COLLEGE FOOTBALL RETURNS!

mmurt

Re: COLLEGE FOOTBALL RETURNS!
« Reply #280 on: 2 Jan 2018, 11:00 pm »
Rashaad Penny, SDSU.  Is he underrated?  Doesn't qualify as a finalist for the Doak Walker Award?  Never mentioned for the Heisman.  2248 yards rushing, 23 TD's, 7.8 YPC, 31 yards per kickoff return with 2 TD's.  Returns 1st punt ever for a TD.  5 straight 200 yard games.  5'11" 220 lbs.  I know, it's the MWC but..... 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #281 on: 2 Jan 2018, 11:20 pm »
Anyone watch the OU-Georgia game?  Awesome game.  OU lost due to poor play calling at the end of the first half and in the second half..  I don't understand squib kickoffs at the end of games or at halftime.  Just kick the ball out of the end zone for a touch back.  At the half with about 12 seconds left, OU squib kicked and Georgia recovered it in excellent field position and kicked a field goal.   I can't tell you how many times I have seen this happen or a team run it back for a score.

However, Georgia proved to be the better team in the second half and OU could not handle that huge Georgia offensive line and power running.

charmerci

« Reply #282 on: 2 Jan 2018, 11:57 pm »
Rashaad Penny, SDSU.  Is he underrated?  Doesn't qualify as a finalist for the Doak Walker Award?  Never mentioned for the Heisman.  2248 yards rushing, 23 TD's, 7.8 YPC, 31 yards per kickoff return with 2 TD's.  Returns 1st punt ever for a TD.  5 straight 200 yard games.  5'11" 220 lbs.  I know, it's the MWC but.....

It's not only the conference but the competition and what the scouts see (and now with video they can see most everything), Marshall Faulk went there and was picked no.2. But also now, the NFL (though it's changing) generally doesn't pick runners very high in the draft.

mmurt

« Reply #283 on: 3 Jan 2018, 12:11 am »
I think that the bias towards the big conferences was to much for him to overcome.  Not sure what they could have seen that would detract.  Power, moves and speed.  NFL scouts do see more than a voter for the Doak and it won't surprise me if he's the first back taken in the draft.  But, yes backs are pretty much a commodity in the NFL.

charmerci

« Reply #284 on: 3 Jan 2018, 12:56 am »
Hunt who had a big season on the Chiefs was from Toledo and they took him in the third round. Anyway, as they say, it's not what round you're picked in....

Mudslide

« Reply #285 on: 3 Jan 2018, 04:46 am »
It's not only the conference but the competition and what the scouts see (and now with video they can see most everything), Marshall Faulk went there and was picked no.2. But also now, the NFL (though it's changing) generally doesn't pick runners very high in the draft.

SDSU was in the WAC back in Faulk's time.  They did have some very good competition out of conference during his years there.  They tied USC and beat Minnesota handily when he played.  Here's a little article on Faulk...check out the video and you'll see why he went #2.  ...A great back!
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/flashback-friday/2014-08-21/san-diego-states-marshall-faulk-sets-four-records-one

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #286 on: 9 Jan 2018, 02:45 am »
It would make my day if the Bulldogs were to shut out 'bama!   :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #287 on: 9 Jan 2018, 03:12 am »

Looking good!

Funny though I don’t have a dawg in this fight, my niece went to Bama and her brother graduated from UGA last May. Very impressed with how Georgie is controlling the game.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #288 on: 9 Jan 2018, 05:10 am »
Damn.

rodge827

« Reply #289 on: 9 Jan 2018, 05:14 am »
Crazy win...Congrats to The Tide!

Mudslide

« Reply #290 on: 9 Jan 2018, 05:18 am »
Anyone have a choking meme?   :duh:

Wig

« Reply #291 on: 9 Jan 2018, 06:33 am »
Crazy game indeed; Roll Tide

Wig :)

Emil

« Reply #292 on: 9 Jan 2018, 12:39 pm »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #293 on: 9 Jan 2018, 04:32 pm »
The internet jokes are all about blowing big leads in Atlanta.  I didn't think that, Alabama knew they had to throw the ball in the second half so replaced the runner with the thrower at halftime.  Two scores is nothing to make up in the college game and Bama got some chunk plays.  I would have liked to see Georgia win simply because Alabama wasn't a legitimate contender, they didn't even win their conference, but I'm not hating, they were the best team last night.

charmerci

« Reply #294 on: 9 Jan 2018, 04:52 pm »
Alabama wins the Championship.
Next - the Patriots win the Super Bowl, the Warriors win the NBA Championship....   :sleep: Wake me when it's over.

Berto

« Reply #295 on: 9 Jan 2018, 05:28 pm »
I went to UGA and still VERY proud of my DAWGS. Bama was most certainly a legitimate contender. They dismantled the #1 team and showed alot of heart to come back and beat GA. Saban looks like a genius throwing a freshman QB, with no previous starts in the biggest game of the year. ( replaced a 25-2 starter) The rest was history.  On the bright side for GA we got a great recruiting class, and will be playing at a high level for years to come.

Emil

« Reply #296 on: 2 Aug 2018, 07:04 pm »
Looks like Michigan may have a chance in beating Ohio State this year.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20180801/ohio-state-urban-meyer-placed-on-administrative-leave

Is this the end for Urban and Ohio State? Will his recruits now bail?

Hope he gets a fair shake. Once the media gets you in their crosshairs......

Mudslide

« Reply #297 on: 2 Aug 2018, 08:05 pm »
Looks like Michigan may have a chance in beating Ohio State this year.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20180801/ohio-state-urban-meyer-placed-on-administrative-leave

Is this the end for Urban and Ohio State? Will his recruits now bail?

Hope he gets a fair shake. Once the media gets you in their crosshairs......

I think he has had his fair shake, Emil.  He left Utah and Florida under pretty awful and shady circumstances (http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/2178871-urban-meyer-florida-ohio-state-ncaa-violation-recruiting-drugs-program-will-musc )...31 Gators arrested.

Be gone with him!

(But thanks for waking up this sleeping giant of a thread.   :D)

Escott1377

« Reply #298 on: 2 Aug 2018, 08:19 pm »
Clemson #2 in the preseason power rankings behind Alabama. 

#1 rated defense in the country and there will be a hell of a battle for the starting QB position this year.

Go Tigers!

Mudslide

« Reply #299 on: 3 Aug 2018, 04:51 am »
Hey Emil.  I see your buddies at Penn State just landed one of Oregon's coach's son....a big time QB. 

Thieves!   :nono: