GTG at Zybar's on July 25th

rydenfan

Re: GTG at Zybar's on July 25th
« Reply #40 on: 26 Jul 2009, 02:14 am »
Anyone care to comment on the Parasound pre versus the Plinius?

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #41 on: 26 Jul 2009, 01:40 pm »
The Parasound was not warmed up prior to listening. The music thorough the Parasound sounded a bit technicolor to my ears. The bass was a bit stronger, at least in the 30-60 hz range but the midrange and treble seemed slightly forward with a slight metallic tinge. In particular, I thought the Parasound's presentation complimented Jeff Beck's techno Dancing With Line Monkeys but David Gilmour'a On an Island sounded more transparent and ethereal with the Plinius. Not that the Plinius was laid back in anyway. The last tracks played were classical and sounded very decent but I have no basis to compare as I did not hear these through the Plinius. Perhaps Doug can share his opinion.

Thanks George for your hospitality. I always come away with a few ideas I want to try on my system. I missed the whole Emerald Physics period but the Vandersteens are sounding grand and more open than I recall in the last system (Squeezebox, Burson Buffers, Bella amps). I suspect a good part of this is attributable to the wonderful Atma Sphere amps and increased room treatments.

Bob

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #42 on: 26 Jul 2009, 02:17 pm »
The Parasound was not warmed up prior to listening. The music thorough the Parasound sounded a bit technicolor to my ears. The bass was a bit stronger, at least in the 30-60 hz range but the midrange and treble seemed slightly forward with a slight metallic tinge. In particular, I thought the Parasound's presentation complimented Jeff Beck's techno Dancing With Line Monkeys but David Gilmour'a On an Island sounded more transparent and ethereal with the Plinius. Not that the Plinius was laid back in anyway. The last tracks played were classical and sounded very decent but I have no basis to compare as I did not hear these through the Plinius. Perhaps Doug can share his opinion.

Thanks George for your hospitality. I always come away with a few ideas I want to try on my system. I missed the whole Emerald Physics period but the Vandersteens are sounding grand and more open than I recall in the last system (Squeezebox, Burson Buffers, Bella amps). I suspect a good part of this is attributable to the wonderful Atma Sphere amps and increased room treatments.

Bob

Bob,

The Parasound was on all day, but didn't have any music playing through it.

The bass was definitely stronger and more pronounced with the Parasound in the lower regions than the Plinius.  On some ballsy rock and blues, this really is a nice addition.

Unfortunately, you are also correct in stating that the mid-range of the Plinius is more open and less colored than the Parasound.  There is also just the slightest haze (maybe what you were calling a metallic twinge?) that is there and impacts things.

I will do more listening today and try to post later on the JC2.

The Vandy 5A / Atma-Sphere MA-1 combo is the real deal and is definitely the main reason for the improvement.

George 

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #43 on: 26 Jul 2009, 02:34 pm »

George

See if you think this haze diminishes after the unit is played for a while? I think my ears may have become hyper-sensitive after watching the same scene a dozen times from The Fifth Element with its aggressive audio track on the HT system.

Bob

Ericus Rex

« Reply #44 on: 27 Jul 2009, 11:45 am »
Thanks for the GTG, George!

I had no prior experience with OTL amps and yours ROCK!

sts9fan

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jul 2009, 12:24 pm »
Good times!

Thanks for having us.

Kris

mcgsxr

« Reply #46 on: 27 Jul 2009, 12:40 pm »
George, how are you finding the OB subs?  I have never tried to integrate OB subs with conventional speakers, can you comment?

I run all OB, and like it, but always interested to hear what others think.

Thanks!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 27 Jul 2009, 01:42 pm »

George

See if you think this haze diminishes after the unit is played for a while? I think my ears may have become hyper-sensitive after watching the same scene a dozen times from The Fifth Element with its aggressive audio track on the HT system.

Bob

The Parasound JC 2 has gotten cleaner in the mid-range and is a very nice preamp.  I don't know if it will replace the Plinius M8, but I definitely enjoyed listening to it for many hours yesterday.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #48 on: 27 Jul 2009, 01:43 pm »
George, how are you finding the OB subs?  I have never tried to integrate OB subs with conventional speakers, can you comment?

I run all OB, and like it, but always interested to hear what others think.

Thanks!

I am still having a few issues and need to talk to Danny.

I am not yet ready to comment on the OB subs until I get things ironed out.

George

madfloyd

« Reply #49 on: 27 Jul 2009, 04:20 pm »
Just wanted to say a belated thank you to George for hosting as well as say it was great meeting you guys.

Ian

stereocilia

« Reply #50 on: 28 Jul 2009, 01:00 am »
Sincere thanks, George. It's been said but worth repeating, you are truly a gracious host.  You've honed your system to sound even better than when I first heard it, a feat which I would have hardly thought possible at the time.  Well done!

I very much enjoyed meeting with everyone and talking to you all.