Any interest in Von Schweikert speakers?

Woodshed

Re: Any interest in Von Schweikert speakers?
« Reply #60 on: 9 Sep 2008, 08:11 pm »
Oh yeah, I forgot.

SWEEEET SYSTEM, Woodshed!!!

I'm green with envy.  :thumb:

Thanks! Took me a long time to build. :)

Sandman2

« Reply #61 on: 10 Sep 2008, 02:49 am »
My system:

Basis 2500, Vector 4, Shelter 901

G

JakeJ

« Reply #62 on: 10 Sep 2008, 11:58 am »
Wow, sure is some humbling company in this thread, but it is nice to see how others have integrated their VSA speakers into their listening rooms! Muchas Gracias to all for sharing and providing excellent eye candy.

Ummm...what's all this about footers between the M/T and bass modules?!?  :scratch: Mine have a clear, square rubber foot mounted on the top of the bass cabinets just inside the four corners of the wood frame that receives the rectangle of wood on the bottom of the M/T cab. When I first got my VSA speaks I just threw them up as I knew I would be playing with position for a while. Then I installed the provided spikes but found there was a midrange glare and I read a review where the reviewer had the same problem and his solution worked well for me. Reference: http://www.ultraaudio.com/equipment/von_schweikert_vr4_geniii_hse.htm

So do y'all couple or de-couple the entire system from the floor? Do you also de-couple the M/T module from the bass module? If it has been deemed necessary to "double de-couple" then perhaps this is why I was unable to get that elusive wall-to-wall soundstage/imaging to occur. I really can't spike in my new place as it is floored with Forbo Marmoleum and at $35 sq/yd I am extremely resistant to spike through this material. However if there is something better than Vibrapods that can handle the weight I'm all ears!

On a side note, once I had a funny buzzing start up from them one day which was isolated to the left speaker. It went away if I removed the M/T module from the bass module. I found one of the screws in the strips of wood on the alignment frame on the bass unit was loose and had contact with the M/T alignment rectangle causing the buzz. Simply tightening the screws fixed it. But after that I always made sure the M/T unit is properly place on the bass unit to eliminate any contact other than the footers. This seemed to help the image focus quite a bit.

Any help in getting my VR4G3HSE's to sound like they should would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

Jake

JackD201

« Reply #63 on: 10 Sep 2008, 02:20 pm »
With my HSEs I found the sound dark with the Levinson 332 (no surprise there with that amp :lol:) , so I traded in my Oval 9s for the Silvers. This helped a little bit but not much. At one point I wanted to remove all the cloth  :o  I had intentions of upgrading eventually so the thought of trying to sell a raped HSE held me back,

I tried using 8 No.5 Vibrapods under each bass module as the review suggested but for some reason the HSEs would not stay level no matter how I distributed the pods. To this day I wonder how the reviewer managed to do it. Seeing as the inner sides of the M/Ts looked heavier I just stuck with the rubber squares. HSE's had supplied spikes for the M/T's? Hmmmm. I could have sworn I hadn't been drinking when I uncrated them :lol:

When comparing the HSE side by side with the SR Mk.1 it was apparent that improvements in soundstage width was something Albert engineered into SR. It did come at a decrease in solidity of the "ball of sound" which made and still makes the HSE one of a kind.

I'll go look for my notes Jake. I hope I can find something that might help you :)

Sandman2

« Reply #64 on: 10 Sep 2008, 07:21 pm »
I tried different combinations of Vibrapods, spikes and cones and ended up using the stock rubber footers under the M/T and 6 #5 Vibrapods under each bass module. I didn't check for level, but I don't think it was probably too far off of level. I didn't like perching the M/T's on anything that made them prone to tipping like small cones. Using Audio Points as footers, tightened up the bass too much for my taste in my room but setting the speakers up on the hard rubber feet or directly on the wood floors caused too much LF interraction with the room. Using the Vibrapods yeilded the best sound in my room. The speakers also sounded best a few feet out from the rear wall and spread farther apart than the speakers they replaced. I also preferred them almost pointing straight out into the room as opposed to angling them towards the listening area. My room is very reflective, all hard bare surfaces and needed a throw rug to help out. It still needs more acoustic modifications to tame reflections. The ambience speaker in the rear is set at a very low level. As I previously mentioned I bi-wire in shotgun configuration with Acoustic Zen cables, but Oval 9's worked nicely too.

G

G

Woodshed

« Reply #65 on: 10 Sep 2008, 07:30 pm »
I also use the stock square rubber feet for the M/T module (havent tried anything else). I am using the stock spikes for the bass module.

What do you guys typically set the ambiance tweeter to? There is a big old absorber panel directly behind my mains. I always had them pretty low before putting them in my dedicated room. I thought they muddied the imaging up a bit. In my theater I have them turned completely off because of the panel directly behind it.

What is the general thinking on the ambience tweeter? What are your opinions?

Thanks

WGH

« Reply #66 on: 10 Sep 2008, 09:27 pm »

Thanks

I like it, it is one of the reasons I bought the VR2's. In my room the speakers image better with the ambiance tweeter on, music has more volume and the tonality is more correct. Currently they are both set to 3. I have changed the direction they radiate so more of the highs go up.

Wayne

Sandman2

« Reply #67 on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:40 am »
An interesting 3 part interview of Albert is available on dagogo.com Part 3 isn't up yet.

Albert has some interesting comments on cables which fit into this conversation as well.

http://www.dagogo.com/ISSUE/Sep2008.html

G

Delacroix

« Reply #68 on: 11 Sep 2008, 03:10 am »
I am also pleased to say that I have discussed this idea for a circle with Albert and he will engage directly if we can get the circle approved. He's happy to discuss designs, tweaks, compatibility etc directly with us in this forum. So, if you haven't voted, please do.

JackD201

« Reply #69 on: 11 Sep 2008, 03:17 am »

http://www.dagogo.com/ISSUE/Sep2008.html

G

Reading the interview makes me wish I had paid more attention to my Physics professors  :duh:  :lol:

Dante

« Reply #70 on: 11 Sep 2008, 10:03 am »
Awesome stuff displayed here. I have a more modest setup that I built around my VR4 JRs -

I have moved on to vintage gear from the original modern table that I used, but have kept the Jrs -

The Jrs are keepers, IMHO.  :thumb:

randybarba

« Reply #71 on: 11 Sep 2008, 01:20 pm »
Hi Guys,

I just joined and voted. I have vr4jr's similar to Dante's. I'm driving them with a McIntosh MC 2102. I'm very happy with them especially after I treated my room with DIY pressure traps (the blue panels on the wall). I agree with Dante that they are keepers unless JackD comes up with an irresistible deal on the Anniversary Edition  :lol: :lol: :lol: Um, sorry for the poor picture quality though :oops:.

mcullinan

« Reply #72 on: 11 Sep 2008, 01:36 pm »
Hi Guys,

I just joined and voted. I have vr4jr's similar to Dante's. I'm driving them with a McIntosh MC 2102. I'm very happy with them especially after I treated my room with DIY pressure traps (the blue panels on the wall). I agree with Dante that they are keepers unless JackD comes up with an irresistible deal on the Anniversary Edition  :lol: :lol: :lol: Um, sorry for the poor picture quality though :oops:.

A room only an audiophile could love. My wife on the other hand would shank me, then redecorate. lol.
Mike

keith

« Reply #73 on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:16 pm »
Randy,
Great move with the elevated base for the VR4jr.   :thumb:   :thumb:

chadh

« Reply #74 on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:22 pm »
Hi Guys,

A room only an audiophile could love. My wife on the other hand would shank me, then redecorate. lol.
Mike

I'm sitting here on the University of Michigan campus thinking there are about 50,000 of my closest neighbors who would feel right at home with a decor like that. 

Chad

Delacroix

« Reply #75 on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:23 pm »
Folks -- just a note, if quoting a piece with a picture, you might edit the picture out and trim the quote to reduce the size and make scrolling easier for all.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #76 on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:39 pm »
Mike

I'm sitting here on the University of Michigan campus thinking there are about 50,000 of my closest neighbors who would feel right at home with a decor like that. 

Chad
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
doug s.,
bgs; u of mich, 1978

JakeJ

« Reply #77 on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:49 pm »
With my HSEs I found the sound dark with the Levinson 332 (no surprise there with that amp :lol:) , so I traded in my Oval 9s for the Silvers. This helped a little bit but not much. At one point I wanted to remove all the cloth  :o  I had intentions of upgrading eventually so the thought of trying to sell a raped HSE held me back,

I tried using 8 No.5 Vibrapods under each bass module as the review suggested but for some reason the HSEs would not stay level no matter how I distributed the pods. To this day I wonder how the reviewer managed to do it. Seeing as the inner sides of the M/Ts looked heavier I just stuck with the rubber squares. HSE's had supplied spikes for the M/T's? Hmmmm. I could have sworn I hadn't been drinking when I uncrated them :lol:

When comparing the HSE side by side with the SR Mk.1 it was apparent that improvements in soundstage width was something Albert engineered into SR. It did come at a decrease in solidity of the "ball of sound" which made and still makes the HSE one of a kind.

I'll go look for my notes Jake. I hope I can find something that might help you :)

Hi JackD201.

Thank you, I certainly appreciate any help I can get with extracting every bit of performance available from the VR4G3HSE's. I'm still a long way from giving up on them. Getting the Quads was simply an opportunity of timing and lust. They are very good but I think I still like the "house sound" of Martin Logan e'stats.

A bit of history: I spent the better part of a year researching dynamic speakers before settling on the HSE. In 1998 I bought a new system consisting of an Adcom GCD-750 CD player, a Classe CAP-150, and a pair of Martin Logan Aerius i speaks, this was the beginning of my current foray into the never-ending chase for audio nirvana. Before that I spent the better part of 20 years with one rig made up of a Denon DP-30 'table w/ an Adcom Crosscoil MC cart, a Sony Pro Walkman WM6C-Pro, and a Kenwood KT-917 tuner, feeding a Precision Fidelity C-7 into an Amber Series 70 amp, feeding a pair of Infinity Infinitesimal speakers. I've changed out more gear in the last three years than in the previous twenty-five. It sure has been fun but I'd like to get it synergized and slow down the equipment revolving door to on or two pieces in a two to three year period. The thought of selling EVERYTHING and taking the pile of cash to a good brick-n-mortar store and buy a complete system that has it's synergy already captured. The best dealers I've met know their equipment well enough to do this.  :thumb:

I think I have caused you some confusion on the subject of feet and spikes. My HSE's are standard as were yours. They have spikes to place the whole speaker on and clear rubber (silicone?) feet permanently mounted on the top of the bass module to receive the M/T module. I was referring to other posts where people have used Sorbothane or other non-stock visco-elastic devices between M/T and bass modules. I have read that someone placed spikes between M/T and bass units. I was asking for those who have tried alternative methods to elaborate on what they have tried and what the results were. Just looking for ways to allow the speaker to shine to the level it is reputed to have.

Also when I placed my HSE's on Vibrapods and then all on a 2 1/2" slab of Italian marble (on carpeted floor) I never had an problem with the speakers being out of level or off plumb.

What do you guys typically set the ambiance tweeter to? There is a big old absorber panel directly behind my mains. I always had them pretty low before putting them in my dedicated room. I thought they muddied the imaging up a bit. In my theater I have them turned completely off because of the panel directly behind it.

Thanks

My experience with the ambiance tweeter is that it seemed to have a complimentary effect in my previous room but in my new house it didn't seem to have any. Seems to be very room dependant IME.

JackD201

« Reply #78 on: 11 Sep 2008, 03:31 pm »
Mike

Randy is a successful urologist and his wife a successful engineer/contractor. Together they built this room and a beautiful,elegant house around it. Now THAT is what I call one COOOOOOOL marriage! :D

I do believe Doc won the music room but the wifey won decor rights for the rest of the house :twisted:  Good trade Doc! Good Trade! :D

JackD201

« Reply #79 on: 11 Sep 2008, 04:05 pm »
Hi Jake,

The journey IS what matters and if I may say so yours is an inspiring one AND no, don't part with those vintage gems! I think I might have burned out if Keith and I hadn't become dealers. I just love setting up systems. Now I get to do it all the time. :) 

I couldn't find anything in my notes about soundstage width problems with the HSE. I do remember however that they were placed fairly close to the side walls. My side walls are false walls I built slanting away from the listening position to send direct first reflections behind me where soft traps caught the 2nd reflections. Perhaps movable broadband panels set to the side might help recapture some of the radiated energy in your case. You could do the experiment with a couple of pieces of plywood just to check the theory. It should cost next to nothing. If it works then maybe you can build or buy real panels.

My experience with the dome ambience tweeters is that I can manipulate soundstage depth forward and back. Dialing up the Ambience drivers move the center plane forward. When space is a major issue, setting up speakers closer to the rear walls (less than 2 feet) I noticed that the top left and right corners of the front wall can be filled with room tone with some judicious adjustments but only when the rear wall is smooth and undamped. In such scenarios I've found that soundstage depth can be added by moving the loudspeakers farther apart and toeing them in. Toeing in this aggressively however sometimes tilts the balance up. I then compensate by raising the front spikes. Call me nuts but I absolutely love the process. It's like a game. I'm the player and the owner is the coach. He tells me how he wants it to play out and I try to execute. When we get it right it feels like a touchdown :)

The 9's are just too easy :lol: All those controls are a godsend not to mention the casters that let you adjust speaker positions with one finger. The Ribbon Ambience drivers somehow can be adjusted for corner fill without affecting overall tonal balance very much. I'll ask Albert why.

cheers!

Jack