Betsy

JeffEgg

Betsy
« on: 12 Jun 2020, 03:56 am »
Making an introduction and about to embark on building a set of Wild Burro Betsy. My first time playing with OB's. I'll  pour over this thread and have a good time doing it.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Betsy
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2020, 12:47 pm »
Do you have a baffle style/shape already planned or is that tbd?
What amp are you going to use with them?

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2020, 02:05 pm »
There are a lot of different open baffle designs. If you want something simple that sounds great, check out the Caintuck Audio website.  Randy Rash (Mr. Caintuck Audio) has been building small, barrel shaped OB's for several years using the Wild Burro drivers. He has experimented with several different designs, his current one sounds great.

Randy shares information and specifications freely as he like to help out DIY'ers. His designs can be scaled up to larger, thicker baffles for those interested. He has recently opted to build only hardwood baffles given declining quality of veneered plywood he can access. So I suggest sticking with good quality, dense hardwoods. Randy's got plenty of pictures of different woods & builds on the website. Good luck.

NB

JeffEgg

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2020, 03:36 pm »
I have been looking at all the different designs for the baffles and I think I am going to design something that fits my midcentury style ranch house. More along the lines of a floorstanding monolith. I'll probably start by building a variation of the hinged plywood style that is on the Wild Burro website. I have some leftover 3/4 MDF from another speaker build that I can start with. Once I'm happy with the design and sound I can rebuild them in something nicer. My room is a rectangle, living room/ dining room. My speakers end up being about 12' apart and 12' from where we sit. I see most rooms where they are much closer together, I'll just have to see how it goes.

As far as amplification goes, I use a single ICEpower dual mono 200asc to power my front speakers now. I have ordered the parts to build another one but they are taking awhile. The amp board is on backorder from Parts Express and the case is on a slow boat from...
I have a Magnavox 175 67 sitting here on the dining room table next to me that if I ever get around to finishing, I'll give it try. 

If anyone cares to chime in, what is the one thing that really takes these up a notch? Woofers, subs, tweeters. I listen to mostly classic rock and jazz on vinyl. I've seen so may variations of OB's, which is great, I feel like you can really modify them to suit your own individual room, musical taste, whatever. 
Also, is it unheard of for these to work in a 5.1 system or am I reaching?
Thanks for the replies so far.

Budget_Mike

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2020, 01:35 pm »
Reviving a possibly dead topic!!!!

I was curious on the Betsy build on how it all went? Looking for potential builds for my open spaced living room with a great sound stage.