Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!

dminches

Re: Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2017, 08:44 pm »
SamS at SH Forums (an Oppo beta tester) has suggested that the BDP 205 may be just a little more upscale than the Sonica, in terms of sound quality.  That may not matter if the post-DAC circuit is changing anyway.

Did he actually say that?  He said they may have a few tricks up their sleeve.  Has he actually listened to both side by side?  Maybe I missed that thread.

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jan 2017, 08:52 pm »
I agree that I am a bit surprised to hear this.  The DAC is their dedicated music device.  I would expect it to be at least the equal of the 205.  To be honest, I would be surprised if the DAC and analog circuit are actually any different at all.  The main difference as I see it would be the power supplies.

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #22 on: 16 Jan 2017, 10:58 pm »
Did he actually say that?  He said they may have a few tricks up their sleeve.  Has he actually listened to both side by side?  Maybe I missed that thread.

I posted "suggested" and "may".  That could hardly be less definite or clear.  He may know something, some features of the design may not be finalized, or maybe Oppo just wants to increase anticipation, who knows. I think his point was that the Sonica and the 205, despite using the same DAC chip, may (emphasize may) have some differences in implementation.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #23 on: 16 Jan 2017, 11:45 pm »
You can see the inerds of the Sonica on their site;

https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/sonica-dac-Images.aspx

It uses both a switched mode power supply for everything but the analog board.  The toroid is for the analog board.....just like in the 105.  This is not going to sound very good stock.....needs a lot of work.  I am pretty sure the 205 will be the same.  These new Oppos will keep us modders busy for awhile.  When the Sonica was first announced I emailed Oppo to see if DSD512 would be supported as all the first reports were that it could only do DSD256.  I told them all of my customers (slight exaggeration) would not buy anything unless it has DSD512 as we are all (he he) moving over to HQPlayer with upsampling.....well, guess what, the new Sonica can do DSD512.  Helps to push people sometimes.

modwright

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2017, 07:04 pm »
Thanks for sharing Ric!

It is as I expected, but I am surprised to see the SMPS there.  The analog and digital stage look virtually identical to that in the players.  The DAC is pin-compatible, so they would not re-invent the wheel.

There is a WiFi card inside of course as part of the streaming connectivity.

I am still surprised by the SMPS.  In the video players, the video takes a HUGE amount of current, hence the decision to use a SMPS.  I expected that they would just take the digital supplies from the LPS.  Again, my guess is that they moved the analog stage, PS and all, from the player to the DAC and kept the DAC supplies the same also, from the SMPS.

Definitely room for improvement!

Dan

kbuzz3

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2017, 02:41 am »
A modded sonica would be very very interesting

Syrah

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2017, 02:28 pm »
Do they both use the ESS9038Pro?

Dan - I was about to order a DAC to replace my Chord.  I will hold off to see what you can do with the Sonica.  +1 for interested.

modwright

« Reply #27 on: 19 Jan 2017, 03:41 pm »
Yes, they both use the new SABRE DAC.

Dan

Coris

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jan 2017, 11:27 am »
It seems that Sonica DAC does not include the ES9038pro, but the simpler version of this new chip, ES9028pro... Or it may be something wrong with the marking of the ESS DAC chips, Oppo is using....

Coris

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jan 2017, 11:34 am »
I found another more detailed picture of the DAC chip inside Sonica. There is about ES9038Pro...
Now is the question: why we have different marking for the new ESS DAC chips...?

Ric Schultz

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jan 2017, 04:50 am »
The markings on the 9026/9028/9038 that were first shown on the ESS website (and still there), etc. were from pre production samples.  Hence, no normal labeling.  All the ESS DAC chips look like the ones in the Sonica Picture, which include, what I presume to be batch/date codes.  You cannot tell the difference between a 9028 and 9038 unless you can see the writing....which is smaller than the pre production batches. 

Coris

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jan 2017, 08:11 am »
Thanks Ric for explanation. It make sense also...
As the pre production batch is known it came out with some issues, it may be advisable avoiding the use of that specific marked chips (which it could be on the market out there)...

rbbert

« Reply #32 on: 1 Feb 2017, 06:50 pm »

modwright

« Reply #33 on: 1 Feb 2017, 07:30 pm »
Yep, that is certainly on my list of things to consider!

I have  a unit already pre-ordered, shipped yesterday and on its way to MWI as I write this!

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #34 on: 1 Feb 2017, 08:20 pm »
Yep, that is certainly on my list of things to consider!

I have  a unit already pre-ordered, shipped yesterday and on its way to MWI as I write this!

Dan
No, I mean the description suggests that it has a linear power supply, but I may be misreading it

modwright

« Reply #35 on: 1 Feb 2017, 10:49 pm »
It does have a LPS for the analog audio section.  It also uses a SMPS for all digital and control circuitry. I would like to look at replacing that with a LPS also.

Thanks,

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #36 on: 2 Feb 2017, 12:03 am »
It does have a LPS for the analog audio section.  It also uses a SMPS for all digital and control circuitry. I would like to look at replacing that with a LPS also.

Thanks,

Dan

Ah.  Yes I would think it could make a significant difference.  I guess you will find out!  :D

modwright

« Reply #37 on: 2 Feb 2017, 02:23 am »
You bet! Really looking forward to it!  This is going to be a great DAC!

dminches

« Reply #38 on: 2 Feb 2017, 02:27 am »
You bet! Really looking forward to it!  This is going to be a great DAC!

Please don't make it sound better than the marantz SA8005.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #39 on: 2 Feb 2017, 01:42 pm »
Please don't make it sound better than the marantz SA8005.
Wait a minute.......

I beg to differ.  :green: