Big7 tube shootout!

ALRAINBOW

Re: Big7 tube shootout!
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jan 2015, 12:50 am »
Try the eml 274B mesh.  It's a fav for me.  The eml line of tubes overall covers a good ground of sound types
With all of them being good for the type.  Sophia electric as a Recti is also good for B7
My fave rite tube so far is the Elrogs 300B. But they are very far from a 101D sound.

sfox7076

« Reply #41 on: 25 Jan 2015, 01:42 am »
Have not tried the EML yet, but I agree that the WE 274b really pushed it up a notch.  Anyone try the Sylvania 274b yet?  I have one, but have not popped it in yet.  The U52 from Brimar is not as good as the WE 274b in the amp. 

I have 101D tennis balls and 101d ST shapes.  I prefer the tennis balls, but it is a marginal difference.  That said, I am waiting for the OK to let people know about the other tube I have tried that was better than the 101d to me.  That said, it is another WE tube.

Shawn

silverlight

« Reply #42 on: 25 Jan 2015, 01:48 am »
May try the Elrog's at some point once I narrow down the current inventory (they're not cheap... http://www.trueaudiophile.com/elrog-300b-vacuum-tube-hand-made-in-germany-on-telefunken-machines/), but have plenty of fun ahead to keep me busy when I have time to try the various tubes I've got here.  I don't have an alternate use for 300B's, so only have one pair around here from a prior amp and didn't like them as much as some of the others I've tried.  The nice thing is that I'm not feeling the need any more to experiment so something's working right at this point which is a great thing.

Audioclyde

« Reply #43 on: 25 Jan 2015, 01:58 am »
While I'm using in different equipment, IMHO the Sylvania 274B is very, very good--pretty darn close to the WE 274B (which isn't surprising given my understanding of their heritage).

I have an EML 274B with really low hours if anyone is interested; I personally much prefer my Sylvania JAN 274B.

I have Takatsuki 300B's headed my way for use in my new amps (once the amps are broken in)--I couldn't afford a pair of the matching 274B's.  When my wallet recovers, I want to try the Elrog 300b's also.

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #44 on: 25 Jan 2015, 01:59 am »
The eml 45 bottle is nice but it's annaversary globe is better in low end impact. Also an overall impact or meet as some say.
But if you like the 101D have you tried any 6A3. They are a step up in relax sound but main gain the details.
Also I have the U.S. airforce 596 it can be bought as real new nos. it too is very good. But in pairs I recommend it over any Sophia electric Recti

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #45 on: 25 Jan 2015, 02:05 am »
The eml 45 bottle is nice but it's annaversary globe is better in low end impact. Also an overall impact or meet as some say.
But if you like the 101D have you tried any 6A3. They are a step up in relax sound but main gain the details.
Also I have the U.S. airforce 596 it can be bought as real new nos. it too is very good. But in pairs I recommend it over any Sophia electric Recti

Is the eml solid or mesh ?

sfox7076

« Reply #46 on: 25 Jan 2015, 03:33 am »
Once again, in my system, 6A3s are not as good as 101ds.   I will point out that Silverlight's 101Ds are the metal base WE.  Probably made in the teens or early twenties.  Mine are bakealite bases.   FYI  Gopher may have another tube cooking as well.  These cost a whopping $15 each and are supposed to be awesome. 

shawbros3

« Reply #47 on: 25 Jan 2015, 04:47 am »
Doesn't the WE 274b cost an arm and a leg :o  If it's the best one so far of the bunch, someone might want to try out its cheaper cousin the WE 422a.  That tube really made my Melody Preamp sing.  Also, the Mullard CV378 fat bottle was a damn good one as well.  I wish I could have tried the 274b tube family in my Big 7 when I had it, but mine ran 6x5's.

Anyone try the EML 300B-XLS or the AVVT 32B SL's in the output seat?  Those two worked well in my Coincident amps.

sleep_fox

« Reply #48 on: 25 Jan 2015, 01:22 pm »
Hi, guys, thanks a lot for the response. I asked about GZ32 and WE101D since there are NOS available. Especially GZ32 with huge stocks online. I suppose it is safer to start with NOS rather than used ones. I have already ordered one GZ32 NOS made by Telefunken. I will then pick from either WE101D's or Psvane complete replica.  :lol:

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #49 on: 25 Jan 2015, 01:55 pm »
The metal base is the we101d. Most feel this is better than the white base. But agin your choice. They both are a hyper detail analytical presentation
Enjoy

sfox7076

« Reply #50 on: 25 Jan 2015, 02:06 pm »
Not sure what you mean Al.  Metal base WE were made from production until about 1928-1930.  1930 to 1940 were bakalite base, but same tubes.  I have heard pairs of both.  They sound identical to me.  Metal base versions are a bit harder to find, but according to a friend, also are a lot higher to find with good testing outputs.  As always YMMV. 

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #51 on: 25 Jan 2015, 03:15 pm »
Sorry I meant the pavane metal base are the better ones. I have a pair of the black Bakelite base ones.

wisnon

« Reply #52 on: 25 Jan 2015, 03:41 pm »
Once again, in my system, 6A3s are not as good as 101ds.   I will point out that Silverlight's 101Ds are the metal base WE.  Probably made in the teens or early twenties.  Mine are bakealite bases.   FYI  Gopher may have another tube cooking as well.  These cost a whopping $15 each and are supposed to be awesome.

Which $15 tube is that?

sleep_fox

« Reply #53 on: 25 Jan 2015, 04:20 pm »
There are two versions of Psvane 101D. The grey metal base version is the complete replica:

The other much cheaper version is white bakelite base.

I am considering either the metal base replica or the real NOS WE 101D.  :lol:

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #54 on: 25 Jan 2015, 07:58 pm »
Ok I cannot he the photos to load. 
But I have the metal and the nos.
the metals bests the the nos. 
how in overall details and clarity.
Although the nos does have more weight
But the 101d is a detail tube so the ps avane replica metal bass is the one I would choose.
As we all are fans of the old tubes myself included we should not become delusional as to what is better. Not all that is vintage is better at least not for me. 
But again this is my choice. And with piano and percussion. The paino is a complex percussion instarsmint to hear. It has overtones as well as first impact. So details that decay fast are not always the best but too slow stinks too. 
This was done with a woo Wes all tricked out tubes
And yes some nos as in the vt99 tungsol and the pavane eml34
With the stax 009. Headphones.
Woth this combo there is no where to hide imperfections.
The B7 is a great dac for sure.  I have a ps audio DS as cool as it is the level of drop is pretty far
Al

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #55 on: 25 Jan 2015, 08:01 pm »
Music used was both pcm and dsd. 
For anyone who has the tumbleweed album
Try come down in time. It's so up close and personnel it's amazing with this combo.
And amoreena as well. Although the first one is just a cut above in quality

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #56 on: 25 Jan 2015, 08:18 pm »
Also for what's it's worth with certain tubes the Sophia electric princess 274B bests out the eml mesh cleanly.
Yet thus combo is far better in my woo amp.
The tube rolling game almost makes no sense at times.
The princess is just more abiut being there Ina big way. 

bonzo75

« Reply #57 on: 25 Jan 2015, 11:24 pm »
Hi is this the Sophia Electric 274b, or Sophia electric Princess 274b mesh? Thanks

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #58 on: 25 Jan 2015, 11:41 pm »
It has a black base and seems to be a mesh.  It seems best so far.  I have adew others to try. Again this is all conjecture from me. And I am not so called expert just a guy like most who here who has a bunch of tubes and understands the changes between them.  I will,Ty others and get some notes going. But one the g is clear the recti mattersplenty and the combo of output doES too. So it's complex more than before.  And my hea dac when it comes is like this and has a driver tube as well.  But hey that's the fun of this. To roll tubes and hear our beloved music all,over agin is never work but a joy .  As I own a msb stack it plays great but there is little to do in change. Although there is some filters but they fall very short of what tubes can do. Hope this is understood.
Al

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #59 on: 25 Jan 2015, 11:58 pm »
Aslo some tubes like the 101d and the prinsess gets me so close I hear the tape hiss. Now this is always a good sign of greater details. 
When my aprtment is done ot will hOuse two infinity setups. One is the RS1B and the other the infinity IRS V.
Now this does not make me an expert and I a,not but it does help to add to my views with both headphones and speakers.
Al