BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

jean7007

Bryston BDP and BOT not working anymore => because of my mistake setting (solved):

I Think I found the bug that was bugging me with the BOT-1 and my BDP.
When I ran into issues with importing from the BOT,

I must have set the scratch disk to a HD called 1TB connected to the BDP
Then later disconnected the HD called 1TB and connected a new HD called FLAC01
As the scratch disk settings of the BDP was still searching for the scratch disk
The whole BDP + BOT became in a crash modus.  (That is what I think happened )

Because when I connected a thumbdrive to the BDP, named 1TB all issues suddenly were gone, and the CD backup worked again.

My suggestions (as send to Bryston) Chris:
in disk information settings show scratch disk- to (what) HD/ SSD/ Thumbdrive
in the same row as disk size, mount point etc

Make it easy to disconnect the scratch disk somehow
Scratch disk location,
How to stop the scratch disk location/ do not use any HD for scratch
can it be de-assigned?
Suggestion: in disk information/settings in the row with mount point, size , block etc perhaps a line could mention scratch location: used/ not used.
If this really was the cause of my struggle, setting a scratch disk location, then ejecting that USB HD/SSD making the BDP plus BOT unusable for cd import is ‘a thing’

Timing (webbrowser entree) to the BDP
it takes about 5-10 seconds between pressing the button backup and the message: backup initiated
Suggestion; can that be shorter? or a message earlier: back up cd starting

When the cd backup is ready, it takes time before ejecting the CD from the BOT
there is no message that it is busy with anything, until the cd is ejected.
It only shows completed on the last track.
Suggestion; can a message be shown, busy (0/100%) wait until CD is ejected

When in backup of a CD using the BOT
I noticed that on the physical display of the BDP, the notification shows: CD Ready
Suggestion: while using the BOT to backup a CD (using the webbrowser entree to the BDP) 
show on the physical display of the BDP:  BOT CD backup in progress (0/100%)

CD being physical these can gert dirty/ scratches etc
Some CD became stuck in the backup progress
Meaning the cd needs to be ejected and the backup progress is stopped

A timer could help, after so many times trying to read the data, skip the track. Not importing it. Next track.
Suggestion;
Webbrowser BOT settings menu in he BDP
- how many times re reading CD tracks before skipping the track

Cover art
the meta data shows the artist and album information
he BDP does search for the cover art, but you need to open the cover art menu before you see it and could change it tp the correct cover art
Suggestion, to preview the supposed correct cover art  in the cd backup screen without the need to open the cover art menu first

Here my search for solving my issue of BOT not ripping my CD's
===========
Issue BOT and BDP
at first I had a HD called 1TB
the first CD was correct written to the HD 1TB
the 2nd CD did not write the data to the HD 1TB

Tried a 3rd CD, no luck
checked some settings in the Disk settings from the BDP (I think I must have made the setting scratch disk to the 1TB HD then)

the connected HD to the BDP perhaps to be the issue
formatted it again and gave it a new name FLAC01

Then the issues really started
back up CD did not work anymore
the BDP mentioned every time I tried to backup: already running backup
days later, no result on the HD

I noticed that the original 1TB name was still mentioned in the BDP at the right side in media player
checked the settings for backup in the BDP these were correctly pointed towards the new
name for the HD: FLAC01

Still the backup did not work

tried many OS for checking the import settings of the BDP
included the Sony OLED TV OS, and different webbrowsers
same result, no backup
It is not the OS

Checked the HD
it’s not the HD, playing songs from the HD no problem

Checked the BOT, for playing CD’s no issues
it’s not the BOT

Checked the USB connection cable
it’s not the cable

using my Macbook Pro on latest Macos, I noticed  differences between the Mac and iphone using bryston web entree to the bdp.

When using the iphone webbrowser for example I saw zero red ( disconnected ) ssd or hd.
On the mac often I saw a row of disconnected ssd/hd storage mediums.  1TB for example
Also on the mac a row of flac songs in red.

I deselected show corrupt tracks on mediaplayer settings.
Since then I do not see red flac tracks on the iphone bryston web entree to the bdp.

In the webbrowser I could choose where to burn the cd content to, but also to disconnected ssd/hd. the 1TB. That shouldn’t be selectable.. I suppose.

When connecting a external ssd or hd to the bdp often there are issues : disconnected mpd
While mpd is connected. The cpu load is then >90%.
A thumbstick then too has issues, stays red.

That 1TB name in the media player…
I formatted a new thumbdrive and named it 1TB
inserted it in the rear USB port

Backup from CD started to work again, without changing any settings
Shutdown the BDP, checked the thumbdrive called 1TB for song data.
No data was written to the thumbdrive

Using the webbrowser to the BDP checked if the rip was done
checked the name of the just backup CD in the media player
nothing

Checked the BDP using physical buttons, scrolling through the FLAC1 HD content
There it (finally) was mentioned

So the 1TB was the bug in this/ my settings made to the 1TB somehow maintained
I guess that perhaps I choose scratch disk for the 1TB while trying to get the BDP to work with the BOT
And the BDP now needs that 1TB scratch HD

One bug that bugs me: why can’t I see the backup CD in the webbrowser, while I can see them using the physical buttons to scroll through the songs…

Because I was trying to get my BOT to work and investigating why it did not work
I had many OS open: browsers Opera, Chrome, Safari on the Mac and Sony OS/ Google TVOS on the Sony OLED
This also gives issues, when importing for example a CD using Safari webbrowser  with the backup page of the BDP open to check the progress of the CD backup
AND at the same time having Chrome webbrowser to the adress of the BDP  opening mediaplayer will stop the cd backup in the Safari webbrowser to the BDP, ejecting the CD and the backup stopped.
Running the Bryston webbrowser to the BDP on multiple OS is not a good idea.
1 thing at the time, either backup cd’s or play songs I guess (for the BDP-1)

all in all, I have the BOT working (again) with the BDP
It imports CD / backups my CD into the BDP, read the data, encodes, checks metadata, then ejects the CD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #441 on: 25 Jun 2022, 04:26 pm »
WOW - quite the explanation !

james

jean7007

« Reply #442 on: 29 Jun 2022, 06:46 pm »
Hi,
I’m still struggling with the BDP and BOT
Cd’s were importing (at last) playlist updated
Then, cd’s importing but the (webbrowser) playlist not updated
Using the Physical buttons on the BDP to the recent cd import show up.
Anybody any suggestions how to get the playlist on the webbrowser gui to the BDP to update again?

Thanks
 Jean

jobiwon

« Reply #443 on: 29 Jun 2022, 08:19 pm »
Yeah I am about ready to give up on the BOT.  I have inquired here, called Bryston and emailed them several times and nothing.   I realize the product is no longer supported but it still makes me reluctant to purchase any more Bryston gear.

jean7007

« Reply #444 on: 3 Jul 2022, 07:08 am »
Found several points that could help getting the bdp and bot working as should: reset bdp to factory settings using dashboard/ system.  cd back up/ settings: use memory as temp storage. Check dashboard disk info for /user allocated memory. Attach and point to use a scratch disk in disk information : usb thumpdrive >2/4 GB. Reboot the BDP using dashboard / system reboot. Check if the scratch disk is allocated. Dashboard/ disk info perform : update . on the disk used for the backup of cd’s.

brucek

« Reply #445 on: 3 Jul 2022, 08:56 pm »
Found several points that could help getting the bdp and bot working as should: reset bdp to factory settings using dashboard/ system.  cd back up/ settings: use memory as temp storage. Check dashboard disk info for /user allocated memory. Attach and point to use a scratch disk in disk information : usb thumpdrive >2/4 GB. Reboot the BDP using dashboard / system reboot. Check if the scratch disk is allocated. Dashboard/ disk info perform : update . on the disk used for the backup of cd’s.

Wow, I would probably consider that information, "for nerds only", and not for a regular run-of-the-mill audio enthusiast who thought this device would be an easy solution to rip their CD collection. Shouldn't these devices be easy to operate for all?

brucek

jean7007

« Reply #446 on: 4 Jul 2022, 07:39 am »
A brand new BDP, i.e. the new BDP-3 and a BOT, should have all settings correct, and you should not run into any issues.
The BDP and BOT combination can work without the use of a webbrowser, insert a CD, press the button and the back up starts automatically.

I have the BOT-1 & BDP-1.
In the BDP-1 are many settings.
Which may, or may not, tune your BDP to your personal set up.
My BDP came in set to someone else's settings.
From day 1 the BOT just did not respond to the BDP.
I reset the BDP to factory settings and double checked all other settings.
Since then all is fine, the CD back up works as expected.

I back -upped 100's of CD's to the BDP-1 using the BOT-1 as CD transport and many more are waiting for the back up.

vonnie123

« Reply #447 on: 10 Jul 2022, 01:20 am »
Wow, I would probably consider that information, "for nerds only", and not for a regular run-of-the-mill audio enthusiast who thought this device would be an easy solution to rip their CD collection. Shouldn't these devices be easy to operate for all?

brucek

Ripping is far more efficient than using the BOT-1 for backup.  No doubt about that.

R. Daneel

« Reply #448 on: 15 Jul 2022, 05:23 pm »
What’s interesting to me is how quickly they dismissed the project. I remember Chris working very hard (and long hours) to make it work. One particular photo stuck in my mind – where he had the player on his bench, at way passed midnight, saying it was a long day but that he got it working. It was a full-width (17’’) component at that point, with a conventional drawer-type mech, not this slot-in business. At that point, it looked like a worthy project and something I’d be interested in.

Yet, they delivered something completely different – a computer ROM drive for 1500 €. Even though James says their prices are a direct reflection of the costs involved in making a product, it simply isn’t true in this case. Considering how many problems the users are having, you cannot say that this high price is there to help recover the costs of software development – and we know the money didn’t go into the hardware either.

If the project had continued like it was first envisioned, I’d be enthusiastic about it. But as it turned out, the BOT-1 is an insanely-priced, uninspiring piece of equipment IMHO.

jobiwon

« Reply #449 on: 19 Jul 2022, 03:54 am »
the BOT-1 is an insanely-priced, uninspiring piece of equipment IMHO.

Mine is currently a useless brick.  :cuss:

R. Daneel

« Reply #450 on: 19 Jul 2022, 05:37 pm »
Mine is currently a useless brick.  :cuss:

Hi!

I’m sorry to hear that. I read your previous post where you said you’re thinking about giving up on Bryston in general. I can quite understand your viewpoint – I am really the same way. You can trick me only once and then we’re done.

Knowing what goes or rather, what should go into engineering, I wonder how the BOT-1 was even approved for final production and delivery to the customers. From what I’m reading, it’s a half-product. Even if you dismiss the 1500 € price for what is basically a ROM drive in a fancy box (people can spend their money on what they please), it should at the very least work as intended.

Then there’s the customer support. IMO, the “high-end” description is deserved only when the quality of the product is matched by effective after-sales support. This is where most companies fail miserably. In this regard, there are a lot fewer high-end manufacturers than people think. Now, Bryston didn’t make the ROM drive inside the BOT-1 so likely they don’t take any responsibility for its operability (I am assuming the drive itself is the problem here). They really should because it was them who decided to use that drive and you gave your money to them, not Panasonic or whoever made the drive. The bottom line is this – some customers are clearly happy with their purchase so if they got what they paid for, there is absolutely no reason you should be treated any differently.

My advice is to be persistent. James Tanner is a decent gentleman. I know it’s no consolation but Bryston is actually one of the better companies to deal with.

Cheers!

jobiwon

« Reply #451 on: 19 Jul 2022, 10:27 pm »
Hi!

I’m sorry to hear that. I read your previous post where you said you’re thinking about giving up on Bryston in general. I can quite understand your viewpoint – I am really the same way. You can trick me only once and then we’re done.

Knowing what goes or rather, what should go into engineering, I wonder how the BOT-1 was even approved for final production and delivery to the customers. From what I’m reading, it’s a half-product. Even if you dismiss the 1500 € price for what is basically a ROM drive in a fancy box (people can spend their money on what they please), it should at the very least work as intended.

Then there’s the customer support. IMO, the “high-end” description is deserved only when the quality of the product is matched by effective after-sales support. This is where most companies fail miserably. In this regard, there are a lot fewer high-end manufacturers than people think. Now, Bryston didn’t make the ROM drive inside the BOT-1 so likely they don’t take any responsibility for its operability (I am assuming the drive itself is the problem here). They really should because it was them who decided to use that drive and you gave your money to them, not Panasonic or whoever made the drive. The bottom line is this – some customers are clearly happy with their purchase so if they got what they paid for, there is absolutely no reason you should be treated any differently.

My advice is to be persistent. James Tanner is a decent gentleman. I know it’s no consolation but Bryston is actually one of the better companies to deal with.

Cheers!

I actually suspect the power supply.  When I plug it in the power light does not stay continuously illuminated, flickers.  Started by intermittently disappearing from MM interface.  Now it never even registers with MM.  I have looked online for a power supply but dont see any with matching connector for BOT. All my request has been is: can I buy another?

I slum over on audiogon in the digital group and have always recommended Bryston streamers to people.  I dont recommend Bryston  anymore.
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2022, 04:21 pm by jobiwon »

R. Daneel

« Reply #452 on: 22 Jul 2022, 09:17 am »
I actually suspect the power supply.  When I plug it in the power light does not stay continuously illuminated, flickers.  Started by intermittently disappearing from MM interface.  Now it never even registers with MM.  I have looked online for a power supply but dont see any with matching connector for BOT. All my request has been is: can I buy another?

I slum over on audiogon in the digital group and have always recommended Bryston streamers to people.  I dont recommend Bryston  anymore.

Hi!

Which BDP player are you using?

Are you using any kind of external power supplies with your BOT or is it powered by the USB bus on your BDP?

If you are using a BDP-1, it has a 1 Amp power supply whereas BDP-2/3 have a 5 Amp power supply. Depending on which version of BDP you are using and what you have connected to it, a connected device will perform well or poor. One other thing to consider is - the USB cable. In case you are powering the BOT directly off the BDP's USB bus, the length of the USB cable might be too long. As outrageous as it sounds, I have external USB-powered HDDs that just don't work if the USB cable exceeds a certain length. As you've described, the power LED goes on and off. All of these are USB 2.0 devices like the BDP and BOT.

Let me know!
Cheers - Antun

jobiwon

« Reply #453 on: 22 Jul 2022, 06:06 pm »
Hi!

Which BDP player are you using?

Are you using any kind of external power supplies with your BOT or is it powered by the USB bus on your BDP?

If you are using a BDP-1, it has a 1 Amp power supply whereas BDP-2/3 have a 5 Amp power supply. Depending on which version of BDP you are using and what you have connected to it, a connected device will perform well or poor. One other thing to consider is - the USB cable. In case you are powering the BOT directly off the BDP's USB bus, the length of the USB cable might be too long. As outrageous as it sounds, I have external USB-powered HDDs that just don't work if the USB cable exceeds a certain length. As you've described, the power LED goes on and off. All of these are USB 2.0 devices like the BDP and BOT.

Let me know!
Cheers - Antun

BOT-1 uses an external power supply.   My BDP is the Pi.
Here is the BOT-1 Power Supply.
https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=241427

R. Daneel

« Reply #454 on: 22 Jul 2022, 07:48 pm »
BOT-1 uses an external power supply.   My BDP is the Pi.
Here is the BOT-1 Power Supply.
https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=241427

I see. The label says it’s 9V/2A and the plug appears to be a pin-type. I think it shouldn’t be difficult to find a replacement because that is one seriously cheap power adaptor. Quite shocking any manufacturer with high-end pretence would use something like that. Just to be sure, can you please post a pic of the plug itself? Have you tested the adaptor with something else?

OTM

« Reply #455 on: 24 Jul 2022, 02:38 am »
The BOT 1 says 12v input

R. Daneel

« Reply #456 on: 24 Jul 2022, 03:03 pm »
A D-SUB connector to power an otherwise ordinary computer ROM drive.
But there’s one thing I don’t quite understand – the schematic on the actual power supply clearly shows a circular plug with two poles with a plus on the inner pin and a minus on the outer ring… Did Bryston buy the power supply from a Chinese supplier and just changed the plug to a D-SUB in-house?