Help me with my XStatic Setup Please

petemoss

Help me with my XStatic Setup Please
« on: 15 Oct 2019, 12:17 am »
I have a pair of X-Static speakers set up in my living room.  THey are placed in probably the most non optimum location in the room but it is the only place i am "Allowed" to set them up.  I was noticing that the low end was sounding kind of boomy...before i had them on a Onkyo receiver and had run the auto eq function so probably did not notice it before.  I measured the response in the room and this is what i see...

Notice around 60 hz....and also the high freq roll off.

I am not very experienced with speaker placement and such so any suggestions to improve would be appreciated.  I did try two amps...a Tube amp and a denon stereo amp with no DSP and everything flat and the curves were virtually the same.

Here are some shots of the room and placement....

Early B.

Re: Help me with my XStatic Setup Please
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2019, 02:52 am »
That room and the setup has lots of problems -- sloped ceiling, speakers too close to the back wall, open fireplace in between the speakers, reflective surfaces (windows, mirrors and glass picture frames) everywhere, furniture in the way, etc. Speakers placed on the long wall probably doesn't help in this situation, either.

Not trying to piss on your parade, but you're gonna have massive issues with this room no matter what you attempt to do. It's time to pull rank and demand a man cave.   

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2019, 04:08 am »
I really didn't want to respond in this thread.   I have a pair of X-Statics, and they can be very good speakers. Sorry, but have to agree with Early.  If the primary emphasis is on decor, it will be hard to get better than mediocre sound from this room.  The least intrusive improvement would be a pair of bass traps in the front corners.  This would help with the 60 hz boom.  Better would be to move them to the wall with the old Victrola, install bass traps, put curtains on the wall behind the speakers.  I actually think that could make for a very good sound.  It comes down to how much flexibility you have with the decor.

petemoss

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2019, 12:02 pm »
THanks for chiming in.  I am fully aware that the room has just about every challenge available to it.  We just moved and while i have a smaller man cave with a surround system in it, these speakers would not do well there...it is way to small.  So it was basically use them here or keep them in the closet.  My wife actually likes the way they look as it is a conversation starter but as for moving the room around that is not going to happen.  I would rather use them than not...as it is i have the center channel stored away in the closet which makes me sad.  I suspect other than putting back in the receiver with some room corrections dsp i am pretty much stuck.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2019, 02:02 pm »
In spite of the room, they probably still sound pretty good.  Could they be better in a better room?  Sure.  But this is what you have to work with.  A couple things you can do that will help a lot and are decor-friendly - put curtains or roman shades on the windows, and replace the painting above the fireplace with a GIK art-panel.  You already have a large area rug on the floor and that's great. 

Another option would be to use fully OB speakers, I think the OB bass would be especially beneficial in your setup and would likely fix that bass hump.  GR Research has a few models that could work.  So does Spatial audio (with a very nice finish/aesthetic). 

A final option would be to get speakers that are made to be placed against the wall.  The latest Klipsch Heritage speakers would work well.  I have the Forte III in my 2nd system for precisely this reason - I can put them 3 inches from the wall and they still sound great. 

Anyway, congrats on the new house and good luck!

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2019, 02:29 pm »

A final option would be to get speakers that are made to be placed against the wall. 

I had the same thought.  Look into Ohm speakers.  Very attractive slim columns that are designed to be tight on the wall, and are also very easy on the eyes.  Never heard them personally but they are reported to sound great.

Some video reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ohm+speakers

https://ohmspeaker.com/speakers/

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2019, 03:03 pm »

"So it was basically use them here or keep them in the closet. "

Just use them as is.  The graph you posted really isn't horrible.  Move them out more when listening, them move them back when finished. 
Best of luck with it.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2019, 03:27 pm »
Here is an idea.

If you are using a PC as a source, and a music player that will work with VST plug-ins, or use Foobar2000, I highly recommend trying MathAudio Room EQ.  You just need a measurement mic like a Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB mic for measurements to run minimum phase room correction.  It has worked well for me in situations where the room is now ideal.

The Foobar2000 and the RoomEQ component are free downloads and the PC can make the measurements and run the room correction.  There are even ways to do analog sources, but that needs an ADC.  The latest minimum phase HiRez ADC's are incredibly good. 

I use this when I put systems in hotel rooms for demos and the difference it dramatic better with it running.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2019, 06:10 pm »

Just use them as is.  The graph you posted really isn't horrible.  Move them out more when listening, them move them back when finished. 
Best of luck with it.
This was my first thought as well - if you can get away with that much,

nickd

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2019, 11:38 pm »
The XStatics can sound good in a room like that. The problem is you are most likely sitting in a positive bass node close to that wall your couch is on. Almost all rooms have one or two. It's just not fun to sit and try and listen to music in one of those nodes.
good DSP room correction can help with that. Try a NAD amp with Dirac room correction. You can also install a sub and cross over the XStatics at 80hz. It will give you more control and the XStatics don't have much really low bass anyway.
Pulling the couch out 6"- 12" might help too. Put some sliders under the feet and slide it out when listening, only takes a minute. Probably as effective as moving the speakers.
Hope you find the sweet spot. Our XStatic's are still in use  many years after purchase in a family room. Pioneer receiver with room correction, HSU sub to give them some grunt and X-Omni's in the rear for surround. Most fun you can have for the money. 

petemoss

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2019, 12:37 am »
Wow...thanks for all the great suggestions....I really appreciate it.

I do have the matching AV123 MFW-15 Subwoofer that actually still works (V3 amp)...not the best sub but if i can get that hooked in to lob off the lows and fill it with the sub it could be good. 

As for full OB...that is my goal..most likely sell this setup and get into a Super-V or something like that.

I do pull the out the speakers and move that chair that is in the way when i listen.  Not ideal but ok.  And they do sound quite nice

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2019, 01:26 am »
I do have the matching AV123 MFW-15 Subwoofer that actually still works (V3 amp)...not the best sub but if i can get that hooked in to lob off the lows and fill it with the sub it could be good. 

I have the same sub on my HT system. Unhook the plate amp from the driver and power that sub with one of these:  https://www.parts-express.com/refurbished-dayton-audio-sa230-230w-subwoofer-amplifier--88-300-813

Significant improvement for a little bit of money.

Later on, rip out that driver and replace it with one of these:   https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390ho-4-15-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-469

Whoa!  Then throw an Auralex Subdude HT underneath it.

I did all of this several years ago and it's still going strong.

petemoss

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2019, 01:47 am »

Significant improvement for a little bit of money.

Just curious what improvements you found by replacing the amp over the stock amp?

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2019, 02:05 am »
Just curious what improvements you found by replacing the amp over the stock amp?

Cleaner bass, of course. Much better, actually.

Most plate amps are garbage. An exception is the Rythmik Audio A370 plate amp, and the price reflects it. The A370 costs as much as the MFW-15 when I bought it brand new.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2019, 11:11 pm »
I have a pair of X-Static speakers set up in my living room.  THey are placed in probably the most non optimum location in the room but it is the only place i am "Allowed" to set them up.  I was noticing that the low end was sounding kind of boomy...before i had them on a Onkyo receiver and had run the auto eq function so probably did not notice it before.  I measured the response in the room and this is what i see...

My first question is if the measurement is the left speaker or the right speaker?

Secondly, there is a LOT of room for improvement. You have nothing for room treatment. And the room is just as important as anything else in the system.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2019, 11:14 pm »
I had the same thought.  Look into Ohm speakers.  Very attractive slim columns that are designed to be tight on the wall, and are also very easy on the eyes.  Never heard them personally but they are reported to sound great.

Those are actually omni directional speakers. They have to be at least three feet away from any wall (not just the front wall).

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2019, 11:17 pm »
I have two suggestions.

1. figure out a way to hang some nice decorative absorbers on the wall right behind them.

2. Add an inline filter to your amp (if possible) to roll off the lower end. 

petemoss

« Reply #17 on: 28 Oct 2019, 06:01 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  I think i will try to put the high pass filter in going to the speakers ...say roll it off at 100 hz and then have the subwoofer take all that on.  I want to continue to use my tube amp for this which cant do this and has no dsp of course.  My sub is the av123 mfw-15 with the V3 and while it does have the adjustablel frequency control with inputs and output it doesn't have speaker level inputs or outputs...just line level inputs and outputs.   

I think my options here are ...

1-I guess i could use my DAC and feed the SW with line level...take the line output of the SW and go to the amp and just adjust volume with the DAC Remote.  This wont work in all cases for me as i have 2 sources in the amp.

2-Put a high pass set of components on each speaker line

3-Upgrade the SW or at least SW amp.

S Clark

« Reply #18 on: 28 Oct 2019, 06:42 pm »

Best of luck with it.
Nevermind. 
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2019, 05:52 pm by S Clark »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 28 Oct 2019, 08:49 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  I think i will try to put the high pass filter in going to the speakers ...say roll it off at 100 hz and then have the subwoofer take all that on.  I want to continue to use my tube amp for this which cant do this and has no dsp of course.  My sub is the av123 mfw-15 with the V3 and while it does have the adjustablel frequency control with inputs and output it doesn't have speaker level inputs or outputs...just line level inputs and outputs.   

I think my options here are ...

1-I guess i could use my DAC and feed the SW with line level...take the line output of the SW and go to the amp and just adjust volume with the DAC Remote.  This wont work in all cases for me as i have 2 sources in the amp.

2-Put a high pass set of components on each speaker line

3-Upgrade the SW or at least SW amp.

The high pass filter doesn't go on the speaker lines. It goes between the preamp and power amp.

A lot of times the line out connection on a subwoofer isn't very good.

If your preamp has two sets of outputs, you can connect one set to the inline filter which then goes to the power amp and connect the other set of preamp outs to the subwoofer.

If your preamp only has one set of outputs you can connect a male to two female Y connector to the preamp out then run one leg to the inline filter and the other to the sub. Another option would be to build the inline filter with two legs, one filtered and one by-pass. Connect the preamp to the filter input, the power amp to the filtered output, and the sub to the unfiltered by-pass output.

Mike