STA-9

Eisener Bart

Re: STA-9
« Reply #160 on: 26 Jun 2016, 06:38 pm »
That will be my next step, 4 STA-9. The sound of 2 STA-9 running in bridged mood sounds fantastic. Looking forward to have 4 STA-9.  :drool:

It will be nice to read your conclusion about quadro-amping. What are your speakers?

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #161 on: 26 Jun 2016, 07:10 pm »
It will be nice to read your conclusion about quadro-amping. What are your speakers?
Magnepan 3.3/R

Eisener Bart

« Reply #162 on: 27 Jun 2016, 10:51 am »
Eric, I found that temperature of STA-9 in bridged mode much less than in stereo.
I think you may stack 2 pcs.

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #163 on: 27 Jun 2016, 12:44 pm »
Eric, I found that temperature of STA-9 in bridged mode much less than in stereo.
I think you may stack 2 pcs.
Thanks, that was interesting.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #164 on: 27 Jun 2016, 06:23 pm »
Eric, did you try to feed by 1 STA-9 in stereo mode - 1 speaker?
Actually it looks like quadro-amping.
If yes - what is impression?

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #165 on: 27 Jun 2016, 10:33 pm »
Eric, did you try to feed by 1 STA-9 in stereo mode - 1 speaker?
Actually it looks like quadro-amping.
If yes - what is impression?
I have had each STA-9 in stereo mode. One connected to the tweeter/midrange on both speakers an the other to the bass on both speaker.
The sound is very good, but the speakers needs more power to deliver at top.
When I will have 4 STA-9 they will run in bridged mode. One will feed the tweeter/midrange at the right channel and one the tweeter/midrange at the left channel. The other two will feed the bass in the same way.

srb

« Reply #166 on: 27 Jun 2016, 10:55 pm »
I have had each STA-9 in stereo mode. One connected to the tweeter/midrange on both speakers an the other to the bass on both speaker.

That's called horizontal bi-amping.  Usually vertical bi-amping is more efficient using one stereo amp with L and R channels feeding mid/high and bass on one speaker.  That's usually a more efficient way of distributing power as you don't have two bass panels (which consume much more power than the mid/high) loading down one stereo amplifier.

Often horizontal bi-amping is used when employing different amplifiers for sonic and operational reasons, i.e. a tube amp for the mid/high for it's sonic signature and a solid state amp for control and low impedance operation on the bass.

So it's a bit puzzling that you said "but the speakers needs more power to deliver at top" because your horizontal configuration should have given you all the power you need for the mid/high and the bass should have been the ones lacking power.

I guess it will be a moot point with 4 mono amps.

Steve

Eisener Bart

« Reply #167 on: 27 Jun 2016, 11:55 pm »
I guess it will be a moot point with 4 mono amps.

Why if he will send 290Wts x 4 instead of 120 Wts x 4 ???

srb

« Reply #168 on: 28 Jun 2016, 12:03 am »
Why if he will send 290Wts x 4 instead of 120 Wts x 4 ???

Exactly.  I'm saying the debate / comparison of whether horizontal vs. vertical bi-amping is better with two stereo amps in his scenario will be rendered moot (a non-issue) with 4 bridged amps.

Steve

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #169 on: 28 Jun 2016, 12:19 pm »
Thanks Steve for the information about the different types of bi-amping.
 I didn't know about vertical bi-amping. I will try it right away.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #170 on: 28 Jun 2016, 12:31 pm »
Thanks Steve for the information about the different types of bi-amping.
 I didn't know about vertical bi-amping. I will try it right away.

It's exactly what I've asked you a few posts above.
Very interesting!  :P

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #171 on: 28 Jun 2016, 12:42 pm »
Now I have tried vertical bi-amping and I didn't like it at all. The music became to much laid back for me. I also had to turn up the volume control.
So now I'm back to bridged mode and I like that much more.

srb

« Reply #172 on: 28 Jun 2016, 02:33 pm »
So now I'm back to bridged mode and I like that much more.

I've tried passive bi-amping several times, and always ended up preferring a single more powerful amplifier channel as well.  One time I had a 5 channel amplifier (125W x 5), and 2 of channels were just sitting there unused so I bi-amped the main speakers, and it that case it was a little bit better than not using them at all.

But going to a more powerful 200W + amplifier was better yet than the lower power bi-amp setup.  The more powerful amplifier had more reserves and dynamic power to give the speaker what it needed when it needed it.

So that's my personal experience with passive bi-amping.  If you have extra channels of amplification lying around (and the amplifier cannot be bridged) what the heck, go for it.  But if you can bridge the amps or are able to replace them with a more powerful amplifier, 4 times out of 5 you'll probably be happier with the results.

BTW, many bridgeable amplifiers when bridged can't deal with lower impedance 4 ohm (or less) speakers as the bridged amp often sees half the impedance (2 ohms or less).  Apparently the NuPrime amplifiers don't have this limitation.

Active bi-amping with an active line level crossover (bypassing the speaker's internal passive crossover) does have a lot more potential, but that also comes with additional expense and complexity.

Steve

Jg107

« Reply #173 on: 9 Jul 2016, 10:22 pm »
Hello all,  I just stumbled onto the Nuprime threads last night for the first time and read a lot of posts that has caught my attention :thumb:.  I was wondering how hot these (or ST-10) get idling and under load.  I'm currently using an Adcom GFA 5800 (114* idle) with a Denon receiver (100* idle) and it gets pretty toasty in my small room.

jonbee

« Reply #174 on: 10 Jul 2016, 12:04 am »
Hello all,  I just stumbled onto the Nuprime threads last night for the first time and read a lot of posts that has caught my attention :thumb:.  I was wondering how hot these (or ST-10) get idling and under load.  I'm currently using an Adcom GFA 5800 (114* idle) with a Denon receiver (100* idle) and it gets pretty toasty in my small room.
I have an ST-10, and it gets just a little warm at idle, and it doesn't change much under load (85% efficient). Nowhere near the heat of what you're using.

Jg107

« Reply #175 on: 10 Jul 2016, 01:44 am »
I have an ST-10, and it gets just a little warm at idle, and it doesn't change much under load (85% efficient). Nowhere near the heat of what you're using.

Thank you very much!  I'm new to the hobby and learning everyday.  Until yesterday my short list of amplifiers were Hypex based amplifiers,  the Acoustic Imagery Atsah 500 and the NAD M22.  I have decided to purchase a Parasound P5 preamp,  hopefully it would match nicely with any of these amplifiers.  Now I have to decide on the ST-10 and STA-9(s) as well   :lol: 

JackD

« Reply #176 on: 10 Jul 2016, 03:50 am »
jg107

A little more info about your system would be helpful before giving advice but absent of that I would stick with the ST-10.  It is a higher level and more developed product.  I own the ST-10, DAC-10 and the IDA-8 (which is supposed to be voiced similar to the STA-9)  If that is in fact the case the ST-10 is a far more flexible and resolving amp.  If you want to look on the Hypex front look at the Nord amps instead of the Acoustic Imagery.

Nidri17

« Reply #177 on: 10 Jul 2016, 03:57 am »
Thank you very much!  I'm new to the hobby and learning everyday.  Until yesterday my short list of amplifiers were Hypex based amplifiers,  the Acoustic Imagery Atsah 500 and the NAD M22.  I have decided to purchase a Parasound P5 preamp,  hopefully it would match nicely with any of these amplifiers.  Now I have to decide on the ST-10 and STA-9(s) as well   :lol:

Agreed with the previous comment. The ST-10 is outstanding.
But perhaps also have a look at the NuPrime Amp Comparison Chart:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138606.0

rustydoglim

« Reply #178 on: 10 Jul 2016, 04:44 am »

Thanks. May I know how you get into this hobby? You can PM me if you don't want to elaborate in public. I think we are on the right track to attract new hobbyists into high-end and affordable audio. Some of our products are now approaching DIY pricing (the effort and cost of putting together a Hypex amp is about the same as STA-9).

I will also like to take very opportunity to remind people not to value a product simply based on price alone.
This article explains why we are affordable: http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/sales-contact/about-us.html#faq_28

Eisener Bart

« Reply #179 on: 10 Jul 2016, 09:16 am »
Some of our products are now approaching DIY pricing (the effort and cost of putting together a Hypex amp is about the same as STA-9).

Nope.  :D

Hypex NC400 mono kit costs 650 Euro + transportation and it will be without extra cost for assembling if you
may not do it yourself (from my experience - not all music lovers are able to keep soldering iron in hand  :green: ).
Retail price of STA-9 is 650 USD.