Ellipticor III in progress

nickd

Ellipticor III in progress
« on: 5 Aug 2019, 08:25 pm »
Started the Ellipticor III a few days ago. I’ve been gathering parts for a few weeks. The parts are expensive so it took a while to get them all here. crossover parts and dampening material from Jantzen, Drivers are Ellipticor from ScanSpeak. Peter Noerbaek is creating enclosure’s from 1” MDF, quarter sawn oak and their in house “Lava” red on black custom color with a hard gloss clear coat.

Left off the Facets from the sloped front baffle for veneer finish and because I need removable grills.
The subwoofers will be modified for Rythmik 12 in a 1.8 cubic foot sealed box with a PEQ 370 amp per side.

This is a Troles Gravesen design and I am a fan of his work. He is kind and helpful with his kits and understands customizing to personal taste is not an insult to his wonderful design work.

Peter Noerbaek is also amazing to work with and has helped me with several cabinets that are well above my skill level and tooling. His shop produces beautiful speakers of all types and sizes.

There is something to be said about Danish craftsmanship. It is unique and i am impressed by both of their talents continually.

nickd

Re: Ellipticor III in progress
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2019, 08:31 pm »
More

pics
Mounting hole for PEQ370 amp.

Pyramid cabinets with quarter sawn oak veneer. Freshly sanded.

Lava finish with 1st clear application.

gab

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2019, 10:26 pm »
 :thumb:

keep em coming!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2019, 01:25 am »
Looks great! The drivers are intriguing!

Best,
Anand

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2019, 01:18 pm »
Wonderful work. Look great.

charles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2019, 02:43 pm »
I’ve always been curious how his designs sound.  Your build looks great!

Norman Tracy

« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2019, 03:18 pm »
 8)

The emoticon has his dark glasses on to cover the eyes green with envy.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2019, 05:31 pm »
 :drool: (unabashedly drooling)

Please, do post more pics as they become available.

nickd

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2019, 08:12 pm »
I’ve always been curious how his designs sound.  Your build looks great!
Thanks Tyson,
I will write up a review when I get them up and running. You and I share similar loudspeaker taste and I have built and owned several of Danny Richie’s designs. Still have 3 pair on hand from the AV123 years.

I picked these because I have fond memories of Thiel CS2 loudspeakers and have been impressed by 1st order Dynaudio designs like the Consequence. I thought the new ScanSpeak Ellipticor drivers would make a great 1st order crossover project.

nickd

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2019, 11:21 pm »

Getting closer. Finish sanded and polished. liking the veneer more and more. :D

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2019, 12:34 am »
Ah, I see, the subwoofer is downward firing and the slots vent it's output to the room.  Oh man, those are gonna be capable of some amazing bass! 

nickd

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2019, 04:42 am »

Setting them up tomorrow for some first impressions and to start burn in and placement testing.
Can’t wait.  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2019, 10:16 am »
Superb job! Bravo!

Best,
Anand.

nc42acc

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2019, 10:52 am »
I noticed you deviated slightly with the baffle around the tweeter and mid. Do you think this will have any negative effect on the final response compared to what Troels achieved? Great looking work!!

Nick77

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2019, 11:20 am »
First class diy work there, congrats! Is that a foam plug in port?

nickd

« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2019, 01:53 pm »
I noticed you deviated slightly with the baffle around the tweeter and mid. Do you think this will have any negative effect on the final response compared to what Troels achieved?

Well honestly leaving the facets off the front was a bit of a discussion between Peter Noerbaek and I. I wanted a veneer front and grills were a necessity because my grand kids play in that room  almost every weekend. Troles likes the facets for sure. As the baffle step compensation is not really effected too much and there is much argument over sharp edges on baffles in general, we decided on this slope with a flat front and radius edges. Obviously I can’t hear both options, so I will just enjoy what was built and not fret that they could have been different and perhaps a bit better. In initial hook up, they are already amazing.

Tyson

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2019, 02:33 pm »
Radiused edges will more than compensate for the different shape.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2019, 03:07 pm »
They look fabulous!

Early B.

« Reply #18 on: 19 Aug 2019, 03:31 pm »
Awesome!!!

Can't wait to hear your initial impressions.

nickd

« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2019, 04:28 pm »
First class diy work there, congrats! Is that a foam plug in port?
Thanks for the compliment Nick77. I would love to take credit for a DIY build on this one, but as mentioned above 5 degree angles and pyramid builds are out of my league for sure. Peter Noerbaek of PBN Audio was contracted for the beautiful cabinets. I only consulted on design mods from Troles original work.

I wanted the Rythmik 12” Servo Subs and PEQ370 Amplifiers instead of the ScanSpeak subs and Hypex amps Troles uses. The ScanSpeak Sub drivers were not even available when I started planning the build. I have used Rythmik subs before and think they are among the best subs currently available.

The vent for the 8” mid woofer is stuffed with an acoustic filter to load the driver in an aperiodic alignment. It ends up with some benefits of both acoustic suspension and a vented alignment. Troles is pretty serious about his designs. I honestly don’t think I would have the patience to test multiple alignments to find the sweet spot for one of 4 drivers.