Target curve and DSP

abomwell

Target curve and DSP
« on: 3 Dec 2021, 02:32 pm »
My X5's are at a new level of excellence as a result of some  EQ adjustments. My processor (DSPeaker Anti-mode X4) allows me to measure the FR at my listening position and apply paramedic EQ via a number of built-in filters. It also has automatic room correction. Yesterday I spent about an hour creating filters to make the measured response ruler flat from 200Hz to 2kHz. The natural FR of the AMT tweeter slopes downward above 2kHz and required no EQ there except for a slight peak at 2kHz which I brought down. Below 200Hz the automatic room correction knocked off a room related peak in the bass. The bass rises about 5dB below 200Hz.. The bass drivers on the X5's are set between the two highest dots. As mentioned I'm more than pleased with the results as the sound is really phenomenal. But I do have a question regarding measurements made from the listening position. Does anyone know if the target curve described above should be different for dipoles vs. monopoles? I keep reading that dipoles are difficult to measure. My ears tell me I've significantly improved what is already a great speaker and it was so simple to accomplish.

DannyBadorine

Re: Target curve and DSP
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2021, 03:25 pm »
I don't see any reason that the listening curve should be different between dipoles and monopoles.  It's generally accepted that we want as flat frequency response as possible at the listening position without causing too much harm.  Is this the only position that you listen from?  Correcting too much for one spot can harm other listening spots.
If you're only correcting one spot above 200Hz then those speakers and your room are performing really well.  Low end modes are very common since those frequencies are building up much more due to being more omni-directional.  Since dipoles excite the room more evenly than monopoles (especially in the low end region) I would be careful to overcorrect any low frequencies.  So if there's a 5db bump at 60Hz, then I might only reduce it 2 or 3db.  But in the end, it's all about how it sounds to your ear.  Some people like more low end than others and even if the freq response shows that it's too much, it might sound right to you. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2021, 03:44 pm »
You can go for a flat measured response but in psycho-acoutics it's generally recognized that a 'house curve' sounds best to most people.  That's a slope where the bass is the highest and there's a (very) gradual roll off as you get higher in frequency. 

Re: bass modes, OB's are definitely better than box speakers but even OB is not perfect.  There's generally 1 bad mode that's still excited even with an OB.  It would be nice if the powered X series amps had an EQ built in that would let you knock that down at the amp level.   I know in my room I have a really bad 50hz mode and a moderately bad mode at 100hz.  Since I'm digital only up there, and I use Roon as my only source, I just use the (good quality) EQ that's built in to Roon. 

I notice after I deal with these humps, the speaker naturally has a very nice 'room curve' without me having to apply any other major EQ to it.  Very nice!

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2021, 09:39 pm »
I use Roon as my only source, I just use the (good quality) EQ that's built in to Roon. 

I notice after I deal with these humps, the speaker naturally has a very nice 'room curve' without me having to apply any other major EQ to it.  Very nice!
I would prefer not to use any type of DSP as I wish my room and the entire system was performing the way I know it should.  I use Roon as well and was a little nervous about using the EQ feature.  I’ve never used any DSP on my 2-channel systems except some upsampling in Roon.  I’ve used some of the basic and advanced settings in my home theater surround sound processors over the hears.   Can you give any advice on where I can get a layman’s rundown on proper frequency ranges and how to use DSP/EQ for hifi systems?  I appreciate the knowledge that you guys bring to the table!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2021, 12:58 am »
I would prefer not to use any type of DSP as I wish my room and the entire system was performing the way I know it should.  I use Roon as well and was a little nervous about using the EQ feature.  I’ve never used any DSP on my 2-channel systems except some upsampling in Roon.  I’ve used some of the basic and advanced settings in my home theater surround sound processors over the hears.   Can you give any advice on where I can get a layman’s rundown on proper frequency ranges and how to use DSP/EQ for hifi systems?  I appreciate the knowledge that you guys bring to the table!

I've used several EQ programs and pieces of gear and for ME, I don't like to use EQ anywhere except the bass.  Even there I really don't like to use it more than for 2 or 3 spots.  And ONLY use EQ to deal with a peak.  Never, ever try to use EQ to fill in a null.  I also tend to use very narrow applications.  How 'wide' or 'narrow' your EQ is gets defined by the Q value.  A low Q value gives you a very wide EQ effect, while a high Q value gives you a very narrow effect.  I usually set my Q to either 5 or 6. 

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2021, 01:34 am »
I've used several EQ programs and pieces of gear and for ME, I don't like to use EQ anywhere except the bass.  Even there I really don't like to use it more than for 2 or 3 spots.  And ONLY use EQ to deal with a peak.  Never, ever try to use EQ to fill in a null.  I also tend to use very narrow applications.  How 'wide' or 'narrow' your EQ is gets defined by the Q value.  A low Q value gives you a very wide EQ effect, while a high Q value gives you a very narrow effect.  I usually set my Q to either 5 or 6.
Good information….  I don’t think I’ll get caught up in the EQ race for perfection.  I’ll get the room treated properly and maintain system synergy!  Thanks!

DannyBadorine

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2021, 03:53 pm »
Proper room treatment is definitely the way to go.  If you dive into EQ and how it works, you find that it is inducing phase to certain frequencies in order to boost or reduce them.  If you dive into phase you realize how important it is to maintain phase to have a good sounding system.  Therefore, use EQ sparingly as Tyson has suggested.  The other issue with DSP is that it has some added A/D and D/A conversions.  I find this to be the most problematic.  If your source is digital and you have a good converter then it's fine, but when I have run vinyl through DSP I really don't like it.  So for me, I like to have a fully digital system for the TV and streaming (this includes using DSP for my crossover on speakers) and a fully analog system for vinyl. 
Another good suggestion from Tyson is to only use EQ as subtractive.  Don't use it to add frequencies.