Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #220 on: 12 May 2009, 02:38 pm »
Brian Bromberg "Wood".

Sample tracks > HERE <.
Just plain, downright, awesome funky upright bass with lots of quality recording engineering behind it all.
Those Song Towers like the low frequencies from upright bass? Then they'll love these tracks.  aa :drool:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #221 on: 12 May 2009, 02:56 pm »
grenamc,

The 5 days in July I bought and listened to in a hurry and thought that this was a waste of $$$$.

Then I really listened to it a few weeks back and was really blown away with it.

Bob in St. Louis,

I will look in to Brian Bromberg and Wood...the Songs do very well with Upright Bass for sure...its really amazing what these 'skinny' little speakers do with
stringed bass...

Thanks for the suggestions!

All the best
Alex

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #222 on: 12 May 2009, 03:00 pm »
Good deal Alex.
If you like "Wood I", there is a "Wood II" as well.

Bob

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #223 on: 12 May 2009, 03:06 pm »
I am pretty sure it was mentioned in this thread, and I went looking for it so I could thank the person that suggested it.  Blue Rodeo "5 Days in July" is fantastic.  I am loving every minute of it.  The music is beautiful and the recording quality is excellent.  Also, loving Uncle Tupelo's "March 16-20, 1992" disc.  Thanks George! 

-Michael

My pleasure.

I have received lots of good music recommendations here on AC.

George

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #224 on: 12 May 2009, 03:11 pm »
The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions...Miles Davis

Very well recorded. Awesome sound quality. :D

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #225 on: 12 May 2009, 09:13 pm »
Minnesota Orchestra  SHOWCASE Eiji Oue   Strauss: Don Juan
HDCD
 Recorded by REFERENCE RECORDINGS,  San Francisco, CA

Great resolution! :thumb:  At one point I thought I could hear the conductor turn a page of the score. :o

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #226 on: 12 May 2009, 11:07 pm »
Minnesota Orchestra  SHOWCASE Eiji Oue   Strauss: Don Juan
HDCD
 Recorded by REFERENCE RECORDINGS,  San Francisco, CA

Great resolution! :thumb:  At one point I thought I could hear the conductor turn a page of the score. :o

Thanks for the tip.  In general, Reference Recordings have outstanding sonics on classical selections.  I use a highlights CD to demo all my speakers. 

Art_Chicago

« Reply #227 on: 13 May 2009, 02:44 am »
Brian Bromberg "Wood".

Sample tracks > HERE <.
Just plain, downright, awesome funky upright bass with lots of quality recording engineering behind it all.
Those Song Towers like the low frequencies from upright bass? Then they'll love these tracks.  aa :drool:

Thanks, Bob, just ordered it!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #228 on: 13 May 2009, 04:47 am »
Cool!  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #229 on: 1 Jun 2009, 02:52 am »
Thanks to all for the great recommendations!!, This post has moved to the second page and I could not let that happen. I've been real busy at work and life and have not had the pleasure of listening a lot in the past few weeks but should be back soon! I have been playing with my OPPO BD-83 player with 2 ch and its very nice to say the least.

Thanks for the Brian Bromberg suggestion and the Jack Johnson selection as well!!

All the best

Alex

Art_Chicago

« Reply #230 on: 3 Jun 2009, 02:51 am »
Hi,

Is this thread about the best recordings or what music you like?  Lets just list really top notch cd's.

Btw I bought Robert Plant/Alison Krauss 'Raising Sand" cd and it is well recorded.  Garbage in garbage out really describes the sound of Salk speakers when listening to poorly recorded music.

Regards

Rod

You should hear it in 24/96...YUMMY!!

George

Guys,
I downloaded 24/96 file from HDtracks, but there is a hiss that does not let me enjoy the music. I contacted the HDtracks, but they said that the hiss is there because the producer wanted so. They  also sent the link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/raising-sand-hiss-purpose-285419/
No any other files  from the website  "hiss" like this one. Try track 3, it is unbearable. I have no idea why it is there.
I am so pissed-- it was my first hi rez file, 16 bucks well spent! It is a shame because at least 3 tracks are in "the best" category.

Sorry, I mean no offence, just venting... :smoke:

Art_Chicago

« Reply #231 on: 10 Jun 2009, 06:24 pm »
Brian Bromberg "Wood".

Sample tracks > HERE <.

Bob, everything you said here is true, IMO. Thanks again.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #232 on: 10 Jun 2009, 07:19 pm »
Great!!

Now I have to spend some more hard earned dollars!! This selection looks really good!

All the best
Alex

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #233 on: 11 Jun 2009, 12:52 am »
Alex, have I steered you wrong yet?  :wink:

I promise the Bromberg discs will satisfy the most discriminating of tastes.

Bob

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #234 on: 17 Jun 2009, 05:05 pm »
Hey Bob!

No you have not, lots of good recomendations etc!

Please keep them coming.

I have been really busy the last several weeks with all kinds if life issues, work etc...

I as many of us have too many irons in the fire!!

I look forward to some more serious listening!!

Alex

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #235 on: 17 Jun 2009, 07:34 pm »
Joss Stone "The Soul Sessions"  aa

She's a young gal with a voice beyond her years. Kinda bluesy mixed with the slightest touch of a modern young woman. Old school blended very well with a new young twist. Very classy, very well performed and good sound quality for a modern vocal performed by someone her age. She's got a couple other releases, but they (unfortunately) depart from the blusey genre and border on the modern day definition of R&B.  :(
The song "Dirty Man" is one I'll play for a "newbee" to music to hear what real quality vocals sound like. Although, most veteran audio guys that have come to my house have heard this tune as well. A great demo.
If the song "Some Kind Of Wonderful" doesn't get your head boppin', then you must be dead. Good bass thump.

Overall, one of my favorite albums, not just for great sound quality, but for jammin' as well.

SAMPLES from Amazon

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #236 on: 21 Jun 2009, 03:01 pm »
Ok I am waiting for Bromberg to arrive!!

On another note I was wondering on if there are any source for some well recorded / engineered old stuff from the 60's and 70's.

What I am looking for is some of the older bands / groups that I would love to hear remastered without all that analog hiss etc...

I know it may not be the audiophile type of jazz etc...but the old funstuff we listened to grwoing up:

Like:  Beatles, Rolling Stones, Turtles, Procul Harem, and on and on and on....

I recently got the remastered set of Rolling Stones " Hot Rocks"...some of the songs were hot and some were terrible.

Again looking for quality and really good re-mastering etc....

Alex
 :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

fishinbob

« Reply #238 on: 21 Jun 2009, 04:15 pm »
Typed in remastered at the big river and see some Beatles re-masters are due out Sep 9th. :D
Ok I am waiting for Bromberg to arrive!!

On another note I was wondering on if there are any source for some well recorded / engineered old stuff from the 60's and 70's.

What I am looking for is some of the older bands / groups that I would love to hear remastered without all that analog hiss etc...

I know it may not be the audiophile type of jazz etc...but the old funstuff we listened to grwoing up:

Like:  Beatles, Rolling Stones, Turtles, Procul Harem, and on and on and on....

I recently got the remastered set of Rolling Stones " Hot Rocks"...some of the songs were hot and some were terrible.

Again looking for quality and really good re-mastering etc....

Alex
 :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #239 on: 22 Jun 2009, 12:21 am »
lonewolfny42,

Thanks I just ordered the three Eltons!

I also see that most of the Beatles stuff is going to be remastered and out on Sept 9th!!

Cool....Looks like this collection will get re-juvenated!! yahoo!!

Re-live those crazy old days!!

I turn 60 years young this tuesday!!

All the best and many, ,many thanks for those goodies u shared with me!!

All the best
Alex aa