegas to adjust the mixes. What's incredible with those is that although they are clearly voiced to be musical and are not meant to be studio monitors, they are somehow faithful to the raw signal. I mean if I play a new song on, say, JBL stereo (not studio) speakers, I have no idea if the mix is OK or not. With my Omegas, I freaking know right away. I am even toying with the idea of using Omegas as studio monitors one day, just to try. Anyway, I really wonder how Louis achieves that feat.

Last, I noticed that these speakers require more power to deliver the same level of "noise" as the 7's. With the 7's, I need to turn the volume knob to about 11AM, while on the Beast Gangsta's I need to go all the way to 2PM. But that's not an issue at all (why should it be an issue if the amp doesn’t distort or behave funny at high volume?). Yet I'd be curious to swap this amp with another one I have: the Audio-GD Master-10 (yes: a non-tube amp, yes: made in China, double sacrilege, I know, I know, but believe me, a fantastic piece of equipment), which pumps 250wpc from the top of my head.

Louis was wonderful from start to finish and even sent me several pix, which he kindly authorized me to post.

So here is the Beast, also known as the Gangsta Beast:

syzygy

Re: Gangsta Beast Omegas
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2018, 04:45 pm »
Cool-o!

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2018, 02:45 am »
Hi guillaume,

Awesome review and a many thanks for the opportunity to build the "Gangsta" Beast speakers. They were a really fun project and it was great working with you too. I'm so happy you're enjoying them. Now I have to make a set for myself.

I couldn't have said it better about "taking the Omega Outlaw concept to another level!" The RS5's are a natural choice for the mids/highs. The transparency is excellent. The blend with the 10 just worked out so good. I really think I got the balance right. The amount of bass and keeping the speed was about as important as the transition from bass to mids.

I'll be posting more pictures of them and please post about the break in.

I'm also very interested in your playlist.

Thanks again,
Louis

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2018, 03:45 am »
Wow! Awesome speakers and great review. I run semi-custom Omega CAM's with Pass amplification. Most would say I have an audiophile setup. However, like you, I play what I enjoy. Yes, I listen to hip hop too. Obviously, I'm not playing at club levels, but the point is that Omegas are very versatile. You just have to get the right ones for your needs. Louis is very accommodating of that. :thumb:

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2018, 06:07 pm »
Awesome!! Congratulations! I've gotta have a pair. Also interested in the playlist  :green:

roscoe65

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2018, 06:34 pm »
Looks great Guilllaume!

I have a similar project on the back burner.  I don't want to share details at the moment, but it should spec out about the same as yours.  Both the low frequency driver I have and the RS5 can be run without any crossover.  I could cross over the drivers anywhere from 500hz to 4khz.

A couple of observations:

1.  There is something about a larger driver - especially in the mid and upper bass - that provides a sense of impact that smaller driver cannot.
2.  These larger drivers (10" and above) are efficient but generally like a little more power than smaller drivers rated at the same efficiency.  I own a couple different 12" drivers (Goodmans and Altec) that despite being rated at 99dB/w/m prefer to be driven with more power than a 45 or 2A3.

Well done sir.  This is the kind of cool project that makes all of this so much fun.

guillaume bougard

« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2018, 07:40 pm »
Here is the playlist I was talking about
I havent taken the time to sequence and obviously a lot of tracks could come in and replace some of those

all tracks are lossless of course

Name           Artist           Album
Night Nurse   Gregory Isaacs   Night Nurse
Everybody Hold Still   Grace Jones   Living My Life
Ways Of The Dub [12" B - Dub Version]   Aswad   New Chapter
Games   Bitty McLean   Movin' On
Sponji Reggae   Black Uhuru   Red
Sinsemilla   Black Uhuru   Sinsemilla
Boof 'n' Baff 'n' Biff   Black Uhuru   The Dub Factor
Slaughter   Black Uhuru   The Dub Factor
Billie Jean   Michael Jackson   Thriller
Juicy Fruit   Mtume   Best Of Mtume & Lucas
Nuthin' But A G Thang (feat. Snoop Dogg)   Dr. Dre   The Chronic
Let's Groove   Earth, Wind & Fire   Raise! HD
Satan Fall (Zion Gate)   Sly & Robbie   Dubrising 24 bit ALAC
Keep On Movin' (feat. Caron Wheeler)   Soul II Soul   Club Classics Volume One
Jah Glory   Third World   96˚ In The Shade
Half Me Get   U Roy   Serious Matter
Is This Love   Bob Marley   Kaya
Jamming Extended   Bob Marley   Exodus
One Love / People Get Ready (1984 12" Godwin Logie Mix)   Bob Marley   Legend

Jacobenv

Re: Gangsta Beast Omegas - crossover?
« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2018, 07:41 pm »
You said, "Both the low frequency driver I have and the RS5 can be run without any crossover.  I could cross over the drivers anywhere from 500hz to 4khz."  I'm still learning about full-range vs. speakers with crossovers.  Can you elaborate on your statement. Are both speakers essentially full-range?  Thanks.

jcake5

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2018, 11:05 pm »
Hi Guillaume,

Could you please share the dimensions of your speaker?

Kind regards,
Eric

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2018, 08:02 pm »
Here is the playlist I was talking about

Thanks!  When I get re-settled I be lookin for U Roy vinyl.  :drums:  :guitar: :dance:

Slam

« Reply #10 on: 7 Oct 2018, 10:59 pm »
That sounds awesome. I may need to get myself a pair too.  :thumb:

guillaume bougard

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2018, 03:33 pm »
Could you please share the dimensions of your speaker?

Eric: many apologies for not replying faster

Width 35 cm
depth 20 cm
height 95cm (without the spikes)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2018, 04:26 pm »
Nice work Louis.

charles