Recomendations for first turntable

bally

• http://www.kirrabilli.co.nz
« on: 7 Jan 2003, 05:40 am »
G,day im finally looking at getting back into vinyl after about twenty years and was looking for some advice from you guys.
My choice in New Zealand is mainly Linn,Project or Rega and with a budget of around $2000NZ(approx $1000US) I need to include a phono amp as my Perreaux hasnt the phono option.
The reason for the turntable is a phone call from my parents asking me what i want to do with the 300 odd albums they have stored.I thought they were thrown out when they moved years ago.Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Bally

sceptic

« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2003, 09:36 am »
Buy a Rega

duff138

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2003, 02:41 pm »
A Rega is definitely a good choice.  If you can order from the U.K. you can probably get the Rega 3 for about $500 USD, get a nice Rega cartridge for another $200, then look for a phono amp, plently in the $300 range.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2003, 02:45 pm »
Bally,

Certainly Rega is a great recommendation, also Music Hall is a good consideration but is restrictive in upgradeability but argueably a slightly better value.  You might need to determine whether your a buy it once and enjoy type of person or whether you are more of a fretter of whether you are getting the most of it like many of us and thus the constant upgradetitis.  In this case, Rega is a no-brainer.

jcoat007

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2003, 04:16 pm »
I have had the Music Hall MMF-5 and MMF-7.  Josh is correct with regard to upgrades.  The only thing that can be upgraded on the MMf-5 is the cartridge and on the MMF-7 the cartridge and interconnect.  

If you aren't a huge tweaker the MMF is a possibility.  Otherwise the REGA is a no brainer.  By the way, the Rega and Music Hall tables are made in the same factory.  

As far as a modestly priced phono pre-amp I can highly recommend the Gram Amp 2 SE.  The price "New" is $300USD.  I checked the Graham Slee website and there is a distributor in Australia.  

I just saw one on audiogon for $225USD.  Here's a link

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatran&1047141325

Here's a Rega P3 with an Arum Beta cartridge for $675 USD.  

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?anlgtabl&1046375999

Good luck.  Beware - Vinyl is addictive.  

Steve

bally

• http://www.kirrabilli.co.nz
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2003, 05:51 pm »
Thanks guys hadnt really thought of MMF.Will have to look into it.Im pretty sure that once i get back into it i will become addicted and want to upgrade but hopefully that will be a bit down the track.Im just hoping some of these records are still intact.
Cheers
Bally

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2003, 05:56 pm »
Hey Rega owners,

I've yet to get mine and I can't seen to find out whether hte P3 has a threaded record pin or not.  I am wondering whether the teres clamp will work with the P3 table.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2003, 06:30 pm »
Josh, did you have the Teres in the past?  If so, what did you think of it?

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2003, 06:41 pm »
I never had a Teres, I had a MMF-5 which I sold for a Rega P3 so I could tweak out my vinyl rig in prep for maybe going the Teres route later (probably next year).

Beezer

No thread
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2003, 06:45 pm »
Josh,

The Planar 3 does not have a threaded pin.

Beez

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2003, 07:41 pm »
spindle was the word I was looking for.  Thanks beezer, oh well I guess I'll get a SOTA reflex clamp then.

PL gear head

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2003, 02:30 pm »
Geez all you guys are like a broken record ( pun intended). Rega certainly isn't the only acceptable TT in the $1,000 price range. May I suggest a Linn Basik? Or how about a used Sota Sapphire or a Heybrook TT2 or an Ariston RD11? All of these are very nice vinyl spinners. Hell even a tweaked Thorens 124 will do a fine job. Don't limit yourself to a Rega 3 or a MMF-5 or 7.

Mike

BWentler

• In Christ, we are all saved!
RE: Starting turntable
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2003, 04:05 pm »
What about a VPI HW Jr, AudioQuest PT-9 or Rega tonearm and a Grado Platium Reference cartridge!

1) The VPI table can be upgraded in stages up the the HW 19, mk4 and the there is also an arm board and the SAMA (Stand Alone Motor Assembly) that can be upgraded as time/funds allow.

2) The PT-9 arm can be greatly improved with a Straight Wire Maestro II tonearm cable for about $250, also at a later date.

3) As for the cartridge, well there is the Grado Sonta Reference and others.

This table can improve as you improve your system.  Wise investment and it's American made with great support/resell value.

My 2 penneys

Beezer

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2003, 04:15 pm »
PL,  We recommend what we think we know.  Thanks for bringing up the other options.  Perhaps you could talk a bit about the strengths, weaknesses, costs of each.

Thanks,
Beez

Rocket

turntable recommendation
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2003, 11:34 pm »
hello bally,

just remember that the nz currency is a lot lower than the us dollar.  i should know because i live in au and ours is weak compared to the us and nz dollar is unfortunately weaker than ours.

vpi is going to be a little out of your range.  rega p3, thorens, dual, possibly a linn (not sure on pricing) or you could try a music hall mmf 7.

i don't think that music hall have any dealers in nz i know they don't have any in australia.  you could contact response audio (i think that is there name) they have forum here anyway.  underwoodwally at audiogon also sells music hall at good prices.

if you don't want to bother and just buy local i recommend the p3 and also i think rega make a phono stage as well.

anyway good luck.

regards

rod

Psychicanimal

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2003, 12:02 am »
There is no  :nono:  single belt drive unit in your price range that will outperform a Technics SL-1200MKII.  When modified, it is a true high end deck.  There is a tonearm fluid damper modification available from www.kabusa.com, as well as a Stanton Groovemaster II that has been modified by installing a nude Stereohedron stylus.  I am currently evaluating a Beta release of the modded Groovemaster II in my modded 1200.  There is a review of the KABUSA tonearm fluid damper in the Audiogon reviews (accessories section) by member Zaikesman.

A "glass and particle board" TT will never give the speed and rotational stability (excessive wow & flutter) needed to correctly reproduce the music's PRAT and minute details.  If rigged w/ a moving coil cartridge there will be a huge soundstage, but there will be a lot of music missing... :(

akshobhyavajra

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2003, 05:05 pm »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
There is no  :nono:  single belt drive unit in your price range that will outperform a Technics SL-1200MKII.  When modified, it is a true high end deck.

Psychicanimal,

I am just curious - what do you consider a true high end deck and what true high end deck (Clearaudio, Immedia, Nottingham, Rega, Simon Yorke, SME, VPI, Walker Audio, et al.) have you owned?  This question is not to engage in an altercation, but to make a determination what members / individuals consider to be high end.

For example - I've owned Duals, Thorens, Technics, Sony, Project and Nottingham tables (among others), but have not owned what I consider to be a true high end table - which for me would start at around $5k for table and arm only.  This is my perspective only - and of course there will certainy be different opinions on the subject.  The only true high end table I have ever auditioned for any length of time has been a German Amazon ($6K), but I honestly could not make too many general statements based on my very limited experience.  In the past 30 years or so I've only owned about 11 (eleven) tables - a rather feeble amount to base any sort of sweeping statement on.

Thus, I am curious about your personal experience of true high end ownership as well as the associated definition.  Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

~Michael~

PS Ref the actual topic - though I've nver owned either, both Rega 2/3s and Music Hall tables do seem to be quite popular and generally recommended tables.  I've had Thorens and Project 6.1, both of which were in that price range, though I would not recommend the Project 6.1- kind of pedestrian for my personal taste...