The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

pwag

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #820 on: 14 Oct 2019, 07:13 pm »
http://www.pathaudio.eu/

The use of copper tubing allows to drain interferences and this is why we used the third long leadout. It's connected only to the casing, having no contact with the signal transmitted by the resistor. The third leadout should be joined to the ground or "-" speaker input.

mikeeastman

« Reply #821 on: 14 Oct 2019, 07:28 pm »
Here a pic of my x-over lets start there.

So the 2 short wires connect same as the resistor now, the long wire goes to?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #822 on: 14 Oct 2019, 07:32 pm »
The 2 short wires on the Path audio are your leads, just like on any other resistor.  The longer, more flexible wire is a shield drain.  You can connect it if you want to, but you don't have to.  Supposedly it's a little more quiet, if you connect it.  I connected mine to the negative wiring in the crossover. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #823 on: 14 Oct 2019, 07:36 pm »
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Tyson

« Reply #824 on: 15 Oct 2019, 04:58 pm »
Mike, I see you have Jupiters bypassed with the Miflix caps.  I've been thinking about bypassing my Jupiter caps too.  How do they sound?  Was it a noticeable improvement over running the Jupiters without a bypass?

mikeeastman

« Reply #825 on: 15 Oct 2019, 06:02 pm »
I had Sonicap Platinums as bypass caps before. The Miflix were a definite  improvement, more detail and more dynamic. I think you'll like the difference.

As you know with these speaker every change can be heard.

Tyson

« Reply #826 on: 18 Nov 2019, 12:51 am »
I found some pure silver speaker wire in my storage closet and decided to use them for the subs on my Super 7s.  Ordered some new speakOn connectors that had gold plating instead of the steel connectors I had before. 

Got everything in and assembled today.  Hooked it up and.... wow, the lower mids are MUCH clearer and way better integrated with the mid panels. 

It was a bit surprising how much affect it had on the mids, but then again considering how high the subs play up to, it actually makes sense. 

Anyway, lesson learned - the cabling on the subs matters.  If you have generic wire on your subs, try out something better, you might be surprised!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #827 on: 18 Nov 2019, 03:17 am »
Are your silver cables solid core or stranded?  Also, what guage and insulation type?  Just curious. 

I was considering wiring mine with 3’ runs of Kimber 12TC.  Well, I was when I was working.  Have to find a job before I can do anything new to my rig.

Captainhemo

« Reply #828 on: 18 Nov 2019, 05:33 pm »
Burning in some of the new copper caps being offered at GR Research here.
Started with the  high pas  filter, have them bypasses with  Miflex  coppers as well.
Getting close to 100 hrs, letting them  play continuously.
Could hear the potential right  out of the gate, more dtail  and depth  but   they were "crsipy" , not overly   enjoyable.

Seem to be improving  quite  a bit now... need some more hours

jay

Tyson

« Reply #829 on: 18 Nov 2019, 05:38 pm »
Are your silver cables solid core or stranded?  Also, what guage and insulation type?  Just curious. 

I was considering wiring mine with 3’ runs of Kimber 12TC.  Well, I was when I was working.  Have to find a job before I can do anything new to my rig.

Solid Core.  16ga I think.  Based on listening tests, I've not lost and volume or extension going from 12ga generic copper to 16ga pure silver.  I'll pull out my FFT analyzer and run some test tones through the system this afternoon to confirm. 

Tyson

« Reply #830 on: 18 Nov 2019, 05:40 pm »
Burning in some of the new copper caps being offered at GR Research here.
Started with the  high pas  filter, have them bypasses with  Miflex  coppers as well.
Getting close to 100 hrs, letting them  play continuously.
Could hear the potential right  out of the gate, more dtail  and depth  but   they were "crsipy" , not overly   enjoyable.

Seem to be improving  quite  a bit now... need some more hours

jay

I had that style copper cap in the midrange and tweeter position for a long time, and recently bypassed both of them with small Miflex caps.  As great as the big pure copper caps were, using the Miflex to bypass them DEFINITELY improved clarity and focus, particularly in the lower mids. 

SteveKi

« Reply #831 on: 22 Nov 2019, 01:40 pm »
Built a new crossover. More detail is the immediate result. Have to get some hours on it now.

Jupiter capacitors, Miflex bypass capacitors and Jantzen inductors.
Steve

« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2019, 04:08 pm by SteveKi »

AKLegal

« Reply #832 on: 22 Nov 2019, 05:52 pm »
Built a new crossover. More detail is the immediate result. Have to get some hours on it now.

Jupiter capacitors, Miflex bypass capacitors and Jantzen inductors.
Steve

I could never find those large gauge Jantzen wax foils in stock anywhere.  I ended up going with some Mundorfs.   

maty

« Reply #833 on: 22 Nov 2019, 06:12 pm »
Today I have received the Miflex KPCU-01 0.022uF that I want to use to replace the styroflex that I added in my small coaxials. And Mills 5 watt resistors.

The current bypass was an improvement, I hope that these expensive Miflex are another. If not, I will also say so.

Tyson

« Reply #834 on: 22 Nov 2019, 07:04 pm »
I could never find those large gauge Jantzen wax foils in stock anywhere.  I ended up going with some Mundorfs.   

Parts express will special order any value you need.

SteveKi

« Reply #835 on: 22 Nov 2019, 07:25 pm »

I ordered from hificollective in the UK. 4 week wait for the 1mh and 3mh. Ordered in July and finally got around to putting it together last week. Too cold now to do a second coat of paint. Then I need to screw down the drivers tighter.
Steve

mikeeastman

« Reply #836 on: 20 Dec 2019, 08:38 pm »
I just upgrade my Super7s. I rewired the hi and mids with Neotech Gold/Silver wire  covered in Techflex , ( what a PITA the Techflex is to work with, won’t use that agin ) and replaced the bypass caps and resistors on the notch filters with  Miflex caps and PathAudio resistors.

I also made a new set of speaker cables using a combination of Neotech Gold/Silver and Neotech Silver wire covered in cotton sleeving.

Tyson

« Reply #837 on: 20 Dec 2019, 08:41 pm »
I just upgrade my Super7s. I rewired the hi and mids with Neotech Gold/Silver wire  covered in Techflex , ( what a PITA the Techflex is to work with, won’t use that agin ) and replaced the bypass caps and resistors on the notch filters with  Miflex caps and PathAudio resistors.

I also made a new set of speaker cables using a combination of Neotech Gold/Silver and Neotech Silver wire covered in cotton sleeving.

How does it sound?

mikeeastman

« Reply #838 on: 20 Dec 2019, 08:55 pm »
Just started to burn in, not done any critical listening yet, I like to give it at least a couple days burn in first.

mikeeastman

« Reply #839 on: 21 Dec 2019, 12:35 am »
OK Tyson you twisted my arm. :lol:    I listen to 5 songs that I’m very familiar with and my first impressions are:

There is more detail and it’s cleaner and more defined. The sound stage got bigger and more filled in and a little wider with nicer separation. I kind of expected the above to some degree but what I found surprising was the mid bass has much more impact.

I’ll let it burn in a couple of more days and report back.