Cheap and beautiful.

wplash666

Cheap and beautiful.
« on: 3 Jul 2021, 05:41 am »
I recently acquired a Bryston SP -1 for $450 to use as a two channel pre-amp using a Benchmark-1 USB DAC that I got for $400, with  an NAD T744 as a two channel amp. It sounds pretty awesome going into a pair of Klipsch Cornwall lll's. It sounds better than an Integrated Amp that you cn buy today for about $8500 at Audio Advisor . I owned that amp.Thought I should share this.

SET Man

Re: Cheap and beautiful.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2021, 02:49 am »
Hey!

I believe you. Beside the recent Class-D amplification.... of which I can't seem to warm up to :roll: ... there's nothing much new in amplification technology in the past 25 years or so.

Personally I think anyone can assemble a nice sounding system from used equipment for significantly less money than buying new ones. Of course as long as you don't care about having bragging rights of having the greatest, latest flavor of the month and etc.

Anyway, enjoy the music!

Buddy

artur9

Re: Cheap and beautiful.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2021, 03:30 am »
I had a similar experience with a Cary Audio Cinema 11 processor.  That reignited my passion for excellent audio.

I did try an SP-1.  It couldn't do everything I needed done but it was an outstanding pre-amp.

I think finding good amps is easier and harder.  Easier because the differences are slight; harder because the difference that a really good amp makes is more than slight.  Hope that makes sense.