Adding a stepped attenuator or volume pot to Bugle?

cactusfriend

Adding a stepped attenuator or volume pot to Bugle?
« on: 11 Mar 2011, 07:17 pm »
I'm about to build a Bugle but have a somewhat unique setup as I've just moved across the country and had to leave some things behind.

Long story short; I'll be hooking the my record player through the Bugle to a pair of active studio monitors, either through a digital mixer recording interface or not.  I'd like to not have to use the digital mixer to avoid A>D>A conversion, and my monitors have RCA inputs on them, after all.  However, adjusting the volume on the back of each monitor each time I'd like to listen to a record seems like a bad idea.

Has anyone had any success adding a stereo adjustable attenuator of any sort?  How would I start going about doing this?  If it were stepped, I think it'd only have to be a few steps, since I could make a one-time adjustment on the monitors to fine-tune.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Adding a stepped attenuator or volume pot to Bugle?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2011, 02:10 pm »
How long will the interconnects from the Bugle to the active monitors be?
Which power supply will the Bugle have?
If the interconnects are short, you can add a passive control at the Bugle.
If the interconnects are long, you may be able to add a control and a buffer stage at the Bugle.

poty

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2011, 02:34 pm »
The Bugle has an usual line output then in my opninon you can use any passive or active volume control you like. Here at the forum have already been numerous cases to use such configs:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87756.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91237.0
Also (I think) the "right" idea could be obtained from the Bugle Pro schematic.

cactusfriend

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2011, 05:01 pm »
Hm, the interconnects shouldn't be very long at all.  I'll take a look at the Bugle Pro schematics (wasn't aware that the Pro existed/had existed when I ordered the PCB).

Thanks!