Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Krutsch

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2420 on: 8 Sep 2018, 07:20 pm »
I've added it, should be in a beta I plan to release Thursday (sept 6) night.  It disables the the request for all the fancy artist info stuff, if this is it it should stop.

Chris

OK. I am traveling until next weekend, but will try this out when I return.

By the way, I noticed that the latest release is a “stable build”, as opposed to a BETA. I don’t see how to enable the new Dashboard with the collection of newest albums showing up on the main page.

Do you still have to run a command from the SSH console to enable this or am I not seeing an option somewhere in the UI?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2421 on: 9 Sep 2018, 07:59 pm »
S2.40 will have an official dashboard v2, its already been started so that release should take nearly as long before its out the door.  The official enable dashboard v2 button will start appearing in the S2.39 test/beta releases, still dunno where im going to stick it.  If you search through the readme that appears on the update firmware page you can find both a command and a url for enabling and disabling the dashboard v2 interface.

Chris

Krutsch

« Reply #2422 on: 13 Sep 2018, 11:27 pm »
Finally, this issue is still there:

For what it's worth, I am using a USB flash drive for all files and the one that hosts my 192/24 files is ALSO my swap device. Maybe I can switch the SWAP device to one on the other USB bus and see if that changes anything.

EDIT: That fixed the issue (moving the SWAP drive to another device, which is only hosting Redbook files).

EDIT 2: spoke too soon... problem is still there.

Tested and fixed, with "Enable Artist Info (Bryston API)" disabled, using:

S2.38 2018-09-11
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

No more stuttering with large, high-res (192/24) tracks on the BDP-1.

Nice work.

Well, I am out of bugs to report. Must mean it's time to deprecate Manic Moose and start all over, again, with Nutty Narwhal.  :popcorn:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2423 on: 14 Sep 2018, 04:28 pm »
your not to far off, i have one more planned update and then i move on to start this all over with new features, improved features and whole new set of bugs

Chris

Pundamilia

« Reply #2424 on: 15 Sep 2018, 03:29 am »
Spoken like a true software developer! :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

If one never made any changes to released software, there would never be any bugs. That's progress.

Good job, Chris. Looking forward to the new release (and the new set of bugs).

Calypte

« Reply #2425 on: 15 Sep 2018, 05:09 am »
I have Manic Moose 2.38.  Is there a way to return to the previous 2.36?  Sometimes, instead of displaying a list of recordings, Manic Moose 2.38 throws up a screen full of tiny print listing everything in a particular folder, with no way to access individual items.  A couple of nights ago, when I went to "My Passport" (the name of the hard disk drive), it threw up a screen of gibberish.  There are some nice features with 2.38, and some bugs from 2.36 were fixed, but right now I'm dead in the water.  I can't access my recordings.

Calypte

« Reply #2426 on: 15 Sep 2018, 04:04 pm »
Update: In last night's incident, rebooting MPD cured the immediate problem.  I have no explanation and I perceive no pattern as to why MM 2.38 is prone to sudden misbehavior, which occurred both on my Android cell phone and a computer.

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #2427 on: 16 Sep 2018, 12:41 am »
I'm a little worried about the continuous increase of Space Used.
FWIW, I have less than 797 GB of music and graphics files.
What is it that is making it to grow fast? - is it something related to "Scraping" or is it some other setting that could be disabled?

Scraping goes forever and goes slow, but maybe this is not an issue.

These are my settings, and ~75% ... growing.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2428 on: 16 Sep 2018, 06:24 am »
Hi Fernando,

That's reporting the user space partition (its part of the BDP's internal flash), as you use the Bryston API and explore your music library it will cache more and more data and thus consume more space.  If your worried about running out you can configure a scratch drive (a designated drive to cache files) and the BDP will move the existing cached files to this drive and continue to use it as the designated cache location.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Fernando

« Reply #2429 on: 16 Sep 2018, 04:07 pm »
Hi Fernando,

That's reporting the user space partition (its part of the BDP's internal flash), as you use the Bryston API and explore your music library it will cache more and more data and thus consume more space.  If your worried about running out you can configure a scratch drive (a designated drive to cache files) and the BDP will move the existing cached files to this drive and continue to use it as the designated cache location.

Chris

Hi Chris,

a few minutes ago I updated firmware to S2.38 2018-09-11 -

to my surprise, Bryston API shows unchecked in Settings ...

don't know what to do now ... Space Used reached 76%

I may plug a 32GB USB flash drive and set it as scratch drive, but don't quite like the idea. Would it be large enough?

yes, Bryston API shows un-checked:

Krutsch

« Reply #2430 on: 16 Sep 2018, 04:22 pm »
Hi Fernando,

Chris

So, I have a scratch drive configured, but I still have the same issue - user space partition continues to be consumed.

Krutsch

« Reply #2431 on: 16 Sep 2018, 08:56 pm »
Hi Ken,

I'll make the background an option to be turned off, off by default

Chris

Does that also disable the Music Scraper?

I am noticing that with the Default View -> Enable Artist Info (Bryston API) disabled I only get the spinning wheel and I never see any Artist Info in the Artist View.

I am referring to the spinning wheel to the right of Albums (1) in the example:

Krutsch

« Reply #2432 on: 16 Sep 2018, 09:07 pm »
One more defect, after reviewing my library with the current BETA build:

S2.38 2018-09-11

In the Artist View, Florence + the Machine trips up on the '+' symbol. The band really is listed with the '+' instead of an 'and'. In the Artist View, the listing shows 1 album with 0 songs. In the Default View, it lists and plays just fine.

Notice that the '+' is missing from the Artist name in the white on black banner, but is shown correctly in the lists of artists on the left.

Fernando

« Reply #2433 on: 17 Sep 2018, 02:53 am »
So, I have a scratch drive configured, but I still have the same issue - user space partition continues to be consumed.

mine, it was consumed from 76% this morning to 88% now ... i bet it will reach 100% soon.
how large should scratch be?

Fernando.-

Fernando

« Reply #2434 on: 17 Sep 2018, 03:47 pm »
mine, it was consumed from 76% this morning to 88% now ... i bet it will reach 100% soon.
how large should scratch be?

Fernando.-

Hi Chris,

how large?

:o

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2435 on: 19 Sep 2018, 12:37 pm »
Hi Fernando,

To give you an idea of how much space your currently using the user space that the pie chart represents is the following sizes

BDP-1 & BDP-2 (1GB), so a 32 GB thumb drive would provide 32x the storage
BDP-3 (20GB), so you’d gain roughly another 1/3.  We dilberatly gave the BDP-3 all lot more space as it was being designed while these software features were being developed.
BDP-Pi (3GB), so you’d gain 10x the storage.

Hope this helps

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2436 on: 19 Sep 2018, 12:40 pm »
One more defect, after reviewing my library with the current BETA build:

S2.38 2018-09-11

In the Artist View, Florence + the Machine trips up on the '+' symbol. The band really is listed with the '+' instead of an 'and'. In the Artist View, the listing shows 1 album with 0 songs. In the Default View, it lists and plays just fine.

Notice that the '+' is missing from the Artist name in the white on black banner, but is shown correctly in the lists of artists on the left.

Is this still broken?  If so could you place the bdp into service mode and email me the service id?

Chris

Fernando

« Reply #2437 on: 19 Sep 2018, 02:19 pm »
Hi Fernando,

To give you an idea of how much space your currently using the user space that the pie chart represents is the following sizes

BDP-1 & BDP-2 (1GB), so a 32 GB thumb drive would provide 32x the storage
BDP-3 (20GB), so you’d gain roughly another 1/3.  We dilberatly gave the BDP-3 all lot more space as it was being designed while these software features were being developed.
BDP-Pi (3GB), so you’d gain 10x the storage.

Hope this helps

Chris

Hi Chris,

I will start by using the thumb drive, 'though I was just about to mount a new 2TB MyPassport.
I held myself because of the 500mA warning on page 5 MMoose manual, and still don't know how many mA does it need.
Hope I can use it as another back-up of my music files. Feel that those MyPassport are power-hungry, have had bad experiences with early models.

Fernando.

Fernando

« Reply #2438 on: 19 Sep 2018, 04:16 pm »
Chris,

Another related question: If I have 2 disk units ( or 3, 4, 5 disk units ), with the very same file contents ( each one is a copy ), then: does User Space double, triplicate, x4, x5 etc. ? - or does it remain the same, as files are the same into each attached disk ? - or does it increase following a different ratio than y=2.x; y=3.x; y=4.x; etc. ? - Space Used jumped from 1% to 2% after I put the NAS online and Reset Database, but not sure.

The thumb drive seems Ok - nice to have only 2% of consumed User Space, and it scrapes faster too, in fact the BDP2 tells me it has Finished Scraping  :thumb:

Fernando.-

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2439 on: 19 Sep 2018, 05:11 pm »
If the content is identical then there should be no reason to scrape additional content as the scraped data is relevant to the tag data.  So if you plug in one drive with Leonard Cohen the BDP will scrape the relevant data for Leonard Cohen.  If you plug in more drives with Leonard Cohen it won't add any additional data unless the new drives contain additional Leonard Cohen albums that the original drive didn't contain.  The BDP will also check for new data if the existing cached data exceeds an age of 4 days.

Also for measuring current consumption by USB devices I keep one of these around the office and at home, there reasonably accurate, accurate enough anyways.

https://www.amazon.ca/DROK-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Capacitance/dp/B00J3JSEG6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537376784&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+current+meter

Chris