Omega B200 Aperiodic prototypes (long)....

Louis O

« Reply #80 on: 7 Aug 2005, 01:13 am »
Hi Russell,

No worries at all.

Your idea is very good and would have the right synergy. Shipping the OB is pretty easy and a box with an open side to mate up with the OB would complete the design. The bottom box can be attached with screws once I predrilled with the Kreg jig and act as the support for the OB.

Thanks again,
Louis

Bemopti123

« Reply #81 on: 7 Aug 2005, 07:39 am »
Hi Louis:

I have met you in the NYC Audio Rave in CT, at Hogg's.  The idea of making an OB with the B200s as well as a companion sealed sub box to augument the bass is more than intriguing!  The box cosmetics would need not to be too great if you hide it behind the OB itself.  What is intriguing about this possible design is the hope of getting some tangible low frequencies from a fullrange set up.  

I have heard several fullrange versions of the Fostex's, sealed or hornloaded and although many of them do extremely well in the HF and the midrange, I was sorely disappointed along with other people at the lack of "heft" in the low end.

Strangely enough, most of the Fostex versions did go down to around low 40s and even to mid 30s, but could not compete with BR 2 way minimonitors that were rated to around 50hz.  I do not know why of this discrepancy in perceived heft or low end.  

The only FR single driver that was able to quench my thirst to LF was a pair of F200As in a rather large, almost 100lbs cabinets that were made by Bob Brines called FTA-2000s.  

The OB with the augumented BR low frequency box has great, I mean great potential, if it is able to produce heft in the lows.  

PS:  Doesn't this design sound very similar to the Dick Olsher speaker, as well as that German outfit that sells a similar set for around 2.5K?  

Great potential here....as long as the price is not prohibitive.  Care nary around looks, more about the sound.

Paul

Louis O

« Reply #82 on: 11 Aug 2005, 01:00 am »
Hi Paul,

Many thanks fort your post and it was great meeting you at Jim’s.

The whole idea of an Ob with the B200 and a sealed box for bass would be a great way to go. Looks like it would be very similar to the Soundlabs in looks. The box would support the baffle as well. There are a variety of ways to build it.

Fostex speakers can go down pretty well, but the heft you talk about has a lot to do with the drivers throw and also how you place them in the room. The F200a is a driver that can produce more bass at the expense of SPL and has more throw than most other Fostex drivers.

The Hemp and the B200 are rare in the fact that they do go low with authority. It’s really surprising. The bass is one thing, but overall they are amazing in what they can do.

The speaker by Dick Olsher and Bastanis is similar in concept. Adding the B200 on top instead of Lowther is a major plus.

Thanks again,
Louis