AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: UPDATED: 🍒 Maraschino, x-CHerry, and MEGAschino REVIEWS
« Reply #200 on: 15 Jul 2019, 03:08 pm »
2-CHerry review by RonN5:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164693.0

"For me the implications are that if you want your home audio system to sound more like live music then you might want to stop looking for liquidity, dimensionality, detail, and low end or at least prioritize components that can deliver clarity, tonal accuracy and dynamics.  The 2Cherry is at the top of the class in this department."

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Brief thoughts on 5-CHerry
« Reply #201 on: 16 Jul 2019, 09:02 pm »
"I am still blown away by the audio quality of your amp. It surpasses everything I expected from it....playing it with the JTR 212RT speakers in full range...."

Jerry S, Illinois USA

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
48V STM driving Zu Omen mk2 (DW+)
« Reply #202 on: 17 Jul 2019, 05:09 pm »
"....the synergy with the Dirty Weekends is SPECTACULAR. Like I have said, I have gone through many amps over the past almost two years, since owning the Dirty Weekends and the STM is a game ending amp for my two channel system...."

"With this STM, my ZU's jumped to life! Like they were supercharged or on steroids. And it's just not dynamics an sheer impact. The minute details and resolution I am getting with this amp is stunning me. I was listening yesterday to songs I thought I knew well, and was like what was that? Remix? New instrument in the song I have never heard before?"

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154805.msg1751508#msg1751508

xbluex

2-cherry
« Reply #203 on: 2 Aug 2019, 10:56 am »
I received my 2-Cherry many weeks ago and upon feeling the well packed box (it was light)  I thought "Oh-oh"..."There is no way this little box will make me grin." But once everything was connected to my Martin Logan Motion 40's and Benchmark USB DAC1 and I hit play off of some favorite saved Tidal tracks spanning from jazz to blues to electronica, there I was grinning ear to ear saying "Oh-oh" again. These things sing and allow music to come alive! There’s a responsive low end and an impressive spacial ‘image’, especially in the upper ranges. The upper end is very crisp and yet natural – not at all harsh. The dynamics are better than I have heard from any amp I’ve been able to either own or play around with. I admit that I don't understand all of the audiophile terms used today just as I don't understand the terminologies used to describe wines or craft beers. I just know what I like and I am absolutely stunned at what this little amp can do. In cooler months, I like to enjoy a tube amplifier for some music, but I am not missing the power hungry and room broiling tubes at all right now even if we were having nice and cool weather because this amp has been impressing me non-stop since it arrived. I will likely contradict myself again by summing it up by stating, the Two-Cherry is transparent yet musical at the same time. It just sounds great no matter what its cranking out! One day I hope to have the pleasure of listening through the Maraschino's.

AvsFan

Re: 2-cherry
« Reply #204 on: 2 Aug 2019, 03:10 pm »
I received my 2-Cherry many weeks ago and upon feeling the well packed box (it was light)  I thought "Oh-oh"..."There is no way this little box will make me grin." But once everything was connected to my Martin Logan Motion 40's and Benchmark USB DAC1 and I hit play off of some favorite saved Tidal tracks spanning from jazz to blues to electronica, there I was grinning ear to ear saying "Oh-oh" again. These things sing and allow music to come alive! There’s a responsive low end and an impressive spacial ‘image’, especially in the upper ranges. The upper end is very crisp and yet natural – not at all harsh. The dynamics are better than I have heard from any amp I’ve been able to either own or play around with. I admit that I don't understand all of the audiophile terms used today just as I don't understand the terminologies used to describe wines or craft beers. I just know what I like and I am absolutely stunned at what this little amp can do. In cooler months, I like to enjoy a tube amplifier for some music, but I am not missing the power hungry and room broiling tubes at all right now even if we were having nice and cool weather because this amp has been impressing me non-stop since it arrived. I will likely contradict myself again by summing it up by stating, the Two-Cherry is transparent yet musical at the same time. It just sounds great no matter what its cranking out! One day I hope to have the pleasure of listening through the Maraschino's.

Another happy DAC owner! Nice! I have had my Stereo Maraschino and DAC DAC HS1 for a few weeks myself. And even though Tommy had me expecting big things with his equipment, when I got the packaage and new there was a DAC, an amp and power supply in there, I was like this is light. And then when I opened it and took out the amp and DAC, once again, due to the size and weight, was like this isn't going to make full, beautiful, lush music with any authority or weight. It's just human nature to think that way. The amp is tiny and weighs nothing. And when compared to some of the 50lb behemoth Class A/B amps I have owned, well I was in the camp of size and weight=quality and brute power. So when I finally got everything hooked up and had some familiar and demanding music playing, I was shocked with the weight and authority of the sound. I couldn't believe all of that music was coming out of that tiny box. I have VERY easy to drive and efficient ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends, so a lot of amps sound good with them, but this is the first time I have ever heard them play with this kind of authority. The bass, well it's well defined fast and tight and it controls the 10 inch drivers in a way no other amp has. With the other amps I have used, it sounded like a signal was sent to the speaker and the ZU's took over from there and did what they wanted, not the case with the STM. It controls the ZU's and tells them what they are going to do. In other words it's got a firm control and handling of these speakers. It's not just the power and authority but the rich and organic sound quality I am hearing is beautiful. Very detailed and resolving but not etched or bright or digital sounding. Very smooth. I am starting to write a book here and have to get back to work. But in the near future, I plan on doing a thorough review. I am going to wait until I get the 60v power supply though, as I am running the 48v one now.

But glad to see another satisfied DAC owner! Tommy has worked some magic with these electronics!   

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Cherry Stereo Maraschino 2ch Amplifier VIDEO Review
« Reply #206 on: 15 Oct 2019, 03:25 pm »
More than 2000 views in 4 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=920S0TYJ_AU

Here's Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucju4sM9osU&t=7s

A review of the STM (Stereo Maraschino) was in the comments:
"I have been waiting patiently for your feedback after a couple of months and finally got it! And if you remember my post in your unboxing video, I was close to pulling the trigger. Well after a few emails and phone conversations with Tommy, I pulled the trigger. Not only on the STM but his DAC DAC HS1 as well. And boy, I am sure happy that I took that leap of faith. The music, the absolute pure music coming from this small compact system is superb! Jaw dropping actually. Everything, and I mean everything you said was spot on. I have owned mine now for a little over a month. I initially got it to pair with my new Magnepan LRS’s but tried out my ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends with it and I was blown away. With my ZU’s, I felt a lot like you do with your Klipsch’s, with all the systems I have had the ZU’s hooked up to, they sounded great at all volume levels but they sounded beat when turned up. The ZU’s can play loud with 0 distortion, they love to get up there in higher db’s. And man do they ever do that with the STM. But what really struck me is I was up early one weekend, everyone else in the house was asleep so I listened at low levels and couldn’t believe what I heard and how much I enjoyed the music even at low levels. All the dynamics were still there and the resolution and details I was hearing in my music, well I haven’t heard that before. Like you said, the STM, it gets out of the way and let’s all the minor details and nuances in music shine right through. It’s musical, organic and just rich. Lush and rich, the low level musical foundation in the bass region is just perfect. I myself plan to do an in depth review on bot AudioKarma and AudioCircle. I just wanted to give myself time to digest everything I am hearing. Not jump the gun. Plus I have the 48v Version, Tommy is sending me the 60v version soon. So I really want to compare and review both power supplies. But saying I’m impressed is an understatement. And because of the size and weight, people dismiss the STM as a lightweight Class D digital amp, and they can get a digital amp off of Amazon for $100. But if it were huge 50lb mono block amps, people would say $1200 and $1700 is a great value. Well I am in the camp of $1200 for the sound I am getting is a great value. I have heard two channel amps that cost twice the price of the STM that didn’t sound nearly as good. So don’t judge this amp by it’s diminutive size and weight and brush it off. Because it’s sound is surely not diminutive."

-Jeff Adams

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Cherry Stereo Maraschino 2ch Amplifier VIDEO Review
« Reply #207 on: 15 Oct 2019, 03:29 pm »
More than 2000 views in 4 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=920S0TYJ_AU

Here's Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucju4sM9osU&t=7s

A Maraschino Monoblock review was in the comments:
"I have had the Maraschino mono block amps going on for two years now. Prior to that I have owned numerous tube amps and a couple of pretty decent solid state amps too. The Maraschino’s are hands down easily the most musical tone rich amps I have heard. There isn’t a trace hardness or coloration. Details are nuanced without emphasis or stridency. The sound is immediate, natural and perfectly balanced. They can drive difficult loads without issue and they always remain cool no matter how loud and long you listen. I still shake my head and smile every time I listen.

Prior to the Maraschino’s I was a Class D skeptic, but a couple of friends said I need to check these out. I remember unpacking them and thinking what a joke! Chances are you will too, especially if you try the inline version which literally can hang from the back of your speaker terminals. No kidding, you have to see it to believe it! However expectations about how big and heavy an amplifier should be notwithstanding, once I had plugged them in and started playing music these small light weight devices caused my speakers to sing like they never sang before. It was an epiphany and a turning point in my 45 year long quest to attain the best possible sound quality."

-Joe Schlabotnick

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #208 on: 15 Oct 2019, 05:18 pm »
I received this message over the weekend:

Tommy,

Hello sir!! If you have forgotten, I am the guy stationed here in Saudi Arabia one in which you took the time to coach, teach and work with in regards to purchasing one of your amplifiers ( Mega...).

Tommy at first I was fraught with concern if I had made the right purchase or wasted time and money on more online hype. And I’m here to say from first listen, first note, to the last song I listened to before returning here again, I really lack the words to convey just how thoroughly happy I am in my decision to do business with you. I understand that you’re busy, but I had to let you know that I now belong to DAC, nothing else will do. And here’s the beauty of it all, and I hope you don’t mind, but I had mentioned I am in need of a preamp worthy of mating with my Cherry, so while I was cruising Audiogon in search thereof, came across a STM for sale, one in which I’m awaiting its arrival here as I write this. I’m totally in love with the work of your hands, and I look forward to your assisting me with a purchase of one of your DAC DACs. So once funds are in order I will be contacting you again. I truly wish you had preamps to choose from, but that’s just my personal desire. Tommy thank you so very much, I truly believe I could not have purchased anything better or anything that would bring me to smile like I did within the many moments spent listing to the best there is, Cherry amplifiers. God Bless!!!

Truly in Awe,
James F

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Great ILM review !! -- Driving Revel M20s
« Reply #209 on: 18 Oct 2019, 02:39 am »
"I just want to say that I love the ILMs I got off of a friend. They are truly amazing sounding to me. The detail, airiness, extended highs, bass slam is exceptional. I have them hanging off the back of my Revel M20s.

Thanks for such a neat little amp 8^).

Finest kind,
Chris"

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #210 on: 14 Jan 2020, 12:26 am »
Although not considered a "full review", we get messages frequently from customers telling us how they love their Cherry Amps or DACs!

One such email came in a few days ago, and the message was simply....
Subject: 2-CHerry

We love receiving messages like these!  Makes all the hard work feel very fulfilling.

Sometimes we are just too busy to do all the things we want aside from building and shipping orders.  One of those things we sometimes don't get around to is asking for permission to post such comments.  Most come from emails, some from texts, and once in a while, a customer will post on Audio Circle directly.

M41A

« Reply #211 on: 27 Jan 2020, 01:49 am »
I bought the MEGAschino monos about 2 months ago and thought I would add my $0.02.
The first question everyone has is "how does it sound"?. The following is my opinion of the MEGAschino.
I can best describe the sound of each of the amps I own in terms of water.
The SET is like fruit infused water, very tasty and changing tubes changes the flavor.
The CLASS A is like my favorite bottled water refreshing but it has it's own unique a taste that's not found in the other brands.
The MEGAschino is distilled water (ultra pure is the live experience), no taste ie no flavor to disguise upstream or downstream problems.

So now I will talk about my MEGAs experience.
I had planned to write a review of the amp on AudioCircle a month ago. I now realize it would have been a review of what I had before the MEGAs.
I know over the past few years I have purchase cable, tubes and other equipment to complement what I already had. Trying to drop the MEGAs in a spot 5 years in the making for another amp and writing a review made no sense at all.
When I moved from my SET amps to the class A SS I knew and accepted the fact that system changes had to be made, speakers, cable AND some aural adjustment. I knew there was a difference between tubes and SS.
I now KNOW I made a mistake thinking I could evaluate the MEGAs by simply replacing my class A amps. I have spent nearly everyday of the last 2 months trying to reach the sound quality limits of the amps. Yesterday I made a couple of tweaks to my CD player and the music was so moving I got up and shut it off. Today I listened again but this time to OLD RE-RE-recorded stuff (Brasil 66) and my brain could not process all the new detail I heard so I shut it off again.
This journey has convinced me that the MEGAs does not hold it's place at the very highest level because the "drop-in" review is totally inadequate, you only hear problems everywhere else in your system. In my case I found issues with my CD player, it needed a real PC and better isolation.
My advice for a new Cherry buyer is, buying a Cherry amp is like buying a villa on the French Rivera and furnishing it with stuff from your lake house, it works but it deserves better.

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #212 on: 28 Jan 2020, 08:43 pm »
Loving my beautiful red Megaschino MKII amp!

RonN5

« Reply #213 on: 29 Jan 2020, 03:03 pm »
M41 said "My advice for a new Cherry buyer is, buying a Cherry amp is like buying a villa on the French Rivera and furnishing it with stuff from your lake house, it works but it deserves better".

My concern with this statement is that some may read it as "yes, the Cherry amp is great, but it will make you frustrated with the rest of your system".

Au Contraire....After a few weeks of having a Cherry amp in your system, it is likely that you will just shake your head, smile and think to yourself..."I just can't believe how good my system sounds".

And if, later on, you decide to try a different source or a different dac or different speakers, you will know that your system already sounds really good so any other changes that result in additional smiles will be easily discernible. 

Do not think of a Cherry amp as something that will cause you frustration with the rest of your system but as something that will enhance what you have and make it sound much better.

After almost 9 months with a 2Cherry in my system, I am still shocked by how good it sounds.  Will I make changes to my system in the months to come?  Probably, because trying new stuff can be fun too...but not because I'm unhappy with my current system...it's never sounded better....and the 2Cherry is staying!

jonbee

« Reply #214 on: 29 Jan 2020, 03:20 pm »
 I've had 3 cherry amps in my 3 systems and adding them always was a net plus. They never made anything sound worse.
It did encourage me to look at other components because I had greater visibility on their contributions to the performance.

M41A

« Reply #215 on: 30 Jan 2020, 03:42 am »
RonN5, My Von Schweikert VR5 Ann. MKII  are revealing the Megas have more to tell me so I will continue my quest to find the "no change" point.
I believe that even at $+13K the Megas are a steal, they certainly humbled my +180LB (12year old) class A amps. That is a feat no other amp has done in 12 years and I have been active looking.
In our hobby we each have to decide when good is good enough.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #216 on: 6 Feb 2020, 01:12 pm »
We just received a nice compliment....

"....Your amps and the Dac Dac i HS are incredible by the way. I've been at this hobby for almost 2 decades and have had more overpriced gear in than I care to remember. The only thing I will need is a preamp to be ale to control other sources. Do you guys sell a preamp? If not, recommendations are welcome. Thanks,"

David S
Atlanta GA

So, any preamp suggestions?  Here is a list of threads with comments about preamps:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155183.msg1661482#msg1661482

Wind Chaser

« Reply #217 on: 6 Feb 2020, 04:40 pm »
So, any preamp suggestions?

Sumoking can’t say enough about passive preamps.  :wink:

Perhaps this is an area DAC can consider - a high quality dual mono passive pre with balanced and single ended ins and outs that can be independently selected so that only one set of outputs can be selected at a time. This would allow a person to listen to headphones (via separate headphone amp) without the power amps feeding the speakers.

And speaking of a headphone amp, how about one capable of driving two sets of headphones with independent VCs?  :D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #218 on: 11 Feb 2020, 07:21 am »
Received a nice compliment yesterday:

“Found a 60v Maraschino....  I did not think anything could outperform the 4800a-was I wrong.  Amazing little amp.”

Jerry M
Redding CA

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Throwback Review -- from 2006!
« Reply #219 on: 12 Feb 2020, 04:42 am »
DAC 4800-A STEREO AMPLIFIER
July 2006

The amplifier itself is a straightforward design using patented switching amp modules featuring CLDjam, a closed loop design. (See their web for full description). It is equipped with an on/off switch, 15A breaker, xlr input, binding posts and removable IEC plug on the rear of the unit. The AC plug is terminated directly on the PCB board. Inside everything is neat and well laid out with a 750v torroidal transformer (a 1500v is now offered as an upgrade). The amp has thermal, shorted, voltage and over current protection, which are indicated on the front of the unit with led’s for each channel. Between them a standby / operate switch.
   This review was conducted in a minimalist system being fed by a Resolution Audio cd55 player with analogue volume control, thru VandenHul the second carbon fiber interconnects to the amplifier and finally to diy 8’ axon cables feeding the custom made monitors using the same Seas aluminum mid woofer as Joseph Audio RM 7’s, an excel tweeter and the crossover design by Dennis Murphy and 1.5” thick, braced walls on heavy 24”steel stands.
The DAC is rated at 350w into 8ohms and almost 700w at 4ohms.The speakers are 87db efficient and are 6ohm nominal. The DAC is a very powerful, yet efficient (97%), amplifier and will play very low notes, below 20z, with authority, detail and a vise like grip on the woofer. The treble never sounds strident, on all but the worst recordings.  It’s sonic signature is a natural sounding timbre, very detailed, both micro and macro, with excellent speed, pace and rhythm. The decay is very believable, while the attack and dynamics have to be heard, to be believed! Its sound lies somewhere in between solid state and tube amplification.

Rob Wasserman’s Duets “Angel Eyes” is a great piece to test the dynamic capability of amplifier/speaker. The plucked notes are very detailed and clear, with a woody quality. Cheryl Bentyne’s voice has been captured with extreme dynamics. The DAC presents this with incredible force without giving up any of the hall reverb effects and various cues from the plucked bass, or sounding stressed.
Ani Difranco’s steely sounding guitar in “Garden of Simple” has crisp transients with great decay, while “So What” has a very deep, detailed and punchy bass line.
Ben Harpers “Fight for your mind” title song, as well as “Burn one down” portrays the drums with excellent speed and timbre. Impressive!
The Trinity Session by Cowboy Junkies has some subsonic background noise, which requires a powerful but detailed amplifier to create the proper balance of foundation for Margo Timmins solo in “Mining for gold”. When the second track fades in you can really notice the absence of background noise and the musical canvas once again becomes totally black and silent.
Patricia Barbers Modern Cool has a variety of well-recorded music. The “Company” song at 2:45 offers an incredible drum solo. The DAC makes this song very exciting with incredible speed and dynamics. But his doesn’t come at the cost of accurate timbre. Rather a believable and crystal clear window of the original event is presented.
Is the DAC 4800-A for you? While the amp does not posses that warm, liquid, syrupy sound of a single ended triode, it is similar to an ultra linear tube design in sound. It also does not sound like typical transistor output devices. Its strengths are in delicate, detailed sound with lots of punch and authority. From top to bottom, I am not aware of any tube amp that can compete with the bass authority of the DAC at double the cost. The sound stage and imaging are good, but for the ultimate, will benefit by the aid of a tube, somewhere in the chain. I am presently pursuing this with a tube preamp or tube buffer and passive volume. A little more depth and width are always welcome. If you need the power, at $1499.00us, this amp must be considered a bargain. The build is a little utilitarian. Solid to be sure. It looks like a workhorse, but the minute you listen to it, you realize it is a magnificent show horse.

Gary Trautmann
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2020, 10:16 am by AmpDesigner333 »