Beyerdynamics T90

adydula

• Restricted
Beyerdynamics T90
« on: 14 Oct 2019, 01:16 am »
Thought I would start a discussion area for these often overlooked headphones....

Many folks state these are treble heavy, shrill and sibilant...I have had my set for years now...

I find using them with a OTL tube amp they can be spectacular....a great set of headphones...

They give me clarity, a great soundstage, acticulate but have that nice little warmth on the low end IMO...makes the bass very musical.

They are one of the most comfortable set of dynamic headphones, maybe surpassed by those ultra light AKG 7xx series...

I recently replaces the earpads on mine with new ones from Beyerdynamic direct...didnt want to change a thing about its capabilities.

Been using these in my rotations for the past few days, the Focal Clears are sitting in their case wondering whats up!!!  :D

Using a Schitt Vahalla 2 OTL amp...wonderful pairing on high gain setting....works very well with the BH Crack and Mainline....

They have been replaced by the Amirons...sigh.

Alex

dB Cooper

Re: Beyerdynamics T90
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2019, 09:37 am »

They have been replaced by the Amirons...sigh.

Alex

Don't knock the Amirons, they're a great headphone and a great value IMHO. Have you heard them?

If the T90's put a smile on your face, great; that's all that matters.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2019, 11:55 am »
Good Morning...

Hey db Cooper, its not that the Amirons arent good, I am sure they are, its just the nostalgic feeling that a good headphone thats been around
for so long is no longer available.

Samething with the Senn 650, 660s....both good...time moves on.

:D

Hope some folks that have Amirons will chime in and tell us their comparison betweem the T90 and Amiron.

Alex

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2019, 01:13 pm »
I owned the T90's and found them excellent in every category.  The combination of smoothness, dynamics, detail, and comfort were hard to beat.  When I culled my collection down a few years ago it was a hard decision to let them go, one I regret to this day.  At the end it was only economic in that I could get more for them than a set of HiFiman 400i's, which have plummeted in the used market now that HiFiman has deeply discounted them.  (Their policy of cutting the legs out from under former owners will come back to bite then, but is a topic for another thread). The T90's are still highly recommended on the used market.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2019, 07:39 pm »
I have listened to the T90's (although not extensively) and my impression is that the Amirons strike a balance between smoothness and detail that eludes the other Tesla-driver models I've heard. Supposedly there were changes made to reduce high-frequency resonances in the drivers- maybe that's why? Presumably those improvements will be appearing in the other models soon, if they haven't already.

All the full-size Beyers are more comfortable (again IMO) than any of the recent Sennheisers I've tried. Too bad, Senn used to rule the comfort roost for me.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2019, 09:27 pm »
Yes the clamping force with my HD600's is a bit tight....the beyers are indeed much more comfortable to me.

Supposedly the HD800's are much more comfortable?

Alex

Big Hendy

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2019, 03:53 pm »
Well, in talking about classics, I have a pair of the Sennheiser 660s that I absolutely love.  I also have the Hifi Man 400s - which are nice, but my go to cans are the 660s.  That said, I have had friends with the T90s and have often thought if I were to pick up a third pair, that would be the way to go.  I have found the sound to be somewhat similar to Sennheisers and attributed it to German engineer.  If my 660s ever give out, I am confident that I will acquire a pair of Beyers

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2019, 07:37 pm »
I think the 650's and 660s are great, but the soundstage with my 600's are not as wide as the T90 for me....

The comfort level is also better for me with the T90's....

Different flavors to be sure....both seem to pair well with my OTL amps...

Alex