Too much gain.

SHIF

Too much gain.
« on: 23 Feb 2004, 12:43 am »
Wow, all the usual accolades apply to the music my new Cornet creates.  Only a couple hours on her yet I'm loving every minute.

There is a definite audible hum, and I did the star ground fix with C13 & 14 but I only detect minor improvement.  Anyway this hum is only noticeable when the preamp is cranked up without a record spinning.  I may tweak with the grounding of the heater circuit later, but another issue comes first.

I have too much gain.  This is quite the opposite from my old SS phono box.  The Cornet provides too much gain which prohibits the optimum utilization of my great preamp.  I’d like to reduce the gain by 10dB or so.  Will substituting 5751 for the 12AX7 tubes do the trick or do I need a resistor or something on the outputs?

Sure is a fun project so far.

hagtech

Too much gain.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2004, 07:10 am »
You could reduce gain by changing a whole lotta resistor values - rebias tubes, add dividers, etc. and compensate for EQ.  Much easier than increasing gain.  Then again, nothing really straightforward.

Changing tubes will alter EQ.  The 5751 is not too bad.

Really, dropping 10dB would require drastic changes.  Like going to the octal version.

jh :|

SHIF

Too much gain.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2004, 08:58 pm »
Thanks Jim for another prompt reply.
I think I'll live with the gain as is for now.  I really love this Cornet, it is more musical than I ever imagined.   :D  I'm rediscovering all my old vinyl treasures.  I think my next purchase will be a new cartridge for my TT.

-Shif