Odyssey Candela Hum Issue

topside3

Odyssey Candela Hum Issue
« on: 2 Mar 2020, 07:32 pm »
Hey everyone. Through many google searches I've come to determine that Audio Circle seems to be THE place for Odyssey discussions. I have a Candela that I purchased late last year that has a low level hum (coming out of speakers). It's faint but audible at the listening position. Is this normal for this unit? I've already tried plugging it into a separate circuit, so I'm pretty sure it's not a ground loop issue.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
Re: Odyssey Candela Hum Issue
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2020, 11:45 pm »
Hi,

Welcome to Odyssey...PM me your phone number and best time to talk so we can discuss your Candela low level hum.

Best,
Alex

James^

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2020, 06:05 am »
Topside,

I got a pair of max'd out Khartagos way back (well six years ago).
And I just plugged them up and turned them on to let 'em burn for a while,
before I hooked 'em into a system.
And there was this pretty pronounced hum coming from one of the amps (directly from the amp itself).
Bummer!  My brand new amp got a hum.
As it turned out the power cord was quite a bit longer than needed in the shallow space I had sat the amp in.
And a loop of the excess power cord had fallen across the back few inches of one of the back corners of the amp.
I flipped it aside... voila!  hum gone.

Now... I know your hum is different, coming from the speakers, etc.

But point being, hum is a persistent foe, waiting at every turn.

If I had to bet, I would bet that the Candela didn't leave Klaus defective.

So have faith, call him, or Alex.  Sleuth it out.  I bet it'll all work out.

Part of our hobby it seems.   :lol:

James

Hey everyone. Through many google searches I've come to determine that Audio Circle seems to be THE place for Odyssey discussions. I have a Candela that I purchased late last year that has a low level hum (coming out of speakers). It's faint but audible at the listening position. Is this normal for this unit? I've already tried plugging it into a separate circuit, so I'm pretty sure it's not a ground loop issue.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2020, 05:26 am »
I have a Tempest that had the hum issue - the transformer.

You can send it back to Klaus to have it updated or as I did, get a Audio by Van Alstine (avahifi.com) Humdinger and it should go away.

Call Klaus for the best answer.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2020, 01:50 pm by charmerci »

zerojeff

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2020, 10:34 am »
I have a Candela and have noticed it is dead quiet with some interconnects and has a hum with others. The interconnect is not bad as it is quiet in my other all tube system when I use it there. This is baffling to me but nevertheless it is real.

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2022, 12:18 am »
My Candela has had hum since I got it. It is noticeable from a few feet away from the speakers.  Very distracting. I was hoping others who may have had the same issue can share their experience and how it was fixed.

Vince in TX

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2022, 01:16 am »
My Candela has had hum since I got it. It is noticeable from a few feet away from the speakers.  Very distracting. I was hoping others who may have had the same issue can share their experience and how it was fixed.

Have you talked to Klaus?   I was dealing with a hum issue a few months ago with a new Kismet amp, and Klaus was awesome with getting it taken care of.   All is now quiet, and I'm loving it!    :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2022, 03:04 pm »
So how was it fixed?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2022, 09:44 pm »
No reply BUT an AVA Humdinger worked on my Khatargo mono amp - well worth doing as that amp was buzzing like crazy.
Not any longer.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2022, 01:10 am »
My Stratos Extreme recently developed a hum. Been looking to solve it and found the cause this evening. My speakers are on wheels to allow movement when not in use. I moved them to the listening position and dimmed the lights for my listening session. I usually dim them after I get the music playing. Well as the dimmers did their thing, the hum disappeared. I ran the dimmers up and down and know for sure that is the issue. I have read about dimmers causing problems like this but never witnessed it till tonight.
The hum issue was not present till recently. There has been a change in some of my gear, new interconnects too so I thought the issue was an impendence miss match or cable issue. I also found that one of the dimmers wasn't changing as usual when using my remote. Dimmers were installed 10 years ago when I refurbished the building for audio and home theater use. So new dimmers on the way.

Would be nice if all problems were this easy to track down. Hopes this helps others with similar issues.