4-way OB array

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: 4-way OB array
« Reply #20 on: 28 Sep 2007, 02:04 pm »

Glad I've found something that could work.

Rick - on your point about not blocking the back wave, it does look kind of congested there.  I could pry off the sheilding, but I don't know how much of a difference that will make.

It may not be that big of a deal considering your upper end crossover point but an open frame certainly wouldn't hurt. I would consider one of the Dayton RS180's in the unshielded version. For your application a metal cone driver is ideal.

Angaria

« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2007, 02:40 pm »
Thanks Rick.  Do you mean the 4 ohm version?  I don't see a specifically unsheilded version otherwise.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 28 Sep 2007, 02:54 pm »
Thanks Rick.  Do you mean the 4 ohm version?  I don't see a specifically unsheilded version otherwise.

Yes, 4-ohm. You can vary the number of drivers and /or wiring to achieve the impedance that you need.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2007, 04:14 pm »
zobsky: "Curious, .. why are you abandoning your planar tweeter solution?"

I decided the quality of the treble wasn't quite what I wanted, and altho I could afford to buy 16 $28 tweeters, I choose not to afford 16 or 20 or 30 $180 tweeters.  I have a pair of Aurum Cantus G2s, one of which I'll install between two of the LS drivers.  I understand the balance between B/MR and treble will be right only at one distance, but I listen at only one distance, so that's just fine with me.

Also I'll be using MUCH narrower baffles (and more electronic equalization) this time.

Angaria

« Reply #24 on: 6 Oct 2007, 11:09 pm »
I now have the specs on the $10 6.5" Sonic Craft woofers - posting since several people were interested in them. Qts is pretty low.

Angaria

« Reply #25 on: 6 Oct 2007, 11:50 pm »
dropped this into MJK's OB simulator crossed over @700Hz 2nd order just to get a rough idea of how deep these would go on a 30" wide baffle 1m from the rear wall

Looks like it might get to 70 hz with EQ (2mm excursion 2 that point, and I don't know xmax).  Overall system is limited to 88dB efficiency by the rd75's.  Again, this is just for 1 driver.

Now, 2 drivers and removing the rear wall, 6db boost.
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2007, 02:49 am by Angaria »

emac

« Reply #26 on: 7 Oct 2007, 12:15 am »

I have already been working on an open baffle line source, and hope to have something available in the first quarter of next year.

I also have 12" subs in the works specifically for the open baffle application and it involves some new patented technology that will put them well beyond any other open baffle sub. I'd fill you in on the details if you like, but not here.

I can't wait to get further along on it, fun, fun.

Very interesting.  Combining the best of both worlds.  Considering that these speakers would be open baffle, it wouldn't be all that difficult to put them together. 

Would these be an AV123 product as well, or just sold through GR Research?

Thanks.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #27 on: 7 Oct 2007, 12:18 am »
Very interesting.  Combining the best of both worlds.  Considering that these speakers would be open baffle, it wouldn't be all that difficult to put them together. 

Would these be an AV123 product as well, or just sold through GR Research?

We'll see where it goes. Right now nothing is in stone.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 7 Oct 2007, 09:21 am »
I wish you a large listening room and lot's of amp power.  I would wish you a large listening room in any case.  Even stand mounted monitors sound better in large rooms save for a loss of sound pressure in the low end.  I'm thinking baffleless and dynamic drivers, which has advantages I identify with, require some heavy juice?  Educate me, Danny.
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2007, 09:33 am by jimdgoulding »

Angaria

« Reply #29 on: 9 Oct 2007, 11:10 pm »
After a conversation with Jeff Glowacki I've been convinced my rd75's are overkill since I already have a bunch of neo3's.
I'm going to try and see how a bunch of the sonic craft drivers work out - for the price I can afford to experiment.

But I'm sure the rd-75'S would be perfect for someone else hint* hint*

cloud

« Reply #30 on: 9 Dec 2007, 04:50 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=32172.0

The Sonic Craft JG65 6-1/2" B/MR drivers are only $10 each in 24s and they sound GREAT.  Properly baffled and filtered they're good for about 50Hz - 2.5KHz.

Jeffrey, or anyone else that may know, can you still get these drivers?  I've googled and googled and came up empty handed.

Angaria

« Reply #31 on: 10 Dec 2007, 02:55 am »
cloud - you need to call sonic craft directly - they'll know what you're talking about.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 10 Dec 2007, 03:34 am »
Call SC at 800/689-4434...Elliott will indeed know of which you speak.  Weeks ago they still had several cartons.  Don't forget to buy the black buttonhead Torx-type screws, too.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 10 Dec 2007, 03:34 am »
Angaria, have you built something with the JG65s?

Angaria

« Reply #34 on: 10 Dec 2007, 03:45 am »
Waiting for Christmas break...

Ingredients are 30 neo3's, the 6.5 woofers, deq/dcx2496, 40 & 150 watt gainclones.

cloud

« Reply #35 on: 10 Dec 2007, 04:23 am »
Thanks, I'll give him a call in the morning!

Any chance you have a picture of them up close or have any measurement data on them?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 10 Dec 2007, 06:51 am »

Someone posted specs above.  But I agree with J-Glo--anyone who studies the specs says they can't sound great in OB.  Those of us who BUY and USE the drivers simply LOVE them...so...don't study, DO buy and build.